Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Reduced shed on Metformin?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by mjh, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mjh

mjh Guest

this might be my imagination but I think my shed has gone down significantly while being on Met. Whenever I would comb, a big cluster of hair would come out and now it's just a few strands. I take 500 mgs per day and I've been on it for a couple of weeks. Haven't noticed any weight reduction though. Guess I'll have to wait and see if it really does help my hair. My insulin was on the high end of normal.

2. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have any personal experience with Met. but i have heard from women on other boards that it reduced their shed almost immediately... so i would take it as a GREAT sign!

3. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

Met made my shed worse... and I started to thin in the crown area where I never had an issue... when I went off of it the crown filled back in...

My mom has never had hair loss issues... she went on HRT for meno and Met for her diabetes and her hair thinned out right after...

But... I also know ppl who have had great luck w/ Met...

4. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    i think it may be one of those things where if you don't have hair loss, it may hurt your hair... but if you DO have hair loss, then it may help your hair... seems like most things are like that... Spironolactone, BC pills, etc.

5. kimm

kimm Guest

this is one of the meds I've been curious about.

the obgyns I've seen in the past and the endo I saw yesterday didn't seem keen on it unless you test positive for insulin resistance.

I haven't yet, but I know some people use it anyway and have some success getting their symptoms under control

I'm seeing an RE in a few weeks, because it sounds like he knows a fair bit about pcos and the different ways it presents itself. My sis sees him and she's a rail! He put her on met but as a part of a program of trying to conceive. Hoping this guy is open to helping me with my hairloss issue. I had to write it in on the forms they sent to get your symptoms. Probably not a good sign huh?

I'm having a hard time getting answers though. I think my loss is linked to pcos but noone knows what to do with me since I don't have all the typical signs.

Oh! Make sure to take an extra b complex. I've heard met depletes your b vitamins and that can cause shedding. I read about a few women adding this while on met and it slowed it up for them.

6. mjh

mjh Guest

Well, my endo said that Met should help my hair so I'm hoping that's the case. I've read stories on the PCOS forum of women who grew their hair back when they got their insulin under control.

Kimm: you don't have to have all the PCOS symptoms in order to have PCOS. Just a couple of them like extra body hair or irregular periods are enough for PCOS, unfortunately. Try soulcysters.net....it helped me a lot. They have doctor recommendations and that's what got me on Met.

7. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Someone close to me has PCOS and recently acquired type 2 diabetes with age. They were put on metformin and both of us have noticed an improvement in hair density, esp on the top.

My Derm also suggested Metformin at some point, which i found bizarre given i dont have diabetes (yet!), but i've read good stuff about it in the hair department which is why he was probably contemplating it at a future date!

It sounds like it is working for you :bravo:

8. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Yeah for you! Hopefully you'll get some regrowth!

9. kaylee

kaylee Guest

I think you're right! My mom takes met for her diabetes and since then she's losing more hair! Yet her hair isnt showing signs of thinning....strange.

10. mjh

mjh Guest

Oh thanks for the encouragement! I hope that I am really shedding less and not just imagining things, lol.

11. kimm

kimm Guest

Wishing you the best!

I love hearing about successes with different treatments. Gives me some hope!

Really hoping I can find a doctor who's willing to figure me out!

12. kimm

kimm Guest

Hey MJH?

Can you keep us posted on how met's working for you?

I just talked to a GP a few days ago, and he surprisingly knew a lot about insulin resistance and pcos.
    More than any endo or obgyn I've talked to so far! He suggested I look into it.

So I have a feeling that the RE I'll be talking to next week will want me to take it as well. Don't know that for sure, just have a feeling based on my sister's experience with him. His daughter's apparently are showing signs of it so he has a very vested interest in knowing a lot about it. (pcos)

I'm hoping if I do end up going this route that it works. I'm really afraid of making anything worse!

Trying to avoid going to Redmond for a little bit. I've done the bcps and androgen blockers and am ready to try something new here. Not ruling them out, just thinking this might be worth a try!

13. mjh

mjh Guest

Hi Kimm!

Glad to hear that your doctor is good one. If you are IR then Met should help with the hair loss. I think I am shedding less than before. Before my hair would come out if I just tugged at it a little but now it's not. My endo told me that I should get regrowth from Met but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. She also said that Spironolactone would help but I can't take that right now. If your insulin is the problem then it makes sense to correct it, and it would also make sense to get regrowth from Met.

I think that it's also helping with the acne. I usually break out before my period and I didn't as much this time.

14. kimm

kimm Guest

the problem is that I don't test positive for insulin resistance. Hypoglycemic actually. The GP I talked to explained that isn't necessarily an indicator that I'm not insulin resistant though. I wish I could restate what he explained to me but I couldn't if I tried!

He did seem to think it might help get my estrogen up and balance things out so who knows. I'm hoping this next doctor is as good as I'm hoping he is and can help lead me in the right direction to get all balanced out.

I'm not all gung ho on going on this medicine. I'm actually hesitant because I've heard of people losing on it as well.

Hope it continues to work for you! I love reading success stories.

Hey do you like your lasercomb? Noticed it in your regime. I've been thinking about it myself as another add on. It's expensive though so I've been hesitant.

15. dying curls

dying curls Guest

ALONG WITH METH YOU NEED TO BE SURE THough to take some B vitamins because met as a tendency to deplente bvitamins store...and since B vitamins are linkes to rion i think, alsomake sure your iron is ok.

16. mjh

mjh Guest

I wasn't insulin resistant either...I was within the normal range but on the high end which meant that it was going to go out of range if I didn't take care of it. There are a lot of diabetics in my family too. But i just went to the bathroom and it was terrible...Met might give you diarrhea (sorry, TMI).

I think that Met might cause TE in some people but it will help if your hair loss is due to PCOS related Androgenetic Alopecia.

The lasercomb initially helped a lot. My hair looked a lot better for about a couple years but lately it seems not to be working as well. I think that's also because I'm kind of lazy with it now. It really makes my scalp feel good! And it totally helps with the health of my hair.

Dying curls: I do take a B complex supplement and I just started taking iron yesterday too. I've heard that cinnamon also helps with PCOS so that's next on my list!

17. dying curls

dying curls Guest

cinema helps above all insulin but i think if you're on met you dont rellayneed it?? since the met takes care of the insulin thing?

18. kimm

kimm Guest

thanks for replying girls!

I'm actually going to get a bunch of bloodwork done tomorrow, recommended by another gynecologist. (I'm interviewing doctors right now, and driving them nuts!)

Iron is on the list as well as some other vitamins. I'm going to try and get a copy so I can see for myself if other things are contributing.

Can someone recommend a good vitamin B supp? I'm actually thinking of starting on one now to get my stores up. That way if I do start Met, maybe I can avoid a related shed.

Still trying to decide on the lasercomb. I'm really tempted. Need all the help I can get at this point. I'm just dropping so much money lately! I just put a big honking down payment on a topper to help me get through this.

19. kimm

kimm Guest

hey mjh -

Any updates?

Is your shed still down?