Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Regarding Inositol And Iron: My Experience

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by MouseGraft, Jun 12, 2018.

1. MouseGraft

MouseGraft Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just wanted to share this experience.

After I had my son three years ago, I had a massive shed. I also developed post-partum OCD, and read that high doses of inositol could help with that. I started taking 12 grams a day (I also went on sertraline). The OCD improved, and I continued taking 6g inositol daily for the next two and a half years, approximately. Discontinued sertraline after 9 months. Some days I wonder if sertraline made my hair grow, but then I conclude, probably not.

A lot of the TE hair grew back, in fact, thicker than it had been before I was pregnant, and I thought, maybe it's the inositol? Some women with PCOS have found hair success with it.

About a year and a half ago, I started experiencing fatigue with physical weakness. After pushing doctors for a year (thyroid and CBC normal), I finally got a ferritin test, which showed it was 19.

I then went through months of supplementing with iron, getting ferritin up fairly high (like 70-90 range) only to have it drop right back down to 30-40 within a month (I've been getting private iron labs monthly to track it). I was sure I had some sort of absorption problem., so I went on an elimination diet but couldn't figure it out.

The problem was, I was only reading forums full of women with low iron. One day, by accident, I stumbled onto a forum full of men with high iron, and it turned out they were successfully using inositol to chelate iron and reduce their ferritin. Bingo.

I stopped taking inositol and my iron is now more or less stable (like, ferritin decreasing 10 points in a month instead of 60). I've decided that supplementing during my period will probably be enough to maintain it.

Also, I think that getting my ferritin up to 90 may have helped slow, but not stop, my shed. Once it stabilized I had a session of PRP, which has now caused its own horrible shed (3 weeks in), but that's another story, I guess.