Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Regrowth everywhere but on top - is that Androgenetic Alopecia?

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Greene, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Greene

Greene Guest

Back from my hair appointment with my fabulous stylist, who took time before cutting my hair to look at it more than any doctor has yet (proving she's great, and these doctors are pretty sub-par). She said I have a TON of regrowth in the back, and I said I'm really concerned about the top, because I haven't noticed anything there--she agreed and said there is a tiny bit of regrowth but nothing really when compared to the back.

I'm still so confused on this--can Androgenetic Alopecia present as a single, one-time (6 month) massive shed and then no hair grows back in a certain area?

I assume if it was just TE, hair would grow back everywhere at the same time. If it was iron or hormonal, same thing...right?

I just thought with Androgenetic Alopecia you at least got regrowth for awhile, and it got thinner and thinner...not: Hair fell out, hair never comes back. Or am I totally delusional and that is exactly what might happen with Androgenetic Alopecia? :dunno:

2. RugBug

RugBug Guest

well, my friend....that appears to be what's happened to me. Now, granted....I haven't given Rogaine time to do it's thing yet....but the back and sides seemed to have grown back all on their own. I even cut a chunk of hair off to send to Flora today and didn't think a thing of the loss. However....the front and top....ugh...Ugh...UGH!

3. Claire10

Claire10 Guest

I have a similar issue. I have about a 1" x 4" thin patch on the right side of my head, behind my bangs. It looks really bad wet. :thumbsdown:

4. RugBug

RugBug Guest

hey Claire.....you might be happy to know that we share a part/thin spot with a Victoria Secret model....I was looking through the catalog today and one of those girls has a spot right where I do (which sounds just like yours)

5. Chickadee

Chickadee Guest

Hair can look a lot thinner on the crown because light hits it directly.

Moreover, I think some areas can take longer to grow back than others. I remember a couple of gals on the site quoting their derms, who said that the front of the crown often takes an especially long time to grow back. (I think Robin71 was one of the people who said this.) I have a couple of spots on my crown AND right in front of my ears (!) where regrowth seems to be taking longer than anywhere else.

How long has it been since your TE stopped and regrowth has occurred (on the back of your head)?

6. Greene

Greene Guest

Actually, I don't think my TE has stopped...I'm still shedding regularly. April is month 6 of non-stop shedding. I guess I'm just regrowing some hair at the same time. Just not on top. :(

Was your hair loss TE, Chickadee?

7. Chickadee

Chickadee Guest

8. Greene

Greene Guest

Thanks, Chickadee. There are so many causes out there, it seems like most women can track their hair loss to more than one issue--I wouldn't be surprised if the TE the back of my head is recovering from was caused by one thing (BCP) and the top which is not recovering is still affected by something separate (whether it's Androgenetic Alopecia or iron or whatever).

9. Claire10

Claire10 Guest

Well I'm glad to know that I have something in common with a VS model, lollers.

But seriously, this one thin spot is truly maddening. The rest of my hair looks fine. UGH