Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

regrowth questions

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by rayneStormRN, Apr 17, 2007.

1. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

Does anybody know why the regrowth is initially white? and how long it takes to convert to your natural color? just curious.

2. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

I think it because it doesnt have any pigment just yet.....hmmm I'm sure you may know that already. Apparently it doesnt take too long So I was told before the natural pigment returns.

3. dreamweaver

dreamweaver Guest

Just a few weeks. I was using it as a gauge to see how much hair I was actually growing back. This is a good sign for you. Peach fuzz, white hair - a very good sign.

4. maudehimmel

maudehimmel Guest

My 'peach fuzz' has been coming and going for 9 months, so untill it gets any colour I am just gonna shave it off again.

The fuzz is so awful and it is annoying under my wigs.

5. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

i now have ALMOST a full head of hair, and a LOT of it has turned brown again. for awhile i could say "if it's brown it never fell out", that's no longer true. i'm in the process of growing my hair out, altho i still have a COUPLE areas with no hair. my last derm visit he injected i think just six spots, down from the fifteen the previous visit, and WAY down from the "too much scalp, shot in arm" numerous visits ago. every time i check those remaining spots i'm finding more and more "peach fuzz" and also everytime i look in the mirror there's less white and more brown. i'm really getting hopeful here.

altho i will have to admit, when the time comes that i can forget the wig, i will SOOOOO much miss the convenience i wig provides. brush it at night, get up in morning and hair is done. simple, easy, convenient, but not MY hair.

6. lharrison

lharrison Guest

I am getting th esame injections as you are , my hair is coming in dark and white. This is a long process, I am hoping to throw my hat away by halloween.
    lharrison

7. HHULETTE01

HHULETTE01 Guest

WHITE

WELL MINE HAS GROWN BACK SILVER OR WHITE AS WELL AND IT IS DUE TO THERE NOT BEING ANY PIGMENT BUT THERE ARE CASES THAT IT WILL STAY THAT COLOR FROM NOW ON IT MAY NOT GO BACK TO NATURAL COLOR AND WILL NOT DYE I HAVE A FRIEND THAT HAS HAD Alopecia Areata FOR YEARS AND HERS IS STILL WHITE ALL OVER AND SHE IS A HAIR DRESSER IT WILL NOT DYE THERE IS NO PIGMENT TO DYE SORRY I GUESS WHITE HAIR IS BETTER THAN NO HAIR IT IS CAUSED FROM THE STEROID INJECT

8. dreamweaver

dreamweaver Guest

It's been two years since this all started for me and I still have a white streak in the back of my head. It's a battle scar I wear proudly. Who really care though it can come back purple and I'd be happy.

9. lharrison

lharrison Guest

Can anyone give me any info on using iodine?i have stopped injection as per my derm. I am afraid, the spots are going to come back, it seems like I have been getting these shots forever!!!! only since June 07(to 8/07) hair coming in everywhere, I started out w/at least 15 spots, this just seems to good to be true, my hair is not long, anymore short, but Iam glad...please give me any info..you can.
    Thanks,
    lharrison

10. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

i don't know anything about using iodine....i stopped my injections just over a month ago, but just becuase it all seems to be growing in. hopefully someone else can answer your iodine question.

i also agree that i don't care if i'm left with white streaks, or no white, as long as it's growing, altho at this point it looks like all of mine will be turning brown again.

11. lharrison

lharrison Guest

raynestormrn,
    So, you have stopped injections, so have I . I am nervous..that this is not going to work...I guess because I have been dealing w/this since 02/07.. I am not gotten any new patches, of course..my hair is short but. all different lengths..happy to have it though...so r u not doing anything now?? how long have u been battling this??Please keep me posted.
    lharrison

12. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

just over a year ago i had a full head of hair, august of 2006 i developed one bald spot that rapidly turned into three, and while i didn't SEE new bald spots (turned out i had a ton in the back) i noticed i had half the hair i used to. i've been wearing a wig since about january of this year, i think.

i still hit the white spots with topical steroids, and the one remaining bald spot i hit with the steroids, but no injections at this point, if i notice any new spots i'll probably start them again. we'll see........still gotta get pictures

13. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Girls, :)

I have heard of using white iodine to treat Alopecia Areata patches. However, I have not used it myself and would be wary of doing so simply because it could affect your thyroid function.

The principle behind the iodine is the same principle that other safer topicals for Alopecia Areata are prescribed. They cause an irritation so the immune system is fooled ,stops attacking the hair follicle & the hair can regrow.

Many times we are fooled into thinking that we have control over our Alopecia Areata. Well the last bout of Alopecia Areata I had taught me I had little if any control over it.

At this time there is no sure cure that puts the Alopecia Areata into permanent remission. The treatments available work at regrowing the hair back that has been lost. If the Alopecia Areata remains active you could be regrowing hair back in one place and losing it in another. That's exactly what happened with me. I eventually had to give up when I realized I was losing the battle .

It's all so very unpredictable . I met a mom in another support group I'm in who had two daughters with Alopecia Areata. They both went completely bald. The decision was made to not try any treatments. One daughter eventually grew all her hair back the other daughter regrew some but enough to go wig free. That is in the same family.

The good news is that in spite of what many people may think most people don't go on to have the more severe froms of AT or Alopecia Universalis and even those that do have full regrowth sometimes.

In my own experience I had all the markers for a poor prognosis: I was diagnosed so young (4) , my great grandmother also had Alopecia Areata and I had allegies and eczema too. Still I had a long period of time when my Alopecia Areata was in full remission (about 20 years)

The best advice I can give you is to enjoy the fact that your hair has grown back and try not to worry about Alopecia Areata flaring up again. Easier said than done I know but taking it a day at a time will help. :)

Wishing you all hairy days ahead. Hugs, Joann