Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Replicel

Discussion in 'New Research, Studies, and Discoveries' started by ksmart917, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ksmart917

ksmart917 Guest

Yup. That's it!!! Fingers crossed.

2. Kamille

Kamille Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello girls and thank your for this news. I am always happy to hear about new potential treatments. I just think that the percentage of hair growth expected by Replicel (20%) is low. Maybe I ask for too much...

3. Nilli57211

Nilli57211 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think they necessarily expect only 20%. They're just saying that if they can get 20%, they'll have something better than anything on the market right now.

Men who are completely bald for example - 20% of nothing will still be nothing. On top of my head, I only have about 20% of my original hair, so an additional 20% OF THAT will not be worth it to me, as Rogaine is probably accomplishing that and more. So I don't think they're really AIMING for 20%. Also, from everything I've heard, the results should be compoundable, meaning the procedure can be done over and over until you have all the hair you want. So that way, even if it is 20%, you can just get it done over and over until you have what you want.

They're only in phase 1 at this point - they haven't even gotten to the part where they determine the most effective dosages. I'm really hopeful for this one and can't wait for next spring to find out how they've done!

4. Kamille

Kamille Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Nilli and thanks for your answer. Here is a link to an interview of David Hall (Replicel) by Spencer Kobren (The bald truth):
    http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showthread.php?t=6576
    I haven't listened to it yet but I think it will give more information about Replicel and the tests. So far I have just read the commentaries made by the listeners, some of them are about this 20% growth and people usually think like you :) .

5. Jenn32

Jenn32 Guest

New press release from Replicel. Preliminary efficacy results are on track to be released in April 2012. Keeping my fingers, toes, and other random body parts crossed that they are being successful at regrowing hair.

http://www.replicel.com/replicel-provid ... al-trials/

6. ksmart917

ksmart917 Guest

7. Kamille

Kamille Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the links.
    I hope we'll have good news in April :)

8. Nilli57211

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think that's necessarily true. If it can regenerate hair follicles, it may be able to do the same with Alopecia Areata sufferers. The main problem with Alopecia Areata is that they also need to find what's at the core of the autoimmune hair loss so any added hair follicles can be permanent.

Also, maybe they'll come up with a successful treatment for Alopecia Areata as well.

P.S. This study is using both men and women as subjects. :)
    Stay positive! :)

9. sadness

sadness Guest

This is off topic and doesnt belong here but I cant navigate this forum well enough to put it in its correct place.

I too have been feeling "the struggle" and lately alot of paranoia. If I eat this will it cause my hair to fall? If I take the antibiotic my dentist gave me will my hair fall? If he puts a metal filling in instead of a composite filling will my hair fall?

I am just so anxious about every littlle thing and whatever that thing is will make my hair worse that I am going to put myself into a TE!

Im afraid to do anything but breathe right now. I need to find a way to get positive relax and live!

Again my apologies for posting this in the wrong place. HereToday's statement about the struggle just hit a nerve. I am in no way trying to hijack a thread.

Have a good day ladies.

10. sadness

sadness Guest

Yes I think we could start a thread like that of some sort!

We can call it "is hairloss messing with your head?" :woot:

What a ride this is. Definitely a story for the grandchildren. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reply, its nice to know that I am not the only one that obsesses over such things.

take care, Melissa

PS. YOU HAVE TO EAT!

11. Nilli57211

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't agree with this at all. I would say that men have it easier than we do just because society expects them to go bald and it's commonplace. Whereas the idea of a balding woman is a completely foreign concept to most people, and it's treated like some freakish disorder. I don't even tell people about my hair loss anymore because I'm afraid that their response will ruin my day. They always suggest things like vitamins, less stress, bette diet, etc. Because it doesn't even occur to them that I could be losing my hair in a way similar to a man's hair loss.

BUT...I wouldn't say there is no stigma. There are tons of men who are waiting for the results of this research just as anxiously as we are. I see men on hair loss forums who seem just as upset about their hair loss as I am about mine. Some even take birth control pills in the hope that it'll help! Add to that the fact that generally speaking, their baldness is usually much more obvious than our thinning. I've lost 80% of the hair on top of my head, and still people usually don't notice it unless I actually point it out (which I've stopped doing of course).

I guess some men can rock the bald look, but I generally don't find it sexy, and I don't think most women do to be honest. I especially feel bad for young men who are going visibly bald, ESPECIALLY the ones who had a great head of hair in their teens. I know what that's like - as a teenager, my thick, curly hair was my pride and joy, and it was just gone way too soon (it started falling out when I was in high school). I can't even imagine how it would be to be 18 with a bald spot and a receding hairline.

I think the problem is that anyone who's not experiencing hair loss just can't empathize with it or view it as a serious problem. They think, "big deal, people are going bald, we shouldn't waste money on that but focus on important things like cancer." Look at some of the ignorant comments Bill Gates has made about baldness research. It's really not something anyone can understand until they actually have to go through it themselves. That's why this research has been on the back burner for so long. If people had taken it more seriously, I'm sure we would have had a cure a long time ago. I am glad that there are companies now who are taking it seriously and real efforts are now being made.

12. Jenn32

Jenn32 Guest

UGH. DEPRESSING!

So I just read the long-awaited interim analysis of Replicel's Phase I clinical trial -- for the treatment that they were hoping would regrow hair by 20%, which seemed low to a lot of us.

http://www.replicel.com/replicel-releas ... cal-trial/

The outcome of interest (to me, at least) is that terminal (thick) hair density increased by 3.2% in participants. There was also a 12.5% increase in vellus (crap-quality) hair.

I'm going back to bed...

13. Nilli57211

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that does suck. Trying to be positive though - maybe their phase II will come up with a better formula.

Histogen's results still blow those way out of the water. And unfortunately, Histogen right now is only doing testing on men. Replicel was my favorite because they were focusing on both genders, but I don't have a huge amount of hope for them anymore.

I sent Histogen an email in 2010 telling them that women need this just as much or more than men, and they responded saying that they are planning a female study as well. Well, now it's 2012, and I still don't see a female study or even concrete plans for one. Maybe we should all just start bombarding them with emails saying women need this too! It's not all about balding men!

14. Nilli57211

Dislikes Received:
    Just watched this interview:

http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showthread.php?t=8388

I think we were too negative. Replicel has not necessarily failed. Their results were based on 16 people, so these numbers don't even carry statistical power really.

Also, there were people who had density increases in the teens - the 5% figure includes people in whom it didn't work at all and who had a final hair count lower than the initial, which skewed results. Remember there were men in this trial as well, possibly older men with pretty extensive balding. I've always thought that these treatments would likely work better in women than in men, just like Rogaine, because our hair follicles aren't as far gone as theirs. I am curious to know whether gender had anything to do with success rate.

And keep in mind it's only been 6 months. For all we know, results could be significantly better at the 1 year mark. AND Replicel is not the only company working on this. It's possible that the solution may actually end up combining several approaches, and that the companies may end up teaming up IMO.

15. Thursday

Thursday Guest

I know this is an older post, but are you sure this product can regenerate hair follicels? If so, that means dead follicels can be alive again correct? So, basically this is a potential cure for any type of hair loss I hope someone replies to this!!!

16. somegirl

somegirl Guest

Histogen claims to grow new hair :) so there definitely is room for hope.
    http://www.histogen.com/aboutus/news_events.htm#25

- - - Updated - - -

In this second clinical trial of HSC, which was designed with an additional treatment timepoint, the increase in total hair count was 46.5% above that seen in the pilot HSC trial at 12 weeks. Statistical significance was noted in all efficacy endpoints, which include increases in total hair count (p=0.0013), terminal hairs (p=0.0135), and hair thickness (p=0.026). A significant increase in vellus hair count (p=0.033) was seen for the first time, supporting the hypothesis that the HSC treatment rescues dying follicles, in addition to converting vellus to terminal hairs and increasing the number of hairs per follicle. Statistical significance continued to be seen at the 24 week time point.

- - - Updated - - -

We are excited that HSC has not only continued to show unprecedented results, but that the addition of a second treatment time point in the Phase I/II clinical trial has resulted in even greater hair growth than the pilot study," said Gail K. Naughton, Ph.D., Histogen CEO and Chairman of the Board. "Particularly compelling is the growth seen in more difficult types and stages of hair loss. Without limitations to treatment area, age or stage of balding, HSC has the potential to expand the hair restoration market by offering a successful option to those that currently have none."

- - - Updated - - -

"The clinical data seen to date with HSC is very compelling," said Dr. Craig Ziering, Founder and CEO of Ziering Medical. "Not only is the strong safety profile clinically important, but we have seen cosmetically significant results, with coverage of thinning areas, in a clinical setting. In addition, the response seen in women treated with HSC is unprecedented."

17. Nutreve

Nutreve Guest

Yes, the technology they are developing uses embryonic stem cells which not only bring dead follicles back to life but grow completely new ones as well. Here is a link to a news broadcast on NBC that kind of helps explain it (the technology and how it came about) a little better maybe...some are a little older but still relevant if you want to know what the hubbub is all about :- )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7_fvcigbeA (NBC broadcast on YouTube)

One thing I do know, there are places that claim to use the "Stem cell technology" as a hair therapy, but what is being doneas a treatment available now is different than what we all are waiting for/talking about. The ones that offer it as a treatment are using Autologous Adipose Adult (A.A.A.) stem cells, which do NOT create new follicles nor do they regenerate dead ones. The stem cells must be EMBRYONIC" to regenerate dead ones or grow new ones.

Hope this info helps demystify things a bit...:D

18. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's nice to know there is ongoing research. A successful hair loss treatment would be worth a fortune to who ever comes up with something!