Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Research; biggest beauty fear is thinning hair

Discussion in 'New Research, Studies, and Discoveries' started by GoodYear, Oct 12, 2008.

1. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

Hi, I just read in a article in an online newspaper that they have done a research among 500 women (35-65 years) what their biggest fear is as it comes to beauty. Guess what number 1 was: thinning hair, bald spots. In total 35% of the women said that.
    In the article they talked about the Androgenetic Alopecia and that it is not recognized and and that they always say it is about pregnancy of just aging etc. And that that was not true.

That is good that they explained that isnt it? It a big paper, so many readers.
    But, here again: our fear about our hair loss is completely normal!

2. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I mean really, why wouldn't that be a big fear? It can be devastating...

3. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

If it's such a big fear, then why is it we see so much of the anti-ageing creams/moisturisers/anti wrinkle stuff on the market, yet not so much research into hair loss for women.

4. stephie426

stephie426 Guest

good point...i think this also goes along with the "we are not crazy" thread.

sadie, great point about skin care/wrinkles cream. the beauty industry is a multi billion dolloar industry and i am sure not even a tiny percent is dedicated to Androgenetic Alopecia and hair thinning and hair loss.

5. snowflake

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of products to volumize hair, different shampoos, serums etc. I think it's like the face creams - they don't actually get lasting results. The only topical that is effective on wrinkles is retin a prescribed by a doctor. It really smooths out the skin, not like a facelift of course. The only proven topical potion for hairloss is minoxidal. It is time we had something new. Did anyone read about the discovery of the gene that can cause baldness? Really it doesn't matter to me (obviously there's a genetic component) but it can lead to new cures. I wish something would be discovered already, this has been too long already!

6. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

i think the reason for that is ALL womens skin ages not just a percentage like the percentage of the ones whos hair thin out or go bald so its a much bigger market $$$$$$$$$$$$$ wise........

7. scotia47

scotia47 Guest

Yes I read it's all to do with chromosome 20 - the little devil! So now we know, can we set about doing something about it? The article I read reckoned it would only benefit the next generation - and it only mentioned men in the (boringly predictable) sniggery style report. Why is baldness such a universal souce of mirth when every other cosmetic problem is looked on with sympathy and understanding? So unfair!

8. mjh

mjh Guest

I can imagine that it is....I remember first losing my hair. It was horrendous. I was thinking, I might eventually gain weight, get wrinkles later on so I really don't want my hair to change!

9. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Uhhhhh.....duh! lol

10. kaylee

kaylee Guest

True!!!

11. snowflake

Dislikes Received:
    Actually hairloss is a big industry. It IS a hige problem. Even if you ignore the women. Who cares if they discover something to help men, it wil help us too! And yes why are all articles on hairloss so mocking??