Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Review of Dermmatch VS Joan Rivers, and Toppik

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by CKingAnswers, Sep 25, 2012.

1. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hope this can help some of you who may be deciding on a concealer.
    Here's a link to my most recent pictures, so you can see the extent of my thinning and how I style it:
    http://www.heralopecia.com/interact/showthread.php/21367-My-pictures-and-short-story-etc

I have used Dermmatch for years. I apply it dry, just like you do with Joan Rivers. I found that using Dermmatch wet is not only messy, by my hair at the roots looks dull and dusty and shades lighter than the length of my hair.
    So- for years I have used Dermmatch. My natural hair color is a medium golden brown and I used Dermmatch color Medium Brown for quite some time. I now dye my hair dark brown (whatever store brand of dye I use, I get dark brown- it's dark like someone like Megan Fox or Courtney Cox), so now I used Dermmatch in the Dark Brown shade.
    I decided to try Joan Rivers Great Hair Day as well. I ordered it in Dark Brown and the two brands are nearly identical in color. The pressed powder of each looks almost charcoal, but no, your hair does not look charcoal when you use it.
    Essentially, these products are nearly identical in all ways. They are both a pressed powder and both cover about the same.
    Joan Rivers comes with a soft bristle brush- like a brush to apply blush.
    Dermmatch comes with a big sponge applicator- like an eye shadow applicator.
    Personally, I think the Dermmatch applicator is easier and quicker to use. You cover more scalp with this applicator, compared to the Joan Rivers brush.
    Joan Rivers comes in a cute little compact with a mirror- much like a blush or make up compact.
    Dermmatch comes in a round, white disk.
    I like the packaging of the Joan Rivers better. It's smaller and less obvious if you need to carry it in your purse. It looks like make up.
    I am happy using either product.
    The one reason I choose Dermmatch over Joan Rivers is price and value. I flew through the compact of Joan Rivers in about a month. Dermmatch will last me close to a year.
    Joan Rivers offers 2 compacts for $20. Dermmatch offers 1 disk for $47. Considering how much longer Dermmatch lasts me, I find it to be a better deal.

I used Toppik as a finishing touch. What I do is apply Dermmatch/JR all over where there is scalp showing. I part my hair starting at my left ear and fill in, moving up towards the top of my head and down to my right ear. I part as I go and fill in the part. Then I style my hair, then I sprinkle on Toppik to add some fullness.
    Toppik clumps up at my hair line making it obvious that it's there. In my opinion it's not good to use this product solo, if you have significant thinning.

2. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing your review about these concealing products CKAnswers. :) I know we have had questions here before about them and what the preferences are. Your review will help.

Joann

3. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Correction- I used Joan Rivers in the Brunette shade. This shade is similar to the Dermmatch and Toppik Dark Brown. I read a lot that Joan Rivers colors run dark- I would think this is true based on the Brunette shade. It would not work for someone with light to medium brown hair.

Joann- thanks for all the help with my account! It was good to catch up with you!

4. hpe

hpe Guest

Thank you for your review and photos. I will definitely try your technique, for your hair looks perfect in that last photo.