Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogain

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by StillHere, Aug 18, 2011.

1. StillHere

StillHere Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies,

Have any of you had bad side effects from using Rogaine? I have read that side effects can include hair growth on the face, back, arms etc- would this be accurate? I've also read that it ages the face is this correct?

Thank you for your time.

2. mshistory

mshistory Guest

I have been using Rogaine Foam once daily for almost 3 months and I do think I have a little fuzz growing on my face that is going to get waxed off this weekend ;) It's not too bad. It is frustrating that I'm seeing more hair growth there than on my head where I actually apply it though!

3. Marsen

Marsen Guest

Seborrheic dermatitis.

4. StillHere

StillHere Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Mshistory and Marsen.

Are you able to tell me where on your face the hair is growing? Also Marsen how are you treating this condition? I am fairly new to hairloss I've been shedding for seven months now and I've lost half my hair. I have naturally oilly hair. When I got my blood tests done my iron and thyroid were supposingly fine. Now I'm considering paying thousands of dollars with a company that supposedly has a ninety eight percent success rate in treating hair loss. Don't really know what to think when I read the side effects of minoxidil. It's all so frightening.

I have visited a dermatologist- who without any blood tests or anything really just told me that ive got male pattern baldness. I was shocked as you can imagine.

So I didn't do as he wanted me to back than- oral minoxidil I believe and the foam. I'm 23 years old so it was difficult to accept. But since then I've continued to shed- I believe it's time to do something. I just don't really know where to start.

5. mshistory

mshistory Guest

Personally, I would be extremely skeptical of any company claiming a 98% success rate and charging thousands of dollars - it sounds like a scam to me.

Losing half your hair in such a short amount of time doesn't sound like Androgenetic Alopecia to me. hair loss with Androgenetic Alopecia is usually much more gradual. Have you seen an endocronologist? With the blood work you've already had, did they test your ANA titer for autoimmune activity?

With the Rogaine, I'm getting some fine brown hairs around my temple area on my forehead and below the "sideburn" area of my face. No big deal - I'm just going to wax it off ;-)

If you decide to try Rogaine, just be prepared for some increased shedding for the first few weeks. It's very common.

HTH

6. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Side effects are different for everyone, if you get any at all. Yes, the ones you mentioned are possible, but you may not experience them at all.

I experienced the look of aging, definitely. My pores enlarged drastically on my forehead, nose, either side of my nose.. facial hair, dull skin, tired, puffy eyes with dark circles, fine lines. It sounds like I'm trying to scare you, but these aren't uncommon side effects. I don't want to sugar coat anything for you since there is a lot of misinformation on these boards about a lot of things, you need to know the good and the bad of all of it.

I was thankful for rogaine for a while.. it gives you more density (which I think is all it actually does), but nobody gets back ALL of their hair with it in my opinion and for the most part, it doesn't hit the bang area or vertex as much as we'd like, if at all (I had a thicker version of the thin hair I had if that makes sense.. my bang area was still thin as was the back with maybe a tiny bit more density.. my part was tighter and still thin all at once lol so weird, but yes, it looked better). After your dread shed, if you have one, the fallen hair will all grow back in at once and give you nicer, thicker hair.. what you already have, but more growing at once. Not new hair per se. Again, that's just my opinion, but looking everywhere I could at before and afters and reading as many stories as I could, this is my perception and what I see. Others will see it differently. Either way, whether I'm wrong or right, what rogaine does is good enough for a lot of people.. even me for a time, but I figured if I still needed to hide areas of my head, what was the point of risking side effects anymore. If I'm going to be risky, it will be for something much better.

Long story short.. you can get all the opinions and stories you want from us or the rest of the net, but it won't predict your own story. You have to decide if these things are worth it. Another good thing though, is as far as I've seen so far, any side effects you might get while on it, will go away once you're off it (that was my own experience as well) and no.. for the skin side effects, changing up my skin care routine and buying all the power house age fighters did nothing. I also used less than most people and less often.

But again, that's just me and maybe others had a different experience.

side effects on a rogaine site (they need to update this.. just because it's not listed, doesn't mean it doesn't happen):

-Chest pain or rapid heartbeat, as these may be signs of a serious adverse effect of the medication
    -Faintness and/or dizziness
    -Sudden, unexplained weight gain of 2.5kg (5 pounds) or more
    -Swollen hands or feet
    -Redness or irritation on treated areas of your scalp
    -Unusual lesions (sores

So cons are a pretty good list of possible side effects and side effects not even listed. It doesn't work as well in areas we're hit hardest and it doesn't bring it all back. Pros, you have a very good chance of having thicker hair than you have right now and you might not experience even one side effect. In my opinion, it's worth a shot to see what you're own experience will be, you might be happy with what it does :)

luck!

7. StillHere

StillHere Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much for replying to my post. It is such a shame that rogaine doesn't work better. I get the feeling that I'd be taking a bet with it. My skin, though very oily and pimple prone is still youthful in appearance. I have not seem an endo and I don't believe that my general practitioner has thoroughly tested me- as you can imagine he said that it was stress related and wanted to put me on anti depressants (which ironically enough through my research I have found can cause hair loss as well).

I guess first thing is first- I have to get my hormones tested- however I know that if I am not specific enough the doctor will do the most basic test and tell me to go away.

However if you do not believe that it's Androgenetic Alopecia what else could it be?

I've found this whole disease, illness or what not so very confusing. It's almost debilitating- and your just left to your own means. Sometimes I think I could deal much easier with an actual illness that's viewed as far worse than hair loss then this if you understand where I'm coming from. There seem to be too many variables and unknowns in this.