Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine - 2x daily

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by mrvitous26, Oct 13, 2015.

1. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone,

So I am almost certain that Rogaine needs to be applied twice daily to be the most effective. I have been lax with it but decided that I need to be more persistent with 2x a day so I need to get back in the habit of taking a shower at the gym after workouts each night and making sure I apply it right away before I get home... because at that point I am so exhausted so it is easy to avoid it.

I know that one of the ladies on here applies 2 ML at once but I am just not sure how that can be done if you are paying attention only to the crown area. (This is where women are supposed to apply it.) Plus it is systematic so it is not necessary to apply it to the entire head. At least this is my opinion and I am only speaking from experience of course. I see hairs coming in all over. I think there is a reason for spacing it out, once in morning, once at night. [Again just my opinion.]

I came straight home after work today because I have a few things I would like to get done such as posting my before and after pictures.

Stay tuned, these are coming soon.

Thanks,

xoMichellexO :)

2. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Michelle!! Thanks for the update. I agree that Rogaine generally works best using 5% 2x a day (not to say it can't work well for people using 2% or 1x per day).

Re: your comment about Rogaine being systemic, I'm sure that's true to an extent, but I think consistent application to the scalp area you're trying to treat is most important. The derm I saw who seemed the most knowledgeable about Androgenetic Alopecia and Rogaine (she herself has been using Rogaine for years and years, except during her 3 pregnancies... And I thought she had great looking hair so I trusted her opinion :) ) said that consistent, even application is important. She also said this doesn't mean you need to take 20 mins per application making sure you're getting every last spot of scalp. Her advice was to basically move across your scalp parting your hair 5x (once down the middle, then two to either side) and apply it along the line of your part to make sure it's even. That also helps you minimize the 'wasted' Rogaine you unintentionally rub onto your hair rather than your scalp. If you're applying 2x a day you'll generally hit your whole scalp area using that method.

Also, from what I've read (and what my derm said) I don't think there's a reason to apply just to the crown if you're seeing loss in other areas. Many people have had equal success regrowing hair with Rogaine in other areas besides their crown (assuming they apply it to those areas). I've seen definite/notable regrowth applying to my front temples, even though I didn't even grow much hair in that area prior to my hair issues. I think Rogaine is required to write that it's only for crown loss on the box because that's the area they've tested in clinical trials (and thus the only area they have shown it works for). The Rogaine box also says that the dread shed shouldn't last more than two weeks and if you're still seeing a dread shed longer than that, it's not normal and you should "call your doctor". Many people have dread sheds way longer than that (and I'd say the majority dread shed longer than 2 weeks) and still see very good results, so I'm comfortable ignoring what they put on the box :)

3. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah like I said we are all different. I guess we just need to find what works for us. I just don't know how I would apply all over so I stick to what I can see. Like I said I see hair coming in everywhere so sticking to crown area seems to be working for me.

Thanks for sharing!!

4. Eliza1990

Dislikes Received:
    For sure! And I definitely don't apply all over either (I'm slow in applying so that would definitely take me forever haha). And just a waste of time and money to apply it any areas where we don't think we are experiencing hairloss.

Sorry for my tangent - hope I didn't sound like I was standing on my Rogaine pulpit :) Best of luck to you with your continued hair journey with our friend (frenemy?) Rogaine!

5. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:

No not at all Eliza, you are fine. I just don't know how I would apply to back of head since I cant see. I think my hair loss is in crown region though...

6. Eliza1990

Dislikes Received:
    I just realized that I could also just be confused what you meant exactly by crown haha (I tend to think of the high back part of our head, but others may be referring more to the top of their head?)

I apply Rogaine to the area I circled in black below. That's mainly because my hair loss is diffuse though and the thinning is pretty consistent across my entire scalp. What zone(s) in this pic do you apply to?
    Pic.jpg