Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine and Alopecia Areata - Does it work?

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Sissy, May 22, 2006.

1. Sissy

Sissy Guest

Hey guys,
    Sorry if this question has been already answered but my derm told me today that he has seen better results with his Alopecia Areata patients that used Rogaine rather than the steriod creams. He said that the Rogaine doesn't make the hair grow back, it keeps the hair you have to not fall out.

I told him that I had 2 concerns with it:

1. The initial shed when you start using it. - He said that he had not heard of that happening with Alopecia Areata patients.

2. And the hair that came in while using the Rogaine would fall out once you stoped using it. He said that that can happen certainly with Androgenetic Alopecia but doesn't always happen with Alopecia Areata users. Because with Alopecia Areata if its not active with that follicle or area then it wouldn't fall out.

What do you guys think? Are any of you on Rogaine and had any results? Do you know anyone that lost their hair once they stopped?

I am also getting a monthly shot of steriods as well.
    Please help, new to this product.

2. Hi Sissy,

I used rogaine for a while back when I had Alopecia Areata. Personally I don't think my hair regrowth responded any faster using rogaine then the steroid creams or injections. I eventually weaned off of it because I knew that I wanted to have children. I did go through the shed afterwards but it happened to be an overall thining as opposed to the classic spots you see with Alopecia Areata.

Hope this helps.

3. maisydaisy

maisydaisy Guest

Sissy,
    I call shenanigans on your derm. I used Rogaine all throughout my last major shed and it didn't stop a thing, didn't even slow it down. Could work differently for you though.

4. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sissy, :)

I have also tried Rogaine in the past to treat my Alopecia Areata. That was at least 8 years ago now and it was the 2% not the 5%. It didn't help me but my Alopecia Areata was pretty severe at the time (40 - 50%loss) and I didn't adhere to the 2 times a day application that my derm recommended. It made my hair really greasy so I mostly only used it at night and washed my hair in the morning.

There is a young woman on the MSN Alopecia Areata support community, at the present time, whose mom feels that the Rogaine is helping. She started out with a bald patch in November and by April 95% of her hair was gone and she was in a wig.

She was getting the injections for about 5 months and had tiny white hairs all over her head. She started the Rogaine and her mom thinks it has it jumpstarted her regrowth because she is seeing some of the white hair turning into terminal hair.

I have been told that using Rogaine is a lifelong committment if you want to keep the new regrowth. The young woman is quite prepared to do this if she is successful at getting full regrowth of her hair.

That's about all I can tell you for now Sissy.

Take care. Hugs. Joann

5. Sissy

Sissy Guest

Hey Sara,

Were you getting the shots at the same time and did you use the 2% or 5%? Also did you experience any side effects? I read maybe facial hair but not sure if it was a side effect of the Rogaine or steriod shots.

I know that you are counting down the days till schools out....right?

Sissy

6. Karen

Karen Guest

Hey Sissy

I also used the Rogaine. It may have jumpstarted growth - but I didn't like it. Like Joann says, it made my hair very greasy and my face very hairy. I never had a shed when I first tried it - but nothing was really left to shed and I stopped using it in March - no shed there either. My derm says that it works differently on Alopecia Areata's as opposed to Androgenetic Alopecia's. I'm not using it any more.

7. maisydaisy

maisydaisy Guest

It's out now, Sissy...today was my last day with students! WOO HOO!!! :D
    I used the 5% Extra Strength for Men...you know, the kind that very specifically states on the box that it's not for women? But, my derm said that was the only one strong enough. I was not taking cortisone shots at the same time; in fact, I've never had a cortisone shot...for some reason, my derms keep steering me away from them. Anyway, even though I didn't see any benefits from the Rogaine, I also didn't see any side effects. I'm not a hairy person anyway in terms of facial hair, and I didn't see any additional fuzz while using it. The insert also said acne could be a possible side effect, but I was careful to keep the liquid off my face and never saw any extra blemishes.
    Maybe it will work better for you since you are taking the cortisone shots as well. Are you still using the white iodine? How's it working?

8. Sissy

Sissy Guest

Sara,
    No, Im not using the iodine currently. Just the shots and I have had only two. I go back to the derm June 19th. I am seeing regrowth and don't have any new spots. Thank the Lord!!

Glad that you are out for the summer. Today is my kids last day, all are out at 1:00.

I gave my resume to 6 schools yesterday. The last school was at a high school. Because my cert is 4-8 so I can teach 9th grade. I think that there is an opening for 9th English. Kinda excited! More excited about the high school. This school is the school that my oldest son goes to. It is a beautiful, new school.

Keep your fingers crossed!
    Sissy

9. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Not sure that it would be any diff with regards to Alopecia Areata patients and Androgenetic Alopecia but my ejit derm said he too had never heard of this happening .. and I was prescriped eight weeks worth of Vitamin injections to halt the shedding caused by the Rogaine .....!!!! it was only when on hair loss sites talkint to other woman that I heard the word "dread shed" from Rogaine !! if only the derms are clued up on this then it would have saved not only a lot of needle marks on my butt :shock: but also money and panic attacks ....

I notice now days that the packaging states shedding as an initial sympton that it is apparently working ...

I stopped it as my loss was too diffuse any thing it did regrow was counteracted by the amount that fell out ,,

10. maisydaisy

maisydaisy Guest

Awesome, Sissy! I'm so glad your treatment is helping. Good luck with the schools too...I also teach 9th grade English so I can help you if you end up at the high school.

Sara

11. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

I'm confused by this all...
    I recently visited a clinic where they said they could prescribe me 12.5% of minoxidill which is what your ladies are talking about???
    for 12 months....This is a well established place in London (I live in England) and i'm scared of the side effects and spending so much money on something which may not work for me.

My hair gets greasy anyway let alone using that....can anyone recomend a good hair shampoo to me?
    I'm so confused....think i'm tired and upset