Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine: Dread shed after a few days?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by pennyn, Mar 28, 2014.

1. pennyn

pennyn Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone!

So after a few years of what seems like CTE (my story and pics are here: http://www.heralopecia.com/interact...ecia-CTE-The-Case-of-the-Disappearing-Temples), I decided to take the plunge and try Rogaine. I figure, if it is CTE, then at least I can try to improve my hair while I wait for the doctors to figure out what's wrong with me. I got the 5% foam and have been applying it once a day.

Here's my current question: Is it possible to start the "Dread Shed" after only five days?

My shed had increased again over the past few weeks, which is what prompted me to start Rogaine now. I began using it on Wednesday the 19th, and by Sunday the 23rd, my shed had doubled! I'm seriously hoping this is the dread shed, because if it's not, then things are going to get waaaay worse. Thing is--I've been searching these forums (and the Internet overall) and it looks like most people only start to experience the shed after two weeks or so.

I'll try to track my Rogaine progress on the forum here, for anyone else who might be interested! (I know I tend to lurk and look for people with hair loss similar to mine.)

2. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's definitely possible. Although my rogaine dread shed started two weeks in, I have found that everyone's experience with rogaine is different. Try to relax and tell your self that things will get better! I hope it works for you! I've been on it for almost two years. My hair is way better than it was before but my shed still heavily fluctuates. I think we are close in age (I am 27) and I have read the odds of rogaine working is higher when you're younger. I know this is a hard thing to go through so if you have any more questions during the process feel free to PM me!

1 person likes this.
  3. pennyn

pennyn Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you! :)
    (We are the same age!)

I'm now at the two week mark and wooooow, I can really see the thinning from the shed.
    I keep wanting to say, “You’d never believe how much hair I’m losing!” Except that I think I’m addressing exactly the group who WOULD believe it. I feel like I’m almost watching it with this weird detached sense of morbid interest. For now, I’m just trying to tell myself, “This means it’s working! By Christmas, my hair will probably be awesome. Right? Right.”

4. Blue Panda

Blue Panda Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't tried rogaine yet (too scared of the dread shed, I already feel like there's not much there!) but I do empathize with losing massive amounts of hair. Fingers crossed for you it passes and soon and yes, I bet it is looking heaps better by christmas :D

5. Mayra

Mayra New Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's definitely possible. My dread shed started after a week of using the 5% foam twice a day. It lasted into the second month of treatment and then suddenly stopped completely.

The general consensus on Rogaine is that it gets much worse before it gets better - for both men and women. I'm very happy with my hair now (about 10 months using Rogaine) but during the dread shed I felt like hiding inside all day. I also considered shaving my very long hair because it looked so thin.

As someone who has had good results I would suggest that you keep using it for 6 months to see if it helps. It does get hard to deal with at times and from what I've read online it seems that a lot of people quit before they have a chance to notice any improvement because of the dread shed.

6. gmartinez11

gmartinez11 Guest

I am also 27 and using rogaine ;)

Hey! So I am also 27 :) and have been diagnosed with female pattern hairloss and telogen effluvium. I had a scalp biopsy last month, and it showed those diagnosis'. My Dr said a lot of my hair was in the "resting phase" and that minoxidil would make those suckers come up. I was very hesitant on starting minoxidil because of the dread shed, I have very little hair and didnt want to end up bald. My 1 year old has more hair than I do, thats sad! I had told my Dr I was scared about the shed but she said that's pretty much my last resort and if I don't try it, I don't know if it will work or not. So on March 19th I began the treatment. It has been almost a month and have noticed slight shed increase but not dreadly, so I am hoping it stays that way, crossing fingers! I use the 5% foam once a day at night. So we can try this out together! I think you started around the same time so this will be fun :)
    I am hoping that at my 6month f/u appt she can see hair growing in. I miss my bunch of hair :( I actually lost most of it after giving birth to my daughter, so it's just been hard recovering from that.
    Good luck hun! and I'm here for u if you need anything!

7. pennyn

pennyn Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for responding, everyone! I'm just about to enter Week Five on Rogaine, and the dread shed is still going strong. Eeeee.
    At least, while it's still a bit cool out, I can wear a scarf around my neck--it helps fluff my shoulder-length hair out a bit. That's my trick. ;)

Hi, Gmartinez11! Hopefully you have regrowth without ever getting the dread shed! It does sound like we started around the same time and are both applying the 5% foam once a day. Maybe if most of your hair is already in the resting phase, it doesn't need to push the old hair out? I've got my fingers crossed for you as well! :)

8. gmartinez11

gmartinez11 Guest

I spoke too soon :(

Crazy how we crossed our fingers, and I get home to realize i'm shedding :( I noticed when I took my ponytail down, on my headband I had about 6 hairs on it, and when I showered there were about 20 strands in the drain. UGH, I expected it but was hoping it didn't happen. I am trying not to think about it and am now crossing my fingers for it not to last a long time. This is torture :( I already have VERY thin baby hair that if I lose more, I could look bald. UGH :(

9. pennyn

pennyn Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh no, GMartinez11! Did your shed calm down? 20 strands doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm sure it's insanely stressful if that's more than you're used to shedding.
    (For comparison, I think I've been losing between 200-300 hairs a day during the Dread Shed. And my hair is very, very thin. And also very fine. But too much shedding was always my problem.)

Four weeks of shed. Still going strong. When will this eeennnddd? I'd secretly hoped that since my shed started so early, it would be over by now!

10. gmartinez11

gmartinez11 Guest

Still shedding...

Yes, the horrible shed! From what I see it's about 70 per day but it can be more and I don't even notice especially since I wear my hair up everyday, and am doing so until this shedding stops because I don't want to freak out if I see more lol.
    4 weeks and your still shedding? Ugh, this needs to stop asap! I messaged my derm and she told me not to worry, that the shed was a good sign. That even though it seems like a lot right now, that it will eventually taper off and the results would benefit me on the long run so I am hoping for the best! She said the shedding is good sign because it is the minoxidil releasing the resting hairs making way for the new thicker and better hairs. Ugh I hope we are going thru this for the best! Best thing to do is to stay positive :)

11. pennyn

pennyn Member

Dislikes Received:
    What's your typical daily shed like? That's awesome that you can just message your derm!!

At least, in all of my frantic googling, I've really only seen people who had no shed say that Rogaine didn't work for them. So hopefully this will all pay off! :)

Still, I'd love for others to chime in on what their dread shed was like, how long it lasted, etc.

12. Asi

Asi Guest

Hi, I started shedding pretty soon, and it was really, really bad. It was intense already before I started Rogaine. I stick to the treatment and the shed is normal now (100 or less per day, some good days when I almost don't shed, some bad days with almost 100). I've noticed a lot of new hairs on the tempers mainly, and close to my hair line, but not so good results on the top of the head. I guess that's where it's harder to regrow, and according to my dermatologist, it's never going to be the way it was again. But this is my second time dealing with hair loss and minoxidil did help me get back on track with my hair (note that I never had thick hair, though) once. So I'm sticking to it and hoping it will work again, though a lot changed - I'm 10 years older, I had a pregnancy, breastfed for 3 years, etc.

So I guess what I can say is yes, you will shed, and it will be pretty bad. But eventually it will get better. But regrowth is slow, and you need to be patient and resilient and insist on it.

Today I am particularly having a bad hair day. I feel like my part is huge, almost like a highway (you could fit a truck in there, I'm pretty sure!) and feel like hiding all day long. I thought about getting a few inches cut to help, but I feel lazy just thinking about explaining everything to the hair dresser *sigh*.

Told my husband when we move (we are living in the US so he does his PhD and we have 2 1/2 years to go), I'm just gonna shave my hair, since nobody will know me at the new place. I imagine it's going to be liberating!

13. pennyn

pennyn Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's been six weeks on Rogaine--hopefully the shedding stops soon. It's still going strong. Today I lost over 50 hairs just combing my hair before taking a shower. (And then, of course, lost a ton more in the shower. And styling after the shower.) It's insane.

Asi, that's great that you're seeing temple regrowth! I've heard that area's a bit harder to regrow. (So your story gives me a bit of hope, since the sides and temples are where my loss is the worst!)
    I can imagine that it would be just so liberating to shave your head. No more worrying about a strong breeze revealing the spots you've tried to hide, and no wondering if it's going to be a good day or bag day. :)
    But hopefully the Rogaine helps you out again this time around!

14. Asi

Asi Guest

pennyn I didn't know that! If you check my story on the board where we are supposed to introduce ourselves you can see pictures. It's actually a bit annoying cause that new hair is shorter and makes it hard for me to style, I always get a 'cloud' of new hair that makes me look like a clown :hairy:

I think deep inside I know I'll end up shaving my head. I'm just not sure when exactly :) Maybe someday I'll be old (wise? mature?) enough to let go of it and just tired of applying Rogaine every single day, twice a day? Then I'll just shave it all! :D

15. bc2005

bc2005 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am only using 2% minoxidil two times a day and I am now on week 4. I started to shed at week 3. I am noticing lots of baby fine hairs especially at my temples where Ive lost a lot of hair and on my frontal hair line.

16. Asi

Asi Guest

bc2005, looks like this is good news? looks like it is working for you, huh? congrats!!! :)

17. bc2005

bc2005 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am seeing growth on my frontal and temples but it's hard to tell if there is any in my bangs where my loss is bad. In fact I feel like that area is worse. I'm hoping it means that the bad hairs are falling out And new hairs will be going soon. Feeljng like my hair looks so bad. My frontal hair line is a mess!

18. pennyn

pennyn Member

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like my bad areas got worse too! Hard to say if it's progress, or if that area just looks thinner because it was the thinnest to start with.

So I'm about nine weeks into Rogaine. Still shedding more than normal, but less than the worst dread shed days. After two months of this, I'm really hoping it stops soon!!

19. LoosingItAll

LoosingItAll Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Tell me how bad that shed gets. I think thats why I have not tried it . Google Joan rivers best hair day on you tube. you can get it at a CVS as well. I'm going to get some this week end for the cow lick looking places I now have . Also to make my center part a little thicker although it isnt that bad so far, It is my sides.

I will let ya know how that goes ! I know you sweet girls wear make up on your sweet faces every day and I at age 39 don't anymore. It will feel funny putting make up on my hair... LMBOOOOOO !!!!!!

20. BGS92

BGS92 Guest

Hi there!! I think "the shed" is different for everybody. Some shed a lot then it's quickly over, some will shed for a longer period of time and some don't shed much. I did never have a shed with rogaine, but neither have i had any results after a year. but i dont regret it, at least i did something... it would be even worse had i not done any thing and regretted it. but of course its everyones own choice and the side effects must be taken into consideration before going on any kind of treatment... remember if it works you need to commit to it, and apply every day infinitely...! but in my opinion if it had worked for me that would have been worth and and i would even take a few facial hairs for it... not that that happened either thankfully, nor do i think my skin is more old looking like some ppl say. but i guess its different for everyone like i said! :)