Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

rogaine dread shed - ends suddenly or gradually? ?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by labellavita1985, May 26, 2016.

1. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Rogaine users, please share your experience about your dread shed, specifically whether it ended suddenly or gradually.

Thanks.

2. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mine ended suddenly at the end of week 10.

3. rachelscott8585

Dislikes Received:
    I've been a Rogaine user for almost 2 years now. I apply the men's foam 5% once a day. I don't think Rogaine did/does anything for my shedding. It did not seem to slow it down but it also did not seem to pick it up, either. But my shedding is on the high end (100 on non-wash days and around 200 on wash days every third day) and has been since I started noticing hairloss.

4. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rachel, do you not think it's working for you? When you first started using it, did you notice increased shedding then?

Rva, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm almost to the end of week 8, hoping and praying it ends soon. How much did your shedding increase during the dread shed? I think I'm losing 200-300.

5. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to say. I noticed probably 3 times more than normal while combing/styling, but I think a bunch went down the drain without me seeing in the shower. I had to use drain-o for the first and only time ever during that time period. I was surprised at how long the shed lasted (8 weeks total), but progress after it stopped was pretty quick. Hang in there.

6. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rachel,
    I am also wondering if Rogaine has worked for you. By that I mean have you seen hair regrowth and is your hair thicker. I am assuming yes since you are still using it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been using Rogaine for about 1.5 years, and never noticed a dread shed with Rogaine, but that might be because I was already losing a lot of hair when started, so even if it added to that, it was not noticeble. I did/do see an improvement in hair shedding since using Rogaine. I would say for the most part, it has reduced my shedding by 20% or 30%. I have always been a high shedder all my life. I would say 80-100 hair a day was normal for me, but since noticing hairloss, this number almost doubled, specially during the Spring and Summer. I am still shedding, but not as much as before Rogaine. However, the improvement in shedding for me was gradual. For example, I started seeing less and less high shed days until it finally stayed at a certain level.

7. Melvis

Melvis New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dread shed continuing

Hi,
    I started using Rogaine +nizoral on october 18, 2016. After 6,5 weeks of treatment, i can say that i lost %30 percent of my hair has gone. My dermatologist says that the dread shed period will end by new year. I will keep you guys posted on my results.

8. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am similar to you and Rachel in that I still shed a lot. Less than before Rogaine, and it seems to fluctuate, but I definitely shed more than the average person. I never paid attention to my shedding patterns prior to the hair loss, so I can't compare to that, but I am positive that I lose more hair than average. My low shed days are probably what an average person sheds.

9. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am also a heavy shedder normally. Probably 100 on non-wash days, 200 on wash days is my minimum now, and if it was just a little less than that but close when I was younger, I would not be surprised. I used to have so much hair that it would gather as a huge clump in the drain and I never thought about it because my hair never thinned. Until it started coming out more like 300+ per day, multiple strands coming out together when I ran my hands thru my hair, and I first got bald triangles on my temples.

I honestly cannot tell anymore if my shed is back to high normal for me, if it's higher because of rogaine (month 4.5), or if rogaine is just not helping my shedding. I've lost perspective on my hair as it used to be, and am adjusting to a new normal. Except I don't know what that normal is.