Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine foam - drying time

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlosshelp, May 7, 2016.

1. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just started using the 5% women's Rogaine foam today and I put it on by parting my hair and rubbing it in, trying my best to get it on the scalp. I had been using the liquid for 7 weeks and put it on with the dropper (placing it directly on top of my scalp) and it would take about 3-4 hours for it to completely dry. The foam dried pretty much instantly (in the sense that there's no way someone could tell that I put it on). Is this typical? I tried my best to make sure I got it on the scalp rather than on my hair and actually felt the coldness of it. I just want to see if this is how fast it tries rather than use it for the next 4 months incorrectly!

2. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi!
    It works like that for me, too. Dries instantly!

3. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys always wait for it to dry before you go to bed? I use liquid before bed, put on a shower cap (so it doesn't get on my pillow and transfer on my face) and call it a night. Is this bad?

4. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    LBV- I just use it in the morning to avoid any pillow issues. It dries so fast, the few times I've used at night I've just tried to do it at least 2-3 hours before bed & changed my pillow case the next day.

5. labellavita1985

Dislikes Received:
    I understand, but using it at night is the only way I can fit it into my very demanding schedule. Often times I have no choice but to put it on about 30 minutes before bed. And using a shower cap just makes me feel better about the potential skin changes. Now I'm wondering if I should be letting it dry. Usually the Rogaine hasn't dried when I take the shower cap off in the morning.

6. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    I gotcha. I have some days that I can't get it on first thing because of weird schedules & I freak out. It would be easier for me to apply at night, as far as consistency goes, but I'm afraid of the pillowcase thing
    If you keep the shower cap on all night, I would think that your head would retain any moisture it had on it & that's why it's not drying? I'm a hot sleeper, so I would be drenched in sweat with a shower cap on all night
    How is the progress coming along aside from application?

7. labellavita1985

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for asking sheeny, you're the best. About 3 weeks in soo much hair was shedding when I would comb. I mean, an absolutely ridiculous amount (400 hairs at once.) I have found that not counting helps me not think about it so much, and not be so depressed about it, so for the first time in 6 months I'm not counting hairs. In fact, I have even stopped combing every day. Not sure if this is bad, but my hair doesn't tangle much naturally, it's very fine and smooth, so the only bits that get tangled are the damaged ends, but I have actually found it doesn't look too bad, it just looks like messy-on-purpose hair. Anyway this is how I've gotten through the last few weeks. Of course this also means I don't know exactly how much I'm shedding. I know I'm definitely still experiencing the dread shed, but it might be slowing down a tiny, tiny bit. Today was 5 weeks complete of daily application. I'm tolerating it well, haven't experienced any more increased heart rate or insomnia, so that's good. I'm really, really hoping I stop shedding soon.

8. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad you aren't experiencing any side effects & that you have found a way to keep sane throughout the dread shed. That's so important & half the battle!! Keeping positive thoughts in mind for you!❤️

9. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    When I used the liquid I would try to put it on 3-4 hours before bed. Most of it would dry within 1/2-1 hour, but there would still be little bit that you could tell wasn't dry. It really helps that the foam is drying quickly. The only problem I'm having is that I still have scalp itchiness, now with and without application. I didn't use it yesterday and my scalp was still itching.

I prefer using it at night as well since I shower in the morning, but I'm glad that with the foam you can't really tell after you use it because if there are days that I need to use it during the morning, it helps to be able to just put it on without having to wait for hours until it dries. I'm so glad that this option is there!

- - - Updated - - -

*sigh* I really don't know what to do at this point. I started with the 5% women's rogaine foam on Sat. Skipped application on Sunday and on Monday (today), I used it again. It dried pretty fast but my head just started itching...I go to the bathroom and there's that dreaded white scaly residue/dryness on my scalp and dryness on the left side of my face. So, it's the minoxidil and wasn't the PPG. I don't know where to go from here. I'm incredibly frustrated, I can't seem to ever catch a goddamn break from this.