Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine For Diffuse Shedding/thinning?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by electra, Nov 16, 2017.

1. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering if it's worth using Rogaine on my diffusely thinning hair. I'm 48 and definitely going through perimenopause, but loathe to try Rogaine because my hair is coming out (and receding) all over my head, not just in spots (though my center part still looks pretty good).

Wouldn't it take a lot of Rogaine to cover my entire head??

And, I've heard that if we don't have a genetic history of hairloss, Rogaine won't help. Anyone hear this?

Ugh. Thanks for advice! I am pulling out hair easily, by the handfuls, all the time. And front hair line is receding...

2. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I dont think you have to worry about getting every spot on your head.

Get the foam.

Put a 1/2 cap (eyeball it) on a china place like a saucer or something.
    Part your hare in several places and with your finger just scoop up a little moose and smear it onto you part line.
    Go as spread out as you can with your various lines to cover what you need.

a 1/2 cap gets my whole crown and sides..

You do not have to cover all your head because its going to go systemic..meaning you rub it into your scalp and it will spread out a bit under the skin...this is why some women get a little darkness on facial hair.

it actually thickened up my eyebrows a bit and I never put it on my brows (not complaining they look good).

I suggest trying it for 1 year it will either 1. give you good regrowth and at least partially slow down your loss 2. not give you regrowth but slow down your loss and help you maintain or 3. neither.

I was an excellent responder to minoxidil and i put it off for a long time with regrets.

I also use topical anti androgen medication (Spironolactone and finasteride) the anti androgen medication weather oral or topical is necessary to stop or all but stop hair loss..

Since you are menopausal I suggest using a good anti androgen.
    I would also make sure you estrogen is not too low or other important hormones you need for hair growth.
    Estrogen slowing down or stopping can decrease hair growth and then sensatifivy to DHT can have a two prong effect.

Good luck.

3. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    Get a biopsy its only way to know if you have androgenic alopecia as they will see miniaturization.

Also get your detailed hormone report and talk to a good endocrinologist, and hair loss expert dermatologist or even a surgeon (some reputable top tier surgeons also treat medically a lot of women dont know this but look for people who have written a lot of papers etc and know their stuff).

If the loss is just due to decrease in estrogen you may just need estrogen replacement.

try and go to the mens site and talk to the trans women they know A LOT about hormones replacement dos/donts and hair..
    Many trans male to female regrow their hair with the female hormones.

4. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, Mcat!

How did you realize that you needed an anti-andogen, in addition to Minoxidil?

5. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    About 18 months of reading research articles and pub studies and speaking to many Doctors.

If anyone has 'androgenic alopecia' you do benefit from an anti androgen in addition to Minoxidil.

the big 3
    Anti androgen medication (Mine is topical nor oral)
    Minoxidil
    Keto shampoo (this is debatable if you are itchy or burning scalp this can help)