Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine - My story (6 month update!)

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by RaisinCookie, Mar 1, 2012.

1. RaisinCookie

RaisinCookie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sousou - Thank you! This board has been amazingly helpful for me through my journey so I'm happy my story helps others.

I watch my hair every day - I have to - I hate the feeling of feeling dirty and I used to not even be able to leave my house without washing the hair. Now I can go for morning walks with dirty hair, but that's it. So I'm not sure I'm the best for when to wash your hair. I did do a post on it a while back if you search the archives and the consensus seemed to be that keeping your scalp clean was good and it didn't hurt to wash it every day.

I wipe out the great hair day - I never get all of it, but I try and get as much as I can.

2. Canuck

Canuck Guest

The headaches stopped :) It must have been the flu...thank goodness lol. Still carrying on with the 2 percent twice a day...I'm a nightly washer...so at night after my hair is half dry I apply it everywhere....then blow dry. In the morning, I am only applying it in certain areas because I don't want to ruin my toppik application :( Unfortunately that toppik application is where I need it most but I am hoping this helps me....no signs of change yet, I think I am coming to the end of week 3....no huge sheds yet, nothing really out of the norm. Will update as I go, Raisin cookie, I'd love to see updated pics when you have time!

3. Canuck

Canuck Guest

ugh...........I spoke too soon or jinxed myself. Today...the dread shed started with a vengeance :( It's coming out like crazzzzzzy! I have to keep telling myself it is because it is working. Right?! OMG I am scared....this will stop right?!

4. RaisinCookie

Dislikes Received:
    Canuck - i am sorry you are having such a bad she'd. That is the worst part about Rogaine - you go through a big shed and you don't have any certainty it will work on the back end. How bad is your shed?

5. RaisinCookie

Dislikes Received:
    10 months

Hit 10 months with Rogaine on Thursday. I'm . . . up and down. I can see new growth but I also feel like its still pretty thin all over but it still looks okay generally. I want the new growth to grow faster! :) BUT I do have new growth. Not sure how much is actually staying in the very front, but the sides are filling in.

Wish I had a more upbeat update. I think work has just been crazy and I'm just very tired and stressed and that likely isn't helping.

6. Canuck

Canuck Guest

Thanks for the update Raisincookie...I'd love to see starting pics, and current pics if you have any! I am now just over 2 months in...2 percent twice daily, it doesn't bother me any...as long as I get it on the scalp, not hair...I dont have greasy issues...I've been using a generic brand, but they were out at the store so had to buy the "real brand" stuff lol...hopefully it doesn't give me itching or anything...so far, no signs of anything happening...but I have hope...it just has to work! Still shedding a lot...not reallly much more than before i started though.

7. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi raisincookie. I know how you feel on wanting the regrowth to grow faster! I have been on rogaine for 5 months now, and i have tons and tons of regrowth. But to me, the little short hairs really don't make me feel that much better. I want them to be LONG! It makes me sick thinking that the average person's hair only grows 6 inches in a YEAR. My natural hair is kind of long so it will be two years until the new regrowth catches up to the rest of my hair. It is soooooo annoying.

My biggest worry is that the regrowth will not make it to a long length before it falls out. Do you think that it is possible to have long hair that is grown back from rogaine?

8. RaisinCookie

Dislikes Received:
    1 Year on Rogaine

Well, yesterday marked 1 year on Rogaine. It hasn't been the best, it hasn't been the worst. I think it's working, I wish it was working more, but I'm happy something is happening.

My shed goes up and down, I see short little hairs, I'm not sure if they are growing or just falling out, but I do have some grey hairs that have gotten a few inches long, so that's good. My hair looks good, I only have to use a little Great Hair Day to cover the spots, but it still feels thin all over. I'll never have the hair back, but I'm happy to still have the hair I have. I worry about long term viability of Rogaine and whats going to happen in the future, but I try not to think about that.

In addition to the 5% foam Rogaine twice a day I rotate Neutrogena T-Sal and the Aveda Invati Shampoo, as well as the Invati conditioner and scalp spray. I also take a multi vitamin, biotin, and Whole Foods Hair and Nails vitamins. I'm still a little bitter about the extra time it takes me to get ready and go to sleep, but of all thing things . . .

I've attached pictures from last Jan/Feb, and then from last month. I always wonder if its the lightening or if the pictures aren't the same angle, but there does appear to be some filling in up front which is good. I wish there was more filling in on the sides above my ears.

I've posted this here as a new thread.

Attached Files:

admin likes this.
  9. Canuck

Canuck Guest

Thanks so much for the update!! I definitely see improvement for you! I am just at month 4 now...the month where according to the bottle I should see some results...I went through a really bad headachy stage the first couple weeks but got over it...then the shed came...but about a month ago it almost completely went away...lowest shed in years! I was getting all excited but then right after the shed ended...I developed an intense insane itching scalp...I thought it was because I went from a generic brand to the "real" stuff...so I went back to generic...but that hasn't helped me any :( My head is so itchy it makes me crazy. I had to drop from applying the 2 percent, twice a day to once a day...which sucks :( I am using head and shoulders...or neutrogena t-gel...and nothing is helping. I am so disappointed that I am possibly undoing all my hard work and money down the drain but I can hardly take this itch anymore. It is winter and cold here and my skin is dry in general...so I pray that when spring comes...it will get better and I can go back to twice a day. I wish I could buy 5% here where I live so I can at least use that the once per day...but I would need to somehow order it online and don't want to deal with the embarassment of that showing up here...nobody knows I am using this stuff! Keep us posted on your journey, and thanks for the update!!

10. RaisinCookie

Dislikes Received:
    Canuck - Thank you!! It took me to months 6-8 to really see anything so don't give up if you don't. I'm sorry you are having such a bad time with the itching. That stinks. Have you thought about ordering from Amazon? That is where I get my 5% and I have it sent to my office and no one knows because its just in amazon packing? Maybe ask your derm for an anti inflammatory? I have one I used for my psoriasis that helps. i don't really get that itchy but the winter has made the little I have worse. Good luck!

admin likes this.
  11. Cas

Cas Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Canuck, I've been on minoxidil 5% for 2years... The regular stuff makes my head itch like crazy.... My dr gave me special prescription and I'm fine on that... No itching at all. U might want to consider it. I have to get it mixed at the hospital tho because regular pharmacies can't mix it. I'm in Canada as well. Sorry raisin cookie, didn't mean to hijack the thread :)

12. lizzybb

lizzybb Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone, I'm also at month 3 or so with Rogaine. I used liquid Rogaine maybe 2 years ago and I got a very bad, sticky case of dandruff, which I thought was due to the Rogaine (but now I'm thinking maybe it was something else). I changed to foam and that went well in the shedding sense, but the alcohol in the foam made my scalp skin red and peeling after a while. I stuck with it for 8 months, but at the end, i couldn't take it any more. I was having to use steroids on my scalp just to keep the skin from peeling. Anyway, I have gone back on the 5% liquid in the last 3 months and so far the shed has improved a lot. But this time, I am using Hair Signals (watered down with 50% water). I use it about 10 minutes after the Rogaine, which I only apply once a day in the morning. So far my scalp looks amazing, my shed is down to 40-60 a day, and I'm only using a little bit of Toppik on some days, not always. I also feel my hair is still pretty thin, but I'm very happy to be at this point where it's not shedding uncontrollably and my scalp feels good. I plan to take pictures at the year mark like RaisinCookie did, to see if there is major improvement, although I can already tell you that there is definitely some improvement.

Canuck, I had the horrible itching for a while last year. I think the Hair Signals may be helping with that this year, because so far so good, but I will let you know if it comes back. I also second ordering from Amazon; no one will know what's in the box.

13. RaisinCookie

Dislikes Received:
    Just an update things are going okay. Not the best, not the worst. My shed has been pretty high for the last few weeks but I'm thinking its seasonal so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will go back down again. My front I think is looking a little thin again but I can cover it up with a little styling and not much more great hair day than before.

I have also found that when I use a little aveda pure abundance hair powder to add to the texture the thin spots look fuller and I use less great hair day. I will continue to update with how this is going. I was hoping at over the 1 year mark I wouldn't have another big shed, but nope. We shall see!

In other news, we added a furry new family member on Saturday so that is making me very happy. We have a golden retriever who will turn 7 in May and now we are a two dog household with an 8 week old golden retriever puppy. The new puppy is kinda our tiny little overlord as all things revolve around here but she is super curious and has the sweetest disposition. She is even making potty training seem pretty easy (thus far!).

14. RaisinCookie

Dislikes Received:
    Still feeling pretty thin in spots though everything looks generally okay. I keep wondering when the time will come that's will have to start supplementing and which route I will go. I still hope that it is a few years off but while I think the Rogaine is helping me keep the hair I have and grow a little more, I still think its going down. Just slower.

Or it's just a bad month. We wil see how next month goes.

15. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

i just came off diane 35, i noticed my hair seems thinner and has lost more volume despite being on rogaine oh yeah and i am almost 7 month on rogaine

16. RaisinCookie

Dislikes Received:
    Well, can't say that April is starting off any better or worse than march. My shed has stabilized but some days are still higher than I would like. I fell like my hair still looks okay with just a little great hair day. I am actually still on my first compact of it. It has lasted more than a year. But I also feel like on a daily basis I am still losing more hair than I should be on a daily basis.

In terms of styling, I've also started using some of the aveda pure abundance products with mixed reviews. I liked the powder until it went liquid on me. The bottle says it is still good to use but I fiend it makes me look like I have dandruff. I like the volume spray. I think it makes my hair look fuller and adds volume without adding weight. I'm still trying to get the right mix of anti frizz products and volumizing products.

17. RaisinCookie

Dislikes Received:
    Oops! I missed May - well, June update instead. Things are going pretty well. I stopped using the Pure Abundance because I thought it was making my hair feel heavy, and I cut back on how much voluminizing spray and now my hair is back to feeling mostly normal (albeit still thing on the one side). I use a few anti frizz products, the pure abundance spray, and the invati spray. All in all, not bad. I need to get some updated pictures to see how it really looks.

I stopped taking vitamins a few months ago because I ran out, then bought new ones, then I forgot to take them. I have two bottles, so I think I will start again. I also picked up some biotin at whole foods and I am debating starting on that as well for a few months just to see. I'm just worried about adding a new drug?

Anyway, I think my hair is holding steady. I think the regrowth is about the same, which is a good thing and I'm happy for it. I would love it if more showed up, but I'm happy I haven't lost more and I appear to be keeping what I have. I'm still on that first compact of great hair day a year and a half later, and I really just try not to think about my hair. I miss pony tails (i'm still a little thin up front to make them look good, but I look okay with a side part one).

And that is this month's update. I will try and add pictures soon.

18. RaisinCookie

Dislikes Received:
    July Update!

Well, the shed is still going heavier than I would like it, but my hair still looks okay. I took new pictures today, but comparing them to the last batch I took really doesn't show much of a change so I'm not sure where all this hair that I am shedding is coming from. I worry that it is just general all over shed and its going to be more noticeable in the coming months if I keep up losing at this rate. Today and tomorrow are okay, but what about 6 months from now or next year? I've started thinking about looking into toppers to just have one in my back pocket, I just don't think I am there yet.

I have lots of baby hairs popping up on what I think it my thinner side, so I just hope they grow long! I think I really am better off with the Rogaine, so I am going to keep going. I had been using vitamins and I kinda stopped, so I started up again this week. I also bought Biotin, but I'm worried to use it for some reason. Maybe next month!

And that is my Rogaine update for July!

19. RaisinCookie

Dislikes Received:
    I missed my August update, but I didn't really have anything new to add. Still using the Rogaine, still have good and bad days. Some days I wash and dry and style and I think it looks great and other days I think my right side is so thin I can't even deal with it. I would love to get into a steady either love it or hate, but it really swings on the days. I also think some days I put too much product in and then I think it just feels icky and that makes me feel icky so I don't like it. Ugh!

I think the Rogaine is still helping - I'm getting new growth, my shed is pretty much steady and I think it has helped me keep a lot of the hair I had. I think I have less total volume hair but it's not that noticeable over my whole head. I went to the hair dresser last weekend and she thought it still looked pretty good and the loss wasn't that noticeable so I will go with that. For comparison, the picture on the left below is from when I started Rogaine and the picture on the right is from this weekend. I have a picture from almost every month in between and I don't think there is that much difference from week to week or overall, which I guess is a good thing. No change is better than a lot of change.

View attachment 15322 View attachment 15321 DSC01696.jpg DSC03828.jpg