Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine: no dread shed, but facial hair so soon

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Shane, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Shane

Shane New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello you all lovely.

I started Rogaine 1,5 month ago and I am still waiting that famous dread shed. It hasn't come, so what do you think, would that mean that Rogaine does not work so much for me? Because they say that shed means that it is usually working, right? Well anyway, I just have to wait...

I have another problem though and that is facial hair. Only after 1,5 months there is so much more facial hair on me cheeks and I don't know what to do for it... I changed my Rogaine-routine from evening to morning, so I would avoid that pillow-thing. How about you, have any experiences of facial hair? Have you treated that with something?

I just feel so attractive right now with my thinning hair and my growing beard :D I don't know should I cry or laugh.

ps. I have also rosacea and maybe you know that Rogaine and rosacea are not so good match. But that is another thing to talk about. I love my genes...

2. Justiinaa

Justiinaa Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would wait for at least four months to see if there is any difference. Everyone reacts differently and some peoples shed is worse than others - it imo, it depends on where your hair currently is in the shedding cycle.

Facial hair can be a side effect. How much rogaine are you using? I have been on it for over 2 months now, and no noticeable facial hair or anything, though I am careful to not use more than the half cap full.

3. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have a ton of peach fuzz on my jawline and chin from Rogaine. It's relentless. I get it threaded every 4 weeks and now it's tolerable. It really only is noticeable to me during that last week before my next appointment, but I refuse to go every 3 weeks. 4 is bad enough.

I would try to evaluate your progress in 3 month increments and give it a full year. Take pictures if you can.

4. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using Rogaine for 2 years and never experienced the dread shed that I could tell, but have seen results. Not everyone experiences the dreadshed. I won't let that stop you. give it 6 months to see improvements before giving up.

5. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I also never got a dread shed, but I do have periods of high shedding every couples months. I used to wax my upper lip every 2-3 weeks, and since I started using Rogaine I have to every single week!! Small price to pay for a full head of hair :)

6. Geslina

Geslina New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for making me laugh with the beard comment! I feel your pain! But I'm in early menopause, and right about the same time that the hair on my head started disappearing, the hairs on my chin started growing. So I don't know if the Rogaine is causing any facial hair. A few months into it, 5% 1x daily, I did notice some longer than usual eyebrow hairs. I also am not really sure about the initial shed. It seems to me that my hair looked worse the first month on Rogaine, but It could have been my imagination, or just the natural progression of things...i didn't actually SEE any falling hair....in fact, I don't ever and never did see any falling hair during this hair loss journey...not in my shower drain, not in my sink or on my bathroom floor, not in my brush. It's like the hair on my head just up and vanished without a trace. So who knows, every one is different. (By the way, in some cultures, men find facial hair attractive on women)

7. Shane

Shane New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello you all.

Now it is over 6 months that I have been using Rogaine and it seems that my hair is worse than it was when I started. Maybe on my temples situation is better but on top of my head looks much thinner.... I am so desperate right now. Should I stop or keep using it? I'm afraid of shedding if I stop, but what if Rogaine is not good for my hair at all?

8. Geslina

Geslina New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think it says in the Rogaine brochures that if you don't see any improvement in 6 months, you should stop. I will have to check, though, I may have it wrong. If so, I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I'm only in the first couple of months, and I feel, based on my experience with dermatologists, that rogaine is my only option. It's pretty depressing, considering the statistics when it comes to who it works for.