Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine - Once or twice a day usage?: Please share ladies.

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by mrvitous26, Jul 13, 2015.

1. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone,

So I have been getting lazy with applying the Rogaine at night. Problem is, my days are super long so by the time 10:00 hits, I am too tired to do anything... I do apply it every morning, sometimes not until 1-3 in the afternoon at the latest because on weekends I work out in the morning, and it doesn't make sense to apply it then sweat/wash it out right away. With that being said, I have definitely noticed increased shed with only once a day use. Nothing terrible or anything, but I think it is most effective when using 2x a day.

Just thought I would share this, as I have actually done this. It is a little sporadic. But the last few weeks I have been down to once a day... Like 3 of the days applying 2x a day as I normally would. I feel guilty... ;/ And paranoid. Still looks good though, so fingers crossed.

Next step: I am thinking of going off the Spironolactone because my skin is very sensitive, much more so now. And I am not even sure if it is doing anything or if it is just the Rogaine... I have a Dr. appointment soon so I will bring this up... I will want to be off the Spironolactone for at least 6 months before I decide to make the next step, which is going off Birth Control. I am not sure if I can do it... But just something that I have been considering... Obviously I don't want to mess anything up...

I would like to hear similar stories as mine and what your experiences have been like...

Thanks for reading.

-Michelle

2. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I started with twice a day but, like you, found this hard to maintain. On days when I need to show up at the office I couldn't do it in the morning as it makes my hair look terrible.

My doctor suggested doing 2ml (liquid) once a day rather than 1ml twice a day. I find this much more manageable. I just apply in the evening (I'm a mum with zero mid-week social life) a couple of hrs before bed.

My results have been awesome over the last 8 months so it's definitely working like this for me.

3. Ruth

Ruth Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Today i have been using Minoxidil exactly 3 months, i did not really feel i was getting results as i was still shedding too many hairs and do not see much regrowth. (the only thing i have noticed is that my hair is finally getting longer again, where as before it did not grow/got shorter, so maybe there is some improvement after all)
    Since about 4 days i have started adding 0,5 ml in the morning to my routine (i was already using 1 ml in the evening) and it seems my shed is down a little bit, or maybe it is wishful thinking.
    I started with twice a day because a lady i have been in contact with (from another forum) who has the exact same hairloss as mine told me she only started seeing results after she upped her application to 2x a day (after 2 months of hardly any results with 1x per day).
    So for some people 2x a day probably works better.

4. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

Thank you. The question I have with applying 2 ML is where do you apply it? I usually stick to visible areas (the crown.) I don't have any problem with applying it twice a day, I just get really tired by the end of the day. I don't feel that it messes my hair up, actually I think it adds volume... I am sure I'm better off with 2x, once in morning, then once at night. I was doing fine when I was at Y everyday because I can take my time with getting ready there..., but now I do Hot Yoga Downtown 2-3 times a week and they have a 30 min. time limit for you to get ready if you take a shower there...it takes forever just to dry my hair, so it's hard to do it there, I just feel rushed, so by the time I get home, I am exhausted.

My living situation will be changing soon, so that will fix that problem I guess... :hmmm::eek:Sometimes I wonder if I am just being paranoid, and maybe once a day is just fine, and the minor shed could just be that...a shed that I am going through right about now... ;/

I got a haircut earlier this month and it was awful. He added layers, and cut way more then I wanted him to. I went to someone new because my hair person was starting to act weird. Like she was so unavailable, and I am a loyal customer... I'm not sure what her deal was. I liked her cuts but didn't like her though so I am sure it is for the best... I found out a new contact to try - through someone I work with so wish me luck. ;p

Usually I pay a lot of hair cuts and I was looking to save some, seems like every time I try to "save" the experience is pretty terrible. The shampoo, he was rough - it hurt my scalp. When he was drying it, it felt like he was pulling me hair out with the round-brush. And I feel like I lost a lot of volume because this cut looks bad... This was a very awful experience...especially given the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Ruth, you know I can't be 100% certain, but I think it definitely makes a difference. But then we have to remember our hair goes through sheds periodically which is normal... so is it the rogaine, or it is just happening as it naturally would?... Idk. :$

5. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know what you mean about 'where to apply it'. 2ml is a lot, sometimes it seems hard to get rid of 1ml!

I go all over as my loss was diffuse. I focus on the crown and then it runs down the back & sides of my head anyway. As I feel the drips hitting my hairline I give thm a little rub in with my finger tips.

When I had my haircut recently the hairdresser could see really strong regrow the throughout my entire head so this has worked for me.

if your loss is only in a specific, small area I'm not sure that applying more would be helpful. Although someone did say on here once you could, in theory, apply minoxidil to your foot and your body would still absorb it and it would work so who knows?