Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine progress?

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by rva207, Apr 11, 2015.

1. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So most of you know I lost a ton of hair almost 2 years ago due to stress, but then found out I had Androgenetic Alopecia about a year later. I started Rogaine in the beginning of January. I took some new pictures today and I think I'm seeing improvement in my hardest hit area, but of course I'm skeptical, too. The December pic is pre-Rogaine, at work under fluorescent lighting, which always makes it look worse. You can see my cowlick splitting open on the right. The next was taken one month into Rogaine. The last two (with and without concealer) is from today, 3 months into Rogaine. Thoughts?

December.jpg February.jpg April no concealer.jpg April with concealer.jpg

2. speedpuppy

speedpuppy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    No question in my mind - that's definite positive progress! Congrats!!! :jump: It looks like it's starting to fill in nicely - you're getting better scalp coverage already & should start to see a little better density on top in a few more months.

Thanks so much for posting this update - you're another great example of how the slow, steady, methodical approach seems to work best!!! :salut: Keep going & best wishes to you!!

3. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Looking great! That's definite progress and with the concealer you honestly would not know.

long may it continue.....

4. Ruth

Ruth Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    That looks really promising. And good to know you are getting these results with once a day application. Happy for you that the treatment seems to be working

5. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I see definitely see improvements!!!!! Wow! How are you feeling about it? I would be thrilled!

6. rva207

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your responses. I feel OK about it. The layer of hair that covers my two cowlicks is deceptive. I lost so much under that top layer that I'm not sure I'll ever recover it. I cringe when I touch it and a windy day is a total nightmare. But I'll take what I can get and will continue to hope for the best!

7. Roxana

Roxana Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! That's great...Congratulations :)
    May I ask if you got any excess build up from minoxidil? I mean dandruff like flakes.

8. rva207

Dislikes Received:
    No flakes so far. I think that occurs more with the liquid version.

9. Jen77

Jen77 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree.. no doubt there appears to be regrowth! Congrats!

10. bc2005

bc2005 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You are lucky!

11. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Roxana - I use liquid. After an initial flaky period, maybe a week or two after staring, my scalp is now fine.

didnt have any scalp issues to begin with though. Think foam may be better if your scalp isn't in great shape to begin with.

12. rva207

Dislikes Received:
    Here's an update almost 2 months later. I can't tell if it just looks different (I obviously was part-challenged today) or if it's actually better. I'm posting only to be honest about my progress since there seem to be a lot of people feeling pretty down lately. I'm not saying I'm experiencing a miracle by any means! I included March's picture, but I honestly can't tell if it looks worse, but maybe it's just the angle. The last pic is with concealer. I will try to take more consistent pictures in the future.
    March.jpg May no concealer.jpg May concealer.jpg

13. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your hair looks great! Congrats! Did you shed when you started rogaine?

14. rva207

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! It can be hard to judge on your own, even in photos. Yes, I had the dread shed, weeks 3-8. It felt awful during and I felt it was obvious to everyone, but in all honesty it probably wasn't.

15. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Looks to me like the part has definitely closed up somewhat. It's still early days but I think this is a good start

At least the concealer works well on you, you honestly would not know by this photo. The blond versions tend to be a bit green and obvious on me, haven't found one I like yet. Though now my hair is darker I may try some brown shades instead. Hope I can get something that works as good as yours.

16. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    QUESTION !!!!! i am using Rogaine for exactly a year and suddenly, like about a month ago I got wather retention under my eyes. No, I was not drinking, and yes, I was getting enough of sleep. But to patches size of 25 cent are just like sitting on my cheek bones and when I sleep or lie down they migrate directly inot my eye sockets. It happened suddenly. I still use regaine, but now googled up and found out that many people get puffy eyes fm it. But after a whole year of using it ...? And so suddenly ? What do you guys thinkg ? Anyone with same experience ?

17. rva207

Dislikes Received:
    It happened to me during months 1-2, but then disappeared. However, I know others on this forum have experienced this as well so I'll let them chime in. I have NO idea why it would suddenly happen to you after a year!

18. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:

Yes. I am having the same exact issue and I'm so bummed about it. It took me a VERY long time to finally give rogaine a try and to have this pop up has been more than stressful to say the least.

I started rogaine 5%, once a day 3 months ago. About a month in I noticed what looked like a little bruising under one eye. It was the side I slept on and I knew about the vasodilation properties of minoxidil so I wasn't too worried and it was manageable. Six weeks in the puffy eyes started and got worse over time. I know exactly what you mean - you can take your finger and gently push and see all the water squish around. It's not very comfortable and really, not a good look.

Even at 3 months I am scared to stop the rogaine but realize if I can't get the puffies / darkness to a manageable level that I'm comfortable with, I am going to have no choice and I guess better now than 6 months to a year into it. I don't know if I will get back the hair I lost during the shedding phase or if I will lose more hair when I stop.

Right now, I am playing around with application times - I had been applying at night a few hours before bed and have read in some people that caused the puffiness. I had been applying it 3x a week to a towel dried scalp so I'm trying hard to rearrange times to avoid doing that. I also cut down my dosage 3 or so x a week as much as I hated to do that.

On the men's forums when they had sides such as puffiness it seems most cut down from 2x to 1x a day, quit applying to a damp scalp or if all that failed, reduced down to 2% but even some it seems that doesn't help.

So far, cutting back dosage every other day it did help some but puffiness / circles are still definitely there.

From all that I have read when sides occur like that too much is being systemically absorbed. With oral minoxidil they always prescribe a diuretic with it because of the fluid retention is causes.

If you find something that works or helps, please let me know. I have done the cold compress, cold spoons, prep h, and all the "tricks" that are supposed to help. Tried I don't know how many eye creams and so far, well . . .

I am making an appointment with my derm but really, what can he do?? He can't make them go away. So, I guess I will keep trying things to reduce them as much as I can while still using rogaine and hopefully getting some benefit.

19. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Kadee - your report is spot on. I had no sideeffects fm Rogane and now this. I have applied it yesterday, today I didnt. I think I had no side effects fm it whatsoever during all 1 year of me using it. Now it is too scary, but this puffiness is really ugly. I know we can not stop if we want to keep our hair. I was very sceptical to all the posts before when ladies used to complain about puffiness around the eyes, thought it is all stress-related, but obviously not.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, forgot to mention - I am trying to practice this lymphatic massage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3VUi3wqWw It seems really to make fluids move around my face, making me swallow hard, BUT bloody wathe putches only got smaller really once, when I was awake due to work for over 24 h. Back to bed with good sleep and I wake up all swallen and during the day they migrate on my cheek bones. And I am drinking lots of tea to reduce wather retention too.

20. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am drinking a lot of lemon water during the day to try to flush too. I have been massaging - tapping - the area to try to reduce it down as well. I will watch the video you posted. When I first reduced down the dosage they did seem better as I said but are looking worse again. And, by better still not normal.

I was skeptical as well. I take a lot of pics of my hair - very bad habit - so I have a lot of my face too from this past year and the issue very clearly was not there. There is no missing it now.

My hair also seems to be at a thinner state and has been shedding more than usual again so that added with the eye bag situation and how to remedy and/or continue or stop, almost has me at breakdown mode.

When I visit with my derm I am going to discuss a low dose diuretic with him and get his opinion but that will not help the dark circles nor do I know if I want to have to take another med to counter sides.

I have used diurex over the counter in the past off and on for time of the month bloating. I tried that to see if it would help and it did not. Not that I recommend anyone doing that of course but just to say, the bloating is a very real and stubborn thing.

Like I said, I am hoping that reducing the dosage will help and still get benefits from it but my optimism is running kind of low. Please keep me posted how you fare with it.