Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine/Spironolactone success - 2 year update

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by JeHope, Jun 1, 2014.

1. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone,

It will be 2 years in July that I have been on Rogaine/Spironolactone. The attached is pictures of my hair taken in August 2012 and pictures taken last night. One of the biggest things that I have done differently is that I rarely style my hair with heat. I have naturally wavy hair, and I used to blow dry and straighten my hair every single day. Once I started to lose my hair, I started just letting my hair air dry naturally so my hair is WAY more healthy. I know that rogaine/Spironolactone has given me a lot of regrowth too. Unfortunately it does not seem to be working in the front because my part continues to widen and my hair line is receding :(. But i am not complaining, because as you can see from the photos, my hair looks sooo much better. I went from wearing clip in hair extensions every single day to never wearing them anymore! My shed still fluctuates. Some days I lose less than 50 and some days I lose more than 200. But somehow my hair still looks good!

Here's my regimen:

5% rogaine 2x a day
    200 mg spironolactone
    5000 mcg biotin
    Multivitamin
    Desogen BCP

Attached Files:

2. LoosingItAll

LoosingItAll Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    :bravo: it looks Great !!!! I'm so happy for you !

3. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my gosh, that is amazing, honestly that's some really nice regrowth. Glad for you!!! Do you know if you can be on that regime for life?

4. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    thank y'all! I know that this regimen will not last me for life. I want to have kids someday and I will have to go off rogaine and Spironolactone. I am praying to god that by that point there will be a cure!

5. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Your hair looks beautiful!!! :) Thanks so much for sharing with us.

6. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    You can really see the change, your hair looks glossy and full, :bravo: enjoy!

7. bc2005

bc2005 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    That is AWESOME progress! Very happy for you! Thanks for the update.

8. sammysky

sammysky Guest

Many Thanks JeoHope for sharing. Your hair looks awesome. I think you should not be too worry about your future plans. getting off them for pregnancy should be fine as high progesterone will help you.
    But I suggest you to think about getting off the BC soon. I did it after many years went through terrible shedding but they are growing back now.

9. Emhope

Emhope Guest

Thanks so much for sharing, this post is so encouraging. I'm 19 and dealing with what I think is genetic thinning. I've tried so hard not to let this destroy my confidence, but it's on my mind constantly and I'm so scared of the future because of it. I started rogaine last year and I've had great results so far, I'm thinking of trying to get a Spironolactone perscription soon! Your hair looks beautiful, and again, it makes me so happy to see your results!

10. Asi

Asi Guest

Thanks for sharing! I'm also on Rogaine (1 year now) and your hair looked very similar to what mine looks. I actually believe I might be in somewhere between your before and after pic. So I guess that's good?

But most of all, your hair looks AMAZING. Congratulations! It's always so good to hear success stories. Hopefully I will one day be able to do a similar post here.

Wish you all the best,
    Asi

11. Ruth1613

Ruth1613 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    That gives us hope.

Thanks for posting the photos. Your hair is beautiful. This makes me want to keep with the minoxidil.

12. Ruth1613

Ruth1613 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, I'm definitely going to continue the minoxidil!

13. BGS92

BGS92 Guest

Are you even sure you have Androgenetic Alopecia? Cause your part never looked wide, looks more like TE in my opinion. Anyway congrats on the growth, your hair looks beautiful and that mush be a great feeling :) I can't help but feeling jealous since rogaine or anything else never worked for me, but I'm happy for you nevertheless :)

14. LoosingItAll

LoosingItAll Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    sHE HAS BEAUTIFUL HAIR AS OF TODAY AND HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH HER HAIR REGROWTH AND MAINTAINENCE . dOES NOT MATTER THE DIAGNOSIS. sHE IS IN HAPPY MODE !! tHANK GOD FOR HAPPY STORIES !! iF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CORRECT DIAGNOSIS AND ARE DIOGNOSING YOUR SELF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yOUR NOT GONNA KNOW WHAT TO DO THAT " MIGHT " HELP ... sELF DIAGNOSIS IS HELL. yOUR PUTTING YOUR OWN SELF THROUGH A POSSIBLE SITUATION THAT IS OR IS NOT POSSITIVE. !!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

sHE HAS BEAUTIFUL HAIR AS OF TODAY AND HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH HER HAIR REGROWTH AND MAINTAINENCE . dOES NOT MATTER THE DIAGNOSIS. sHE IS IN HAPPY MODE !! tHANK GOD FOR HAPPY STORIES !! iF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CORRECT DIAGNOSIS AND ARE DIOGNOSING YOUR SELF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yOUR NOT GONNA KNOW WHAT TO DO THAT " MIGHT " HELP ... sELF DIAGNOSIS IS HELL. yOUR PUTTING YOUR OWN SELF THROUGH A POSSIBLE SITUATION THAT IS OR IS NOT POSSITIVE. !!!!!

15. rwpecia

rwpecia Guest

You have made some significant advances! Also you may want to get ketoconazole shampoo. Most do the 2% but if you don't need it now only do 1% on the shelf. I wish you the best.

16. BGS92

BGS92 Guest

I am very happy for her (and a bit jealous, but I don't mind saying that lol), but it does matter a bit with the diagnosis. Because with TE the hair recovers by itself and treatments like rogaine and Spironolactone might not do anything, it's just the hair coming back by itself. But if she has Androgenetic Alopecia she must have done something right since her hair obviously grew back, so that's what I'm interested in and why I asked about her diagnosis. But I am still very happy for her, that her hair looks so good now. :)

17. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for your kind words!

I had a scalp biopsy after a full year of shedding that came back as Androgenetic Alopecia. Trust me, I prayed that it was TE but the shedding never stopped. Who knows if it is diffuse Alopecia Areata or Androgenetic Alopecia, but rogaine and spironolactone has worked for me. I wish I had some miraculous recovery, but I know I can contribute my success to rogaine and Spironolactone because my shedding stopped a month after I started using them.

18. ChloeLondon

ChloeLondon New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Great result!

Your hair looks amazing, incredibly healthy and thick. Did you get the awful shed with the Rogaine or Spironolactone? If so, how long did it last?

I just bought some Spironolactone online, my GP wasn't helpful, very dismissive even after 5 visits, and hairloss for 3 years :(

I haven't bought the regaine yet, still building up the courage! I shed hundreds a day, so any increase is a scary thought!
    On every occasion I have seen my GP, I have been offered only a thyroid and iron test, and those
    tests have come back normal.
    When I asked whether I could see a dermatologist, she answered, 'There is nothing that can be done, it's probably hormonal' Hence my buying overpriced Spironolactone online, as she also refused me a prescription.

It seems very hard get a diagnosis, so I am guessing at Androgenetic Alopecia, due to the on going heavy shedding and diffuse thinning.[​IMG]

19. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I thought it took around 6 months to see whether or not a treatment worked - the cycle of the hair follicle, etc. But always good to hear a success story!

20. hairlossmaniac

hairlossmaniac Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    For all the lovely women here may I ask something? My shedding was around 50 to 60 on wash days from Jan to March which I knew was very much for me so I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with cte. April may June july my shedding skyrocketed to 300+ on wash days combing n all. This four months I went to 5 docs n was diagnosed by fphl by a hair clinic but they seemed all useless. Around start of July I tried minoxidil and it was an unbelievable shed of 2000+!!!!!!!!!!!!!on one single day...I panicked n went to a new doctor Nt with any hope just out of desperation...he told to stop the minoxidil confidently n argued that this was Nt fphl. I was put on elthroxin fr slight thyroid n alpecin liquid. Now fast forward today I shed 25 to 30 on normal days n 60+ on wash days. The thing is I Dnt knw if this is improvment...my hair iss veryyy thin I mean very...scalp Nt showing as of yet...but obvious thinning in temples n still this much shedding n some long hairs thinner than others...what am I to expect with this journey? Could this be a te? Or indeed fphl. On close inspection under heavy light my part is disturbed.nape of at worst.Thank you.