Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine/Spironolactone success - 2 year update

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by JeHope, Jun 1, 2014.

1. ducksauce

ducksauce Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hairloss… while no member here is capable of diagnosing anyone, there are some things in your story that may help to give you reassurance. Shedding under 100 is considered "normal" now, it may be far too much for you, but its not way outside of the realm of average. Sheds can fluctuate depending on season, often shedding more in spring and again in fall. Minoxidil can cause horrific sheds, so that's not unusual either. I think I've said this before, but look closely at your diet, your exercise, your sleep… your general well being. Foccus on making the healthiest choices for your body. Reduce processed foods, eat fresh. Eat your veggies and fruits, reduce your grains. Eat red meat, high quality, grass fed non-antiboitic laden if you can. And lastly, take a deep breath and wait. I know that last part is so very difficult, but hair does not just "come back" the day its lost. It can take time.. 6+ months. Make the best choices you can in terms of your health and see if it helps.

2. CiaraWooolf

CiaraWooolf Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just wanted to give Jehope congratulations on your beautiful hair, your pictures even seem like a wig or a topper, amazing!
    Thank you for keeping us motivated with success stories! :)

3. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you CiaraWolf! I am going through a REALLY high shed right now and I have to come back on here to look at the progress pictures of mine so I can remind myself that it is possible to lose a ton of hair and still have regrowth.

Hairlossmaniac- i think that the only person that can judge if you are losing more hair than normal is yourself. If you feel like something is up, then I highly suggest that you follow the advice that ducksauce gave you! Make healthy life changes and see if that makes a difference within a year. If it doesn't, then go for a more specific hair loss treatment like rogaine.

4. hairlossmaniac

hairlossmaniac Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Jehope I had tried Rogaine but I got a terrrible shed of 2000+ hair in one single day. That was very unbelievable. That couldn't be a Dred shed! It was toooooo much for a Dred shed. So I stopped it after 2 weeks.

Ducksauce thank you for Ur advice.I am trying my best to keep calm and eat well. The most difficult part is the uncertainty.

5. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    It is a dread shed :(. Girl I know the dread sheds are awful with rogaine. I lost an insane amount of hair when I started too!

6. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Great results! You look great. ;):eek:

7. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    I just wanted to update and say that my hair is still looking amazing! I've now been on rogaine/sprio for 3.5 years. I still go through periods of a high shed but I've come to believe that it is regrowth pushing old hair out because I always get tons of new growth after a shed.

If anyone ever has questions about starting sprio/rogaine please feel free to PM me!

Jan likes this.
  8. mommybetts

mommybetts Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yay!! Thanks for giving us hope. Are you taking a BC too?

9. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard that with Rogaine you have periods of high shed followed by regrowth because after you are on it for a while your follicles sync up and shed at similar times in higher rates than people who are not on Rogaine. I don't know if this is true or not but have read it often enough to think there might be truth to it. Your results speak for themselves so congrats and thanks so much for the positive story and updates! I'm so happy for you.

Jan likes this.
  10. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    Mommybets, yes I am on birth control but I was on birth control long before I started losing my hair so i contribute all of my success to rogaine and spironolactone.

Hairtothere- that's interesting! I never thought of it like that but that makes sense!

11. Distraughtshedder

Distraughtshedder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! This is so encouraging! Your results are amazing. I am not on Spironolactone...but am having great success with rogaine/latisse so far. So much so that I often think I just might end up with BETTER hair than before half of it fell out. Which certainly seems to be the case for you. congrats!!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you put rogaine on your entire head and are you still using it daily? My doctor said i may be able to drop down to every other day in a year or two.

12. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I put rogaine on my entire head, twice a day every day. I use the rogaine for men, so it's 5% midoxidil. It works so incredibly well!

I wouldn't go on spironolactone if you're already having good success with just rogaine and latisse. One of my biggest regrets is I started rogaine and Spironolactone at the same time so I don't really know if I could have had just as good of success with rogaine alone.

13. bgcbkt

bgcbkt New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for sharing. It is really encouring and great to know it is possible to get good results. I Am pregnant right now so i cant use anything but cannot wait to hopefully get my hair back.

14. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Distraughtshedder, I disagree with Jehope here. That's great the Rogaine/Latisse combo is working for you, however, you are not treating the cause of your hair loss (if you have Androgenetic Alopecia.) I've read just using Rogaine without an anti-androgen/DHT blocker compared to trying to fill a bucket that has holes in it. It might fill up a little at first .... you get the idea. I think using something like Spironolactone or Finestaride is so incredibly important when dealing with Androgenetic Alopecia. We must take no prisoners. Once the hair is lost, it's lost. Rogaine is stimulating growth for you right now but think of the long term .... DHT is still killing your follicles slowly. I cannot emphasize enough the use of an anti-androgen or DHT blocker. If you don't like the idea of taking systemic medication, you can use Spironolactone and/or Finestaride topically. Setipiprant is a newer treatment that I don't believe is available to the public yet but you might want to look into it. Also, RU is an experimental treatment that reduces DHT levels pretty significantly when applied topically.

15. Distraughtshedder

Distraughtshedder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Labella!

I really have no interest in taking any meds at this point. I have recovered almost all of my crown coverage and my hair is getting thicker and longer by the day. I am lucky to have had such great and FAST results. I think it has a lot to do with the latisse. Imo more women should try it on their scalp even if their drs are hesitant. The potential side effects cant be any worse than a lot of the meds out there. Perhaps if I see adecline in my hair in the future I will revisit taking medication ... But for now ... Whatever I am doing is working ... If aint broke dont fix it lol. Most of my hairloss was probably due to a combo of stress, anemia, and medication. It didnt fall out gradually.. It basically jumped off my head overnight lol ... Well not quite overnight but you get the picture :) ....

16. Alexa1

Alexa1 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow

Your hair looks awesome !!! Congratulations :bravo:
    I'm on Spironolactone as well 200mg, finasteride 5mg, yazmin and vitamins
    But I don't see any improvement and every single day the thinning is progressing :(

17. cecimonteiro

cecimonteiro New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I'd like to know how you get your Latisse? I saw some generics over the internet, but it's still very expensive. How much do you put on your hair every day?

Thank you for answering me.

18. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have gotten Latisse for my eyelashes thru my dermatologist. I can't understand how women apply it to their scalp when a little bottle has such a big price tag!

19. Mina

Mina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi.
    Would u plz give an update on how ur hair is now? I have been so unsure lately if I should start Spironolactone, but after reading ur post I really want to try this