Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine Users Past And Present--seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by bella496, Jul 11, 2017.

1. bella496

bella496 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everybody!

It's been awhile since I've posted on the boards. I'm sad to report that while my shedding has lessened somewhat since this whole ordeal began in 2014, I'm still losing an abnormal amount daily and my hair has thinned considerably as a result.

After three years of significant shedding/thinning, I was diagnosed with both TE and early Androgenetic Alopecia last summer. It's taken a year for me to come to terms with the latter diagnosis, but I finally feel ready to start Rogaine. However, I'm very wary of all the side-effects.

If you currently use Rogaine, or did in the past for any length of time, would you mind sharing your experience with me? Did you suffer any side effects--water retention, facial puffiness, increased facial/body hair? At what point did your dread shed begin? If you saw any results, how long did it take for them to become apparent?

Also, I'm due to have a minor surgery (that I've been putting off since my hair loss began) later this year. Should I hold off on the Rogaine until afterwards, in the event it causes another TE episode?

Thanks in advance--while I haven't been posting, I never stopped reading the forums and the knowledge that I'm not alone has helped me deal with all of this.

2. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Bella,

I have used Rogaine but only at 2% to treat my hairloss which is from Alopecia Areata. I wasn't on it for that long a time so can't really say I noticed any side effects. It was originally used to treat high blood pressure and the side effect of hair extra hair growing was noted so it's now used to treat hairloss.

I have heard from people whose blood pressure was affected by it and they noticed heart palpitations and undesirable side effects.We are all different in how we react to various meds or treatments but I think everyone should be informed of any and all possible side effects before starting a treatment.

I have some information that I posted about Rogaine on these forums:

"Along with Propecia ,Rogaine is one of the only proven hair loss medication options approved by the FDA for treating hair loss. Minoxidil, (Rogaine's active ingredient), was originally created as a drug for treating hypertension (high blood pressure). It was then discovered that one of its side affects was growing hair. Minoxidil was then tested for use a topical application for regrowing hair. The results were sufficiently impressive that the FDA approved it as a treatment for hair loss.

Rogaine (minoxidil) works by opening the follicles potassium channels located in the cells. Its theorized that these channels, when opened, may regulate hair growth.

Its important to note that Rogaine (minoxidil) does not cure baldness and scientists have been unable to determine just how it works. What is known is that Rogaine increases the blood flow to the areas of the scalp that surround these balding areas. Currently some researchers believe that Rogaine (minoxidil) works by opening the follicles potassium channels located in the cells. Its theorized that these channels, when opened, may regulate hair growth.

Rogaine can't grow hair on completely bald scalps or in the frontal hairline areas. It has been found to be somewhat effective in maintaining or growing hair in the crown area (the top back of the head). However, Rogaine is only effective at delaying hair loss. It is also more effective in women than men.

In most cases, the best case scenario for hair growth with these treatments is a thin coverage of thin hair.

The real benefits of Rogaine (minoxidil) is keeping what hair you have or slowing your thinning. Rogaine's success depends on how advanced your hair loss has become.

You must apply it to your scalp twice a day for life to get and maintain any benefits. Research shows that using Rogaine (minoxidil) only once a day is ineffective. If you stop taking Rogaine (minoxidil) you will loose whatever hair you preserved or regrew within 2 to 4 months. And while Rogaine may stimulate hair growth, it may not prevent the hair follicles from their eventual deterioration.

It's also true that Rogaine's effects may diminish over time. Some doctors believe that patients can build up a tolerance after many years of use. But it's possible to fight this tolerance by taking a week or two off from the treatment every 3-4 months. However, it's not advised to take this break unless you've taken the hair loss medication consistently for at least 12 months.

There are only minor side effects with Rogaine. But some users do experience certain problems such as scalp irritation, itching, and dandruff.

However, this can be treated with a good shampoo like Nizoral or Neutrogena T-Gel. There may also be an increase in hair shedding at the start of the treatment. You shouldn't panic, as this may actually be a signal that the treatment is working.

Due to the medication's alcohol content, some users may develop a contact rash or irritated skin. And with excessive doses, some users may experience dizziness or a rapid heartbeat. However, with normal use these effects are uncommon.

Rogaine users with severe, refractory high blood pressure experienced some problems. One such problem was hypertrichosis,hair growth on the face or other bodily areas. This side effect appears in about 3-5 % of women who use the 2% solution, and higher among women using the 5% solution."

Hugs,
    Joann

3. Lea

Lea Member

Dislikes Received:
    I started Rogaine back in October 2015, originally used the 2% twice a day, then switched to the 5% foam in November of 2015. I personally preferred the foam because it was less messy and only required one application daily. I used much less than directed on the packaging (about a dab on my finger), as I was kind of nervous about side effects. I did see some awesome regrowth the first few months, but after about six months, I started to shed again quite a bit. Rogaine seemed to have been most effective for me personally by just slowing down hair loss. Sadly, it continued to thin over the next year. I just recently stopped using Rogaine altogether as I am thinking about TTC in the next few months.

I did not experience dread shed either at the beginning or now that I have stopped using it.
    With the 2% (due to the alcohol content), my scalp got really itchy and I had a lot of dandruff. I did not have the problem any longer when I switched to the foam.
    I eventually noticed some facial hair growth as a result of using Rogaine, but started using facial hair removal cream once a week and it was okay.

Now that I am off of Rogaine, my hair is shedding again quite a lot each day, but from my perspective, it's just gone back to the way it was pre-Rogaine. I am now trying to embrace hair wearing, and have been full time in hair since last month.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

4. Deepshika Jehangir

Deepshika Jehangir New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I started using Rogaine in 2015 at 2%. Gradually I started to use the foam at 5% since it was to be applied only once a day. The only sad thing i have to complain about is that i had three major side effects.
    1. I basically had unnecessary hair growth out of my neck and chin and had to shave almost every 4 days to avoid looking horrible
    2. I fainted five times during the course of this medicine after which i decided to stop using it.
    3. I gained over 25 pounds over the course of 8 months.

It was only a matter of time before i stopped using this medicine.