Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine Users - Regrowth and Shedding Cycles?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by divinemiss, Jun 6, 2015.

1. divinemiss

divinemiss New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so upset and frustrated these last few days. I've been on Rogaine for one year and 8 months, since Oct. 2013. Here's my story so far:
    -Went through the dred shed, got great regrowth after two months in, which lasted seven months. I felt pretty good about it.
    -Went through another intense shed for four months last summer, from May until August.
    -In August, I started another 7 months of amazing regrowth which lasted through April. I felt confident, beautiful and stopped obsessing.

Last month (May 2015), I started shedding again. It started out slowly, but these last few days have been some of the most horrible days I've ever had. Hair is literally pouring out of my head. Many of the hairs are small and thin, and definitely miniaturized, but I'm shedding long ones too. I've lost nearly all of the regrowth I've had in less than a month. It's devastating.

The weird thing is, that this same thing happened to me at the exact same time last year. I'm hoping this is just a "summer shed," which I have gotten the past two summers, but this is bad and I feel ugly. More than that, just finding hairs every two seconds is enough to drive me insane.

Would love to hear if there are any long-term Rogaine users here who have had cycles like this, or any thoughts in general...

2. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I have no advice since I'm only 5 months in, but hopefully some long-term users will happen to pop back in with advice. I've heard people talk about seasonal sheds before, but I think that can happen regardless of Rogaine.

3. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, this has freaked me out a little - actually, a lot! Just hit 8 months on Rogaine with great results and can't imagine going back to square one. It must be beyond frustration for you.

are there any other obvious triggers that could be causing the shed? stress, dieting, illness, etc?

Are you seeing a doctor that could offer any suggestions?

4. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been on rogaine for 3 years and I experienced the same shedding cycles. Don't freak out, the hair you are losing now WILL grow back. For me, I swear more hair came in after a period of shedding. If you look through my old posts you will see a bunch of posts about my periods of sheds while using rogaine. I can now say that the periods of shed are much less frequent now. I know it's scary and it sucks to lose hair but hang in there with the rogaine!!! It WORKS!

Georgina, Jan and mcat11 like this.
  5. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for checking back in periodically. I know it helps so many of us! Glad to hear you are doing well.

6. divinemiss

divinemiss New Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's really good to know, thank you! That's what I'm hoping for in the back of my mind, since I literally went through the same exact thing last summer - it literally started nearly the same week as last year. I just hope it doesn't last three months again... my hair is already so much thinner than it was even just a month ago. It's shedding too much to even wear down, I have to tie it up or I'll go insane.

I do see some baby hairs growing in, so fingers crossed... I'll try to update on my status.

7. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rogaine Shedding Cycle

So, I saw this post and thought about writing my experience. I started Rogaine mid December of 2014. Started by doing it every other day (5% foam). Didn't noticed a major increase in shedding, and I was already losing a lot of hair. At around end of Feb, I noticed a major decrease in shedding. Got really glad and thought the hair loss was behind me. Around mid April, I realized my part was ALOT tighter and my forhead seemed to have more hair. when I would part my hair to put rogaine in, I would see all these 1/2" gorwth popping out. I increased my rogain use to about 5 days/week from every other day and I would do it consistently.
    Was really happy about the results, but around late April, my shed went up again. that lasted about 10days and it slowed. Then again a month later, It went back up and lasted for about 10 days, and today June 19, I washed my hair and the shed was up again.

Is this normal? it just seems like for me, for about 10 days out of each month, my shed is higher. Still not as high as it used to be before Rogaine (specially on some days I used to lose close to 250), but it is higher than the rest of the month.

Don't get me wrong, I am REALLY happy about my progress on rogaine. My hair looks 10-15% better, but these periods of high shed keep me stressed. sometimes makes me scared that I might lose the improvements I have gotten so far.

Any ideas? I knew you would have periodic sheds on Rogaine, but I just never thought it would be like this. within just a month.

8. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I think that's totally normal. I've read several articles that state rogaine doesn't stop your normal shed of hair so the fluctuations you are seeing are probably totally normal. Also, I remember reading on here posts from JeHope that talked about how her shed fluctuated on rogaine but she continued to get good regrowth. Reading her old posts might help give you some reassurance.

I'm glad to hear it's working for you! I just started month 5 and feel my hair is looking worse although regrowth is sticking up.

Jan likes this.
  9. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    There is definitely period shedding as it is normal for hair to go through it's phases. Stick with it, it will get better. :) One thing I will say is that it seems a lot more effective with twice a day usage rather than 1. I tried with one time a day but noticed more shed, or maybe it was a coincidence?

I don't know.

mcat11 likes this.
  10. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    So, its been almost a year since my last post on this thread, so I decided to pop in and give a little update.
    After I posted on this thread last year, my shed continued to be up and down (mostly up) until early July. In mid July last year, it went dramatically down. It stayed low for a good 4 months. then in November it went up again, but not as much as I was losing in the May and June. then it went down in late December and stayed really low for about 4 months. during this time, my hair really thickened up... probably the best it has looked in 10 years... but then in late April of this year, the shed slowly increased, and for the last month, its been noticeably higher.

I have not noticed a dramatic change in the thickness of my hair yet, and I am seeing a lot of regrowth, so that is keeping me hopeful, but it looks like Divinemiss I am experiencing the same thing. 4-5 months of great regrowth and low sheds followed by a couple of months of higher shed that coincide with late Spring/early Summer.... and if I look back to the last few years, my hair has followed the same exact pattern each year (although the hairloss was a lot worst before Rogaine).

Jan and mcat11 like this.
  11. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone experienced this types of fluctuation in shedding that happens the same exact time each year? I tried to look up Divinemiss, but it looks like she hasn't been back on this board since last Summer (hopefully, that is a good sign), but I am experiencing the same exact thing as she posted here. I started Jan 2015 on Rogaine, after about a month, my shedding went down, got amazing regrowth until MAy 2015. the shedding then went up again and it was worst late June-early July2015 for about 3 weeks. Then in mid July last year it went back way down. and I got another 9 months of regrowth.

Fast forward to this year, just last month (May2016), I noticed around mothers day that my shed is up a little, didn't think much of it, but it slowely kept going up and for the last 2 weeks (since June 11th) my shed has been pretty much back to pre- Rogaine time. Exactly what happened last year, almost around the same exact time of the year.... Has anyone else dealt with this? Please respond.

12. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody? I really would appreciate it if some of you long term Rogaine users responded.

13. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if anyone reads this, but I think I should probably give a little update on my experience with Rogaine for others who are earlier in their journey. I have been on Rogaine for 1.5 years. about 6 months after starting, around mid/late May 2015, my shed went up to pre-Rogaine levels. It stayed pretty much at that level until July 9th 2015. At which point, it went dramatically down, and I resumed another 5 months of regrowth. I experienced a mini shed in Nov 2015 for about a couple of weeks, but it wasn't nearly as dramatic as the May/june shed.

Fast forward to this year, I am experiencing the same exact cycle, starting almost the same exact day of the year. Hair is literally pouring out of my head. I have baby fine hair on the thinner side, and this is just devastating to see. Today, July 1st 2016, I washed my hair, and I probably shed at least 150 between shower and comb not to mention what I will lose during the day. The hair is all different lengths: I see a lot of short/thin hair, but also long thick ones. I almost had a metldown today seeing this, and am really depressed right now. I am hoping just like other Rogaine users on this thread that this shed is a cyclical thing and like it did last year, it will stop by July 9th, so the end is near, but part of me wonders what if it doesn't stop.

I have to say that I haven't seen a noticeable change in my Rogaine progress. My part is still thicker than it was pre Rogaine, and I am seeing tons of regrowth, but this hair loss cycle is really distressing.

I will try to come back and give updates specially for those of you who are at the beginning of this journey ... specially when my shed finally stops.

mcat11 likes this.
  14. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    So, I just wanted to give an update. My shed finally started tapering down early August, and since last weekend, it seems to be approaching the normal range it was before my seasonal shed started. It still needs to get a little lower before I call it back to normal, but it is definitely definitely lower than it was a month ago.

I am finally convinced this is seasonal shedding. IT has happened to me like this for the last 3 years around the same months every year. Every year, it has had a different variation. LAst year, it was heavy through late May, most June and early July and in mid July, it all of a sudden stopped over night. This year, it started tapering up from mid May, and was really bad From Mid June-Early July and then it started tapering off in Mid July, and now that it is almost mid August, it is pretty much back to normal. I haven't lost any noticeable density and not seeing noticeable thinning. It looks like I was able to keep the progress I gained with Rogaine.

I do have to say, this year seasonal shedding has really changed my perspective. I had high hopes that with Rogaine, I might be able to stop the shedding, but I am beginning to realize that hair loss is something I need to deal with for the rest of my life. It does make me sad, but I will have to find a way to move on.

15. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    So, I wanted to give another update. Since the beginning of September, my shedding has decreased even more. I consider it back to normal now and what it was before the seasonal shed started. However, I have to say that going through the last 3 months has changed me. Before this shedding begin, I had hoped that Rogaine would stop the shedding and keep giving me more hair. After going through this period, I am realizing that the shedding will happen and Rogaine won't stop it. Also after being on Rogaine for more than 1.5 year, this is probably as good as my hair is going to get, so there is no point hoping it will get better. As I age, the hair loss will probably progress and all Rogaine will do is to slow it down. This is all kind of sad for me to digest, but I have to accept it and enjoy my hair now that it is looking pretty good.

16. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Just wanted to give another update for anyone that is on Rogaine. My seasonal shed lasted June and July. It slowly tapered off in August and in Sept was at an all time low. Even lower than normal. That lasted until mid November. then it picked up again. Not as bad as summer time, but higher than Sep/Oct. In early Dec, it decreased and it has been to normal levels since then. It looks like there is a pattern here of sheds that coincides with seasonal changes.

17. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am on Rogaine for 3 years. And my conclusion so far is that this is a dark horse.
    a) workes miracles for some members
    b) does absolutely nothing to others except of dread shed which never gives you regrowth
    c) stock my nose in some forums where guys are talking about same problem and one of them gave a pretty reasonable (?) explanation that Rogain synchronizes your sheds. What he meant by that - that they will always come now and then very intense and then regrow. Phuh ! By the time regrowth reaches normal lenght - how much time passes.
    d ) My experience : Never dread shed. Definitely worked in my body - eyelashes and body hair got longer. Reported 2 years ago in a positive outlook that my temples definitely filled in (Rogain ? hormones ? flattening lighting in a hotel room ? Vitamins ? Thyroid meds ?)
    c) Fm February 2014 and untill now lost tonns of hari - cotton candy hairs (not sorry for them, new ones which may be a few inches long and of course, my lush strong hair strands) 300-500 hairs a day easy, and mind you - hair, not hair spliss. Lost again all overall volume and it is enough to give my hair light pull and 2-3 strands are coming out (those which are not bound by hair extentions - I posted in a different thread that I am in a wicked denial phase and put hair extentions with keratin bonding) BUT since last 2 days was not appliying rogain - got fed up of flaky skalp which gets greasy. Guess what ? Min shed during these 2 days. Coincedence ? Dont know, that is why after 3 years I call it dark horse - works for some, messes up others.

18. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your feedback.
    I think Rogaine has worked for me. I would say my hair looks 15% better than it did before using it. I have gotten maybe 10% more hair, and another 5-10% the hair that was there is growing in thicker, but it is not a miracle cure that maybe I was hoping it would be. I certainly don't understanding the shedding cycles. I can have a few months where I lose very little and then a few months where I lose twice as much. I guess, I was hoping it would stop my shedding, but it hasn't done that. Maybe I didn't have the right expectation about it.

mcat11 likes this.
  19. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    sarvnaz123 its May again, are you experiencing shed?

Jan likes this.
  20. Jan

Jan Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm having this happen to me I believe. After 8 mos of great results, been shedding since June. I'm over it.