Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine Users - Regrowth and Shedding Cycles?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by divinemiss, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Jtilly

Jtilly Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Do you still take insotiol?
    I’m just confused because this horrendous shed started when I wasn’t stressed. And I’ve had cortisol levels checked several times, it comes back normal.

2. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    @Jettly regarding increased shed.

Your shed wile you stopped stressing was due to previous stressful times. It is like borrowing money fm the bank with high interest rate which is due only in a couple of re-payment free months. But just ask yourself - what is absolute WORST what can happen to you ? Probably the top-notch expensive wig - be it for every day, or for swimming-other sports (suction wigs with silicon) etc etc. And who knows, may be after that regrowth happens. There were quite a few members here in the past who reprorted a srange recovery after they were scheduled to try on wigs. I only whish that I would have spent less money in the past on dubios hair miracle fixers and designer bags - would not need to stretch my savings now for all the wigs issues which seem to be moving closer and closer. My heart always stops when I see with my eagle sharp eyes women out there who have cheap, easy to spot wigs and I am praying that if I really should get bold(ish), I will at least have means for a good wig.
    Anyway....must stop reading here for now, because my anxiety levels go up.

TinaM1968 and Jtilly like this.
  3. Jtilly

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t blame you for needing to take a break from here. It definitely can increase anxiety.
    It varies for me. Sometimes increases anxiety, sometimes helps me, comforts me, gives me reassurance...

From day one I have given serious thoughts to what is the worst that can happen, going bald.
    And I’ve been to try wigs 4 times.
    Found one I LOVE last Friday, but yes, VERY expensive. Huge investment of over 6 thousand dollars. That scares me too.
    It’s a closed front, not lace front, so I can integrate some of my bio hair into it.
    But I ask myself, what if I make this big investment, lose all my bio hair and can’t integrate my bio hair into it??
    Then it will look bad. And I’ve never wanted to mess with the lace fronts. They look like so much work.
    I too have seen women with obvious wigs and it TERRIFIES me that will end up being me one of these days..

These are just some of the thoughts swirling through my head as I brace for impact.
    Perhaps if I wasn’t losing 200/300 hairs a day I could calm down a little and work on acceptance.

Much love to you Barbarina!! Thank you for always taking time to reach out!! ❤️

4. Georgina

Georgina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can attest to the cortisol thing.

My estrogen died because of chronically elevated cortisol levels. I have read many studies too regarding the impact of stress response hormones on skin and hair. It can cause retardation of growth, which is due to the negative effects cortisol has on growth factors and immunity. T cells are an essential instigator of new hair growth. Cortisol messes with how these pro inflammatory T cells function.

I have been racking my brain for the longest time to figure out how to stop the cascade from the root. I have tried all the supplements. Useless. Pharmaceutical drugs which lower cortisol levels are my next experiment (I am NOT advocating this). Mediation, yoga, acupuncture... might work for someone else but not for me.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  5. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    ....before I dissapear for a while fm this board, my last input into cortisol-stress-skin/hair problems. Now 3 years ago when I was already dealing with hair loss running fm one derma to another wasting money for all the tests, I developed on my tigh a strange rush - it was rather a big patch of rash, size of a palm. Tiny puss infected pimples set on a red inflamed skin. I was treated with strong oral antiboitica and injections, and cortison - oral and creams and you name it. It was torture in summer, because I couldnt reapply all these creams without sweating them out immediately. Nothing helped, I even cancelled holidays in the sun, because of it. This crap was sitting with me 6 months !!!!! and according to 2 dermas who were prescirbing me strong anibiotica injections it should have cleared itself within max 2 weeks. Went to have 3rd opinion, same story - same prescription, because there are only so many meds on the market. And then when I gave up and stopped applying creams, because it was pointless - was doing it with lazy hand only now and then - it all shrunk and disappeared within what - 5 days. How can it be possible ? Stress which was sabotaging my body fm healing. It was also during the times when I consulted psyhotherapist (years ago I was much better insured and was able to afford it) His words were very simple, but oh, so spot on "Honey, everybody who suffers fm one or another trauma, be it a loss of a child, or a job, or hair - comes to me having skin problems too. Reduce your stress levels" He prescribed me some antidepressants which I quit taking because they only made me fat and also quit him in general, since he stopped finding right words for me - sorry, I am a bad responder to crap motivation like "even bold you will be beautiful, you are not your hair" Ermm......some women have standards. What next ? I am not my hands, it is perfectly Ok to run with dirt under my nails after gardening :))) Ok, hope we will all have a peacefull Xmas and a Hairy New Year.

#65 Barbarina, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Georgina likes this.
  6. Jtilly

Dislikes Received:
    To all you beautiful lovely ladies, who have been a huge help to me, before you go, have a few more last questions.
    So let’s say I do the 24 saliva cortisol test, and it comes back elevated, how does one correct that? Or can it not be corrected?
    And is it known to permanently kill your hormones? Or can the correction of high cortisol correct hormones? I’m gonna guess not... or that it’s unknown...

I will miss your advice and wisdom but I totally understand why you need a break. I hope the very best for you both! ❤️❤️
    I hope a very hairy holidays to you both!
    Thank you for every response and so much information!
    It has really helped me because tho I have done a lot of research, this is still very new to me.

Hugs to all of you!

7. Jtilly

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much!! I’m so happy for you that your shed has decreased today and will pray it stays that way for you!!
    I so greatly appreciate all of your feedback, advice and sharing the wisdom you have going through all this.
    I pray so much that all this hair I’m losing from what I presume is a TE will recover eventually.
    What scares me is if I can’t identify the trigger of the TE.
    If I go based on what many doctors and derms say, and look back to 3 months ago, that is when I started 25mg of Spironolactone. I’ve been on it for 3 1/2 months, but this increased shed started about 3 weeks ago now. Started out slow and has increased daily. I wouldn’t think such a low dose of Spironolactone would cause this shed...
    Also had PRP/CRP September 20th. First treatment was supposed to decrease any shedding. Which after about a month it did just that, so I was like “Yay!!”
    Second and third treatments, supposed to see growth IF you are a good responder.
    Started all those new vitamins on November 17th.
    I know they say 2 or 3 months, but I swear my hair is a quick responder to new changes.
    I know my Selenium came back over the limit and that can cause hair loss. Selenium was in several of the vitamins she had me taking.
    I also know for some reason my body responds very poorly to B vitamins which she had me taking a lot of.
    I’ve actually tested sky high on B-12 in the past. I think for me B vitamins overstimulate me and give me anxiety. I think, but who knows.

I am doing everything in my power to stay calm, but honestly I’ve never seen this much hair come out in my life so it is pretty upsetting.
    I know stressing won’t make it better and probably make it worse. So I’m trying so hard to stay calm.
    I just need hope that this too shall pass.

Thank you again!! You give me hope!!

8. Jtilly

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah... I’ve been cutting my 25mg of Spironolactone in half for the last 5 nights trying to wean off. Because I don’t think it’s helping.
    But lord help me if it is and I’m making a bad decision, or I have more shedding after quitting.
    I just want to stay away from things that aren’t natural or are unnecessary.

9. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all, sorry I've been away, but so interesting (and so saddening) to read all the recent posts. I'm going to be away again, but please...can we meet here again, after or before the holidays?

Also, where is everyone located? I'm in Colorado.

I realize I've stopped the Minoxidil the past couple of days, because my hair is just falling out at record pace. I can't imagine a little Rogaine on parts of my scalp will do much. Am taking Primrose Oil (oh, if hair regrowth were that easy!!!), and going to work on stress (meditation/mindfulness are always on my 'mind', but I really need to practice.

See everyone soon...Be well, and know you're not alone.

10. Jtilly

Dislikes Received:
    I’m in Minnesota!!
    How long were you on Minoxidil? My derm told me to go on it but I was too chicken. Instead I went on Spironolactone which I regret and am trying to wean off.
    Also taking Evening Primrose Oil 500mg. Not sure what if anything that will do...

Hope you have a peaceful and happy holidays!!

11. electra

Dislikes Received:
    Hi!
    You too!
    I was only on it for a couple of weeks. I don't know...
    I'll do the EPO, as well.
    Talk soon...HUGS...

12. electra

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone tried or heard of the Minoxidil with Azelaic acid? Supposed to work better than just Minoxidil...?

I realize I'm paralyzed by the fear that nothing will work, and so I'm doing nothing but taking Primrose, adrenal caps, and Vitamin D. Minoxidil seems like a crapshoot, and also I dye my hair all the time (not ready for gray) and the Minoxidil seems to erase the color, quickly, so...Jeez, I don't know what to do. Meanwhile my hair falls out faster, and the hairline recedes more quickly.

Has anyone read this? I'd like to visit this doctor, but he's in New Zealand...He seems so knowledgeable and kind, and only charges $100/visit! Why doesn't the Canadian doctor do that??? :) But anyway, lots of good info. Have to read it again and take some notes.

Attached Files: