Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rogaine

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Joann, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Girls, :)

I just wanted to share the info I have on Rogaine . Many of you may already have it but in case some don't here it is:

"Along with Propecia ,Rogaine is one of the only proven hair loss medication options approved by the FDA for treating hair loss. Minoxidil, (Rogaine’s active ingredient), was originally created as a drug for treating hypertension (high blood pressure). It was then discovered that one of its side affects was growing hair. Minoxidil was then tested for use a topical application for regrowing hair. The results were sufficiently impressive that the FDA approved it as a treatment for hair loss.

Rogaine (minoxidil) works by opening the follicle’s potassium channels located in the cells. It’s theorized that these channels, when opened, may regulate hair growth.

It’s important to note that Rogaine (minoxidil) does not cure baldness and scientists have been unable to determine just how it works. What is known is that Rogaine increases the blood flow to the areas of the scalp that surround these balding areas. Currently some researchers believe that Rogaine (minoxidil) works by opening the follicle’s potassium channels located in the cells. It’s theorized that these channels, when opened, may regulate hair growth.

Rogaine can’t grow hair on completely bald scalps or in the frontal hairline areas. It has been found to be somewhat effective in maintaining or growing hair in the crown area (the top back of the head). However, Rogaine is only effective at delaying hair loss. It is also more effective in women than men.

In most cases, the best case scenario for hair growth with these treatments is a thin coverage of thin hair.

The real benefits of Rogaine (minoxidil) is keeping what hair you have or slowing your thinning. Rogaine’s success depends on how advanced your hair loss has become.

You must apply it to your scalp twice a day for life to get and maintain any benefits. Research shows that using Rogaine (minoxidil) only once a day is ineffective. If you stop taking Rogaine (minoxidil) you will loose whatever hair you preserved or regrew within 2 to 4 months. And while Rogaine may stimulate hair growth, it may not prevent the hair follicles from their eventual deterioration.

It's also true that Rogaine's effects may diminish over time. Some doctors believe that patients can build up a tolerance after many years of use. But it's possible to fight this tolerance by taking a week or two off from the treatment every 3-4 months. However, it's not advised to take this break unless you've taken the hair loss medication consistently for at least 12 months.

There are only minor side effects with Rogaine. But some users do experience certain problems such as scalp irritation, itching, and dandruff.

However, this can be treated with a good shampoo like Nizoral or Neutrogena T-Gel. There may also be an increase in hair shedding at the start of the treatment. You shouldn’t panic, as this may actually be a signal that the treatment is working.

Due to the medication’s alcohol content, some users may develop a contact rash or irritated skin. And with excessive doses, some users may experience dizziness or a rapid heartbeat. However, with normal use these effects are uncommon.

Rogaine users with severe, refractory high blood pressure experienced some problems. One such problem was “hypertrichosis,†hair growth on the face or other bodily areas. This side effect appears in about 3-5 % of women who use the 2% solution, and higher among women using the 5% solution."

Joann

2. Lost

Lost Guest

Thanks Joann few things in that little story I did'nt know !!! :whistle: But still glad I tryed it ;)

3. hope4hair

hope4hair Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    That helps!
    I wonder though, for people that stop, doe they loose even more hair than before? That's what I am afraid of!!

4. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Glad it helped girls. :) I went totally on blind faith when treating my hairloss.
    Big mistake not to do my homework before and then make informed decisions based on facts.

Joann

5. slr

slr Guest

my understanding (and someone, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) is that when you stop rogaine, basically you very quickly catch up to what your loss would have been had you never started.

6. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    :agree:

Me too. If it regrew hair, then hair loss would not continue to progress while using it. Actually, nobody would be on these boards anymore, we'd all have our hair back.

Joann, I thought it was more effective on men than women? Also, I did see a difference with a once per day routine.

Either way.. everyone that comes here definitely needs to go back as far as they can on these boards and read everything they can on Rogaine. All the answers to the questions that are asked every day are there and a million personal experiences to help you decide. Just be as realistic as possible about it and your decision will be the right one for you.

:)

7. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Got to say I have been on minoxidal 4% for about 16 years along with proscar 1/5 of a pill 3-4 times per week. I went off the proscar for a year and a half and my hair was still reasonably good. I think Rogaine can be quite beneficial even if it is just helping to maintain a bit. Since Rogaine is not a systemic treatment I feel quite confident in using it. I do realize that people may have different experiences with it!

8. Zoe789

Zoe789 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi snowflake, did your hair grow back after using Rogaine and taking proscar? And are you taking spironolactone at the same time?

9. snowflake

Dislikes Received:
    Not all my hair but a lot of it has grown back. I must emphasize you need to use it 2x a day, once was not enough for me. I don’t use Spironolactone.

10. Zoe789

Zoe789 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    thank you for letting me know.

11. snowflake

Dislikes Received:
    No problem!!

12. Zoe789

Zoe789 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    oh and have you had your DHT tested before taking procar?

13. snowflake

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t think so, there was bloodwork where it was discovered I was low on iron. Thinning hair is in my genes though.

14. Zoe789

Zoe789 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    okey i see, thanks.

15. Zoe789

Zoe789 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    how is the dosage? did you take 2.5mg everyday?

16. snowflake

Dislikes Received:
    I take 1/4 if a 5mg pill 3x a week

Zoe789 likes this.
  17. abia amir

abia amir New Member

Dislikes Received:
    While Rogaine has been proven to be effective in regrowing hair, there are many caveats. Rogaine only works in people with a hereditary form of hair loss at the top and back of the scalp. Only about 60 percent of people in clinical studies had good results, so there's a chance it may not work for you at all.