Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

rogiane...need answers please help

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by the_girl_who, Jun 7, 2007.

1. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

Hi all,

I'm 21 and live in the UK been suffereing from Alopecia areata. since I was 18...everytime i have had my bad periods the hair eventually grows back....when I was 19 it was pretty bad but 2 years later there was so much regrowth....but now my hair has fallen out all over again and is worst.

When it first happened to me.....i let it be.....second time i visited a derm...they prescribed me something but i hardly used it and just let it be....hair grew back and i did start using nourikin (for thinning hair) over a yeah later to give my hair a boost.

Now I think maybe i do need something so been looking at minoxidil which can be prescribed to me for 12.5% from clinic in London.

I'm not happy with using that as fear of:

side effects
    that once you use it and stop using it hair will just fall out again

so....is thee any point waste of money.

We have regaine here in the UK where you can get 2% of minoxidil...but again been reading up about it and it can cause
    shredding
    once you stop using it hair falls out anyway (i dont want to be dependant on it!)

Or i could just have the cream minoxidil which will cause the same above.

I'm desperate to try something, I dont want to give up. Its grown back before so they said it will do again even though it was take more than 2 years! I'm just worried because its so bad now it could be Alopecia Universalis.

Please help me with some answers, maybe if you been on it. You get facial hair apparently to.

This clinic i visited last week is ringing today this eve to see howI feel and if I want to go ahead with 12.5.....i dont think so.

But doesnt regaine......its not for the use of people with alopecia areata....

meh soo many questions and I know this clinic wont answer me they just want that 1105 pounds I will be paying them

thanks xxx

2. Guest

Guest Guest

First off 12.5% is overkill.

The 5% is sufficient to do the work. If you're worried about side effects at 2% I would be extremely worried about them at 12.5%.

The 5% rogaine foam is the recommended rogaine right now, for pretty much everyone. The 2% does not work in enough people to be relevant anymore. It came out in the 80's and has struggled to stay on the shelves since.

That's about the best advice you are going to get on the Rogaine issue, coming from someone who's been overdosing on the hair loss topic for nearly 8 years :)

Besides, you haven't mentioned what they are planning to charge you for the 12.5% but I can guarantee its more than the $29 USD you'd pay per month for the 5% foam from the local grocery store. Am I right?

I had a question up in the air as to whether Rogaine can assist with your specific type of Alopecia. Apparently according to the national instutitue of health, it can:

"Minoxidil (5%) (Rogaine*)--Topical minoxidil solution promotes hair growth in several conditions in which the hair follicle is small and not growing to its full potential. Minoxidil is FDA-approved for treating male and female pattern hair loss. It may also be useful in promoting hair growth in alopecia areata. The solution, applied twice daily, has been shown to promote hair growth in both adults and children, and may be used on the scalp, brow, and beard areas. With regular and proper use of the solution, new hair growth appears in about 12 weeks."

As for your concern of side effects, a lot of people simply try it and see if there are any issues. I don't believe you will have any problem. Laura, the founder of this site was a big rogaine user and had good results as well. The most she ever saw side effect-wise was slightly more arm hair growth, but I saw it firsthand myself and it wasn't even noticeable.

Admin

3. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

thank you for getting back to me...

Deffinately staying away from 12.5%...overkill as you said. I was meant to be recieveing a call from the clinic today for questions I may want answered and they never rang so they are waste of time and money. They maybe able to offer the product but they sure didnt care about the dose they were going to give me. They were going to charge me £1105 for 12.5 minoxidil for 12 months for once a month check ups with head massage and laser stuff.

I have alopecia areata but reading up on things i dont know if I may have diffuse alopecia areata...patches have joined up. I suffered before 2 years a go and I nearly had a whole head of hair. So trying to stay positive it will grow back. Didnt use anthing before.

With rogaine though (its sold in the US)...I'm UK resisdent can i get it here?

Once you start using it do you have to stay on it for the rest of your life? Thats what I have read because once you discontine use hair will most fall out again.

Does more hair fall out once you start using it before it gets better?

Does it make your scalp, hair greasy?

thank you for replies xxx