Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Rosemary and apple cider vinegar?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Adi, May 19, 2012.

1. Adi

Adi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Someone recommended rosemary to me for hair regrowth and health. I am skeptical and dont think it will bring any miracles, but am curious. Seems simple and safe at least. And I have a big rosemary bush that I never use.

This lady says she never uses shampoo/conditioner, just homemade soap with the rosemary/apple cider vinegar rinse. I am yet to try it, but am planning to :
    http://slowlivingessentials.blogspot.co ... rinse.html

Anyone else use a rosemary rinse?

2. waterbaby

waterbaby Guest

I don't know if it will stop shedding grow hair but it's very unlikely to do any harm. It's so safe you could drink it ... would you drink minoxidil?

I saw a recipe for home made shampoo this afternoon on YouTube but it was in French so there's no point in linking it. Basically it was a plain liquid soap called savon de Marseille (same thing as the castile soap I think) mixed with 2 or 3 different kinds of oils and a few drops of some essential oils (one was rosemary but there was also grapefruit and another one) and also natural keratine powder and other stuff that I forget now, natural silicon (?) and she used some kind of preservative as well I think. It looked and sounded quite good but it was quite complicated and I didn't have all the ingredients to make it.

Does anyone have a nice recipe for home made shampoo here? ALL the shampoos in the shops around where I live seem to have Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate in them and I'd quite like to use one that doesn't have it in it!

3. neencali

neencali Guest

I take rosmary and oregano in tablet form 3x daily. it helps with auto immune stuff and was recomened by my dr. I also use ACV 50% water on my hair daily after shampoo.
    not sure if anything helps but I do feel better most days.

4. Adi

Adi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh good to know! I have both rosemary and oregano growing at home and never use them for anything. Oregano I can actually eat as well, put it in teas and salads maybe. Never knew it helped with anything.

Also neencali - Do you condition your hair? Or just use the ACV? I am thinking of stopping the conditioner, thats what is causing my dandruff I think. ughh.

5. neencali

neencali Guest

Yes Adi I use two conditioners and my hair is so dry. I think the ACV dries it.

Here is my long shower routine
    Shampoo with non SLS shampoo
    spray scalp with ACV - let sit 2-5 min
    Rinse really really well using shower massager (massaging scalp is suppose to help)
    Next I use Equine (yes for horses with rain rot) rebuilding conditioner
    -that sits for 3-5 min and rinse again
    last I use a deep conditioner and leave on again for a bit and rinse.

Today I actually did an olive oil scalp massage first. My hair feels great today. It is soooo dry. I used to only wash every 2-3 days and since Alopecia Areata I have to wash daily to keep itch away.

yes the Oregano is good for your immune system and also for killing off yeast and combating allergies. I take it in a concentrated form and I swear my breath smells like pizza all the time. lol

Blessings to you,.

6. Adi

Adi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Neencali, that is a complex routine. I use the kirkland(costco) conditionar. While I liked it a lot initially, now I feel its causing Dandruff. Plus leaves the hair a bit weighed down. I am looking to try something new, but not sure what.

A friend recommended Aveda Shampoo and conditionar, and I might try that, it is kinda expensive though. $50 for a bottle. Also planning to use ACV with Rosemary.

What does the Equine rebuilding conditioner do?

7. neencali

neencali Guest

The aveda is expensive yes. I use the loreal shampoo and conditioner that has no SLS in it. It is very nice and it has rosemary in it. The equine rebuiler is intended for horses with rain rot. I don't know why it helps but I swear it does. My nape was totally gone and I started using the rebuilder on just the nape and my hair has fully regrown there. Now I use it everywhere. It is by megatek. I has marine protien in it and I think that is the magic ingredient. However the formula recently changed and they took it out so I am on my last bottle of the original stuff.

8. Vlal

Vlal Guest

I used to massage my head with jojoba oil that I put rosemary and other oils in. I found scalp massage quite good as I have a tight scalp and it has tended to be quite itchy and burn etc. At the same time I did the no-poo method of washing my scalp/hair only with baking soda and following it with an ACV rinse.

Now I tend to use organic SLS-free type shampoos. I think I may wean on to them totally at some point or else go back to the cheapy BS/ACV routine with the massaging. It took my hair about a week to adjust to that - at first it looked not good at all. :hairy:

9. Adi

Adi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Vlal. Which non-SLS shampoo do you use?

Also, I am new to all this - What is wrong with SLS - I am guessing it worsens hair loss ?I am looking at all the options available, trying to decide which shampoo to use.

I have the dreaded dandruff. That too right in front where my hairline starts, very hard to hide. My doctor recommended using H&S, selsun blue and Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo in rotation. Thats what I am using right now and the dandruff has lessened a bit but not completely gone.

10. Vlal

Vlal Guest

You could try Nizoral for the dandruff. I do like T-Gel and I use it as and when needed.

SLS - it's not so much about hair loss as just general hair care... It is used as a chemical in industry and is very harsh. Here's a little summary of why some people choose to avoid it: http://www.pureearthgawler.com.Alopecia Universalis/beta/ ... 8&Itemid=8
    I am not 100% SLS-free with my shampoos, but I try to use them more than the others and sometimes have long periods of only using them. I also prefer to use SLS-free on my wigs because products that don't have it in them tend to be less harsh on the hair and as wig hair is not getting the natural oils from the scalp anymore, it needs careful handling and lots of moisture.

The products I like are:

Anything by JASON - http://www.jason-natural.com/body-loving-products/hair

I noticed they have these: http://www.jason-natural.com/body-lovin ... thin-thick which I haven't tried. Also this: http://www.jason-natural.com/body-lovin ... uff-relief which again I have not tried.

Also...
    http://www.avalonorganics.com/?id=88&pid=30
    I love love love this: http://www.auravita.com/product/Tea-Tre ... =HOMI10220

11. Adi

Adi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Vlal! Will look them up.

12. julminia

julminia Guest

I don't know if it will stop shedding grow hair but it's very unlikely to do any harm. It's so safe you could drink it

13. Adi

Adi Member

Dislikes Received:
    You are right, it does appear harmless. But if it will make any change I will need to do it regularly for a long time. Its to be seen if I have the patience to keep applying it diligently.

14. Vlal

Vlal Guest

I have been drinking organic unfiltered ACV with the 'mother' for a while now. It helps with my sinusitis/allergies - dries up mucus (gross I know). I take 1 to 2 tbsp a day in hot water with 1 tsp local raw honey. :mrgreen: