Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Sarah's Minoxidil Journey (starting Dec 2020) :d

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by faeriechuu, Dec 13, 2020.

1. faeriechuu

faeriechuu New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all! I'm 20F and thinking of starting minoxidil today, and will be posting updates every 2 weeks (i know it's a short interval but I think it'll make feel that time is moving faster?)

my Androgenetic Alopecia is pretty advanced for 20 y/o, I've been using hair pieces to make my hair appear thicker. I'll post my baseline pics ASAP, I have hair fibers in my hair right now so it wouldn't be too accurate. Please feel free to ask questions or just comment, it'll make me feel less lonely in this scary scary journey hahaha :')

2. LindaLou

LindaLou New Member

Dislikes Received:
    So sorry Sarah, you're experiencing hair loss in your 20's. Think that is even more devastating than losing hair later in life. Am in my late 60's, and starting hair loss after my pregnancies in 20's. Then later, hair loss after bouts of stress. About two years ago, diagnosed with Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia. Went in for annual derm appointment and doctor asked what was I doing for my receding scalp! Just thought it was normal post-menopausal hair loss added to the mix. Explained already used minoxidil, but apparently post-menopausal women can experience inflammation of the frontal area. He was right, as hairline was kind of shiny. That's FFA, and is treated with a steriod solution, which I don't use as 'roids' bother me. So have tried other things.

My regimen right now: Minoxidil 3x a week. But for you, think the 2x a day, as that was used in their clinical trials (btw, was a CS Rogaine supervisor, so am very familiar with minoxidil) One thing that has helped is hair brushing. Was afraid to brush my hair, as seeing more hair in your brush can be quite alarming. (Tip: You may experience MORE hair loss first 1-2 months after starting with minoxidil. Normal, just read literature that comes with packaging as to the whys) Recently, have had some good results with a LED facial Device: Silk'n FaceFX 360 Anti-Aging. I run it along my hairline and part, 3x a week for only five minutes, but it is really helping! Am noticing more hair growing back. Now that may work for you as well. There are many Red Light LED devices on Amazon. I just happened to pick this one a few years ago off Macy's webstie. It also helps with ring lines around my collarbone area. Very soothing to use, and has become part of bedtime routine. Going to try to use nightly.

Oh yes, Don't use minoxidil before bed or you may begin growing facial hair. We all have vellus or baby hairs on face, that can respond to the minoxidil. The product gets on your pillow, and of course, on your face. At rx company, we would have women calling up complaining about their facial hair! Therefore, use in the morning, and then again before or after dinner; that should be enough time so you don't transfer product onto your pillowcase. And don't use more than recommended amount. Not necessary. Also, reason 5% had not been recommended by company for women years ago was that the pharma didn't want to spend money on clinical trials, as very, very costly. So derms knew that and were recommending women use the 5% anyway. It was all about clincal trials, which MD's understood.

Another thing. Sometime women think they shouldn't wash their hair that often, and many are now relying on dry shampoos. IMHO, believe that is a big mistake. A clean scalp is a heathly scalp! Especially if you're using minoxidil. Wash off the old, and put on the new solution. If not shampooing daily, try at least every other day. Have also made my own concotions of Rosemary Oil, Tree Tea Oil, and even Peppermint oil. Look up 'hair loss and oils', and you'll get many anecdotal reports. I also massage the minoxidil into my scalp for a couple of minutes each time I use.

I try to brush my hair at least 50 strokes in the AM and then again 50-100 prior to bed. In AM brush hair, then use minoxidil. May be a little tingly, but means product getting into the scalp. Of course, any irritation, back off for a couple of days. I use LED device after having brushed hair in the PM. Hope this helps. Wish you all the best Sarah!

3. Delaine

Delaine New Member

Dislikes Received:
    faeriechuu

I am also so sorry you are having to deal with this especially in your 20's. I am in my late 60's and I still find hair loss very depressing. I just wanted to confirm whether you are using oral minoxidil or a topical such as Rogaine.

I was diagnosed with chronic telogen effluvium. I am sure I also have some Androgenic Alopecia too because of my age. I have diffused hair loss but mostly my hairline was starting to disappear. I decided to start Rogaine in July and I have noticed a huge difference. I only use it along my hairline and a very small amount on the back crown. I started to notice some very small hairs growing within two weeks. I did start out very slowly only applying it to a small area for 6 weeks to see how I would react. The new growth has given me confidence so I am no longer stressing 24/7 over my hair loss. That in turn has helped with my telogen effluvium which was triggered by stress. I have noticed my overall hair is slightly thicker now I am not obsessing over it. II will never have thick hair but at the moment it is acceptable. I have stopped my search for the perfect wig for now.

I agree with LindaLou. Keeping the scalp clean and stimulated really helps. I also read a study on using shampoo with Zinc Pyrithione. According to this study it helps with hair loss. They were even comparing it to Minoxidil. If you are interested I could try and find it. I did switch over to a shampoo containing Zinc Pyrithione but also use a more moisturizing shampoo on the ends. I was afraid it would dry out my hair. It seems to help.

I use Rogaine 5% foam for women and because I am using so little I do apply it about an hour before bed. The foam dries so quickly. I do throw a new pillow case over my pillow every other night and flip it so I always have a clean pillow case. I wash my hair every other morning and rinse it with water on the in between days. I like to rinse off the Rogaine from the night before so it doesn't cause irritation.

I am looking forward to following your journey. Please keep us up to date on any side effects or experiences you have. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

4. faeriechuu

faeriechuu New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone! Thanks for all the advice :) I dont have time to write much but these are pictures from 6 weeks in!

Attached Files:

5. thinhair1

thinhair1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wonderful results faeriechuu!! Really a huge improvement in only 6 weeks. What strength of minoxidil and how often, if you don't mind me asking? Is it brand name or generic? foam or liquid?
    So happy for your wonderful results. Gives me hope for my daughter's hair. My own hair is a lost cause :)

6. faeriechuu

faeriechuu New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you! I'm actually 10 weeks in now and it has continued improving although not as dramatically haha!

I reduced my dosage of 5% rogaine minoxidil foam from 2x to 1x a day now, and I also use a dermapen (no specific brand, I got a random cheap one online) once a week :D

7. thinhair1

thinhair1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks faeriechuu. If you're willing to continue to post some photos I would be so grateful. It really is one of the only things that helps the rest of us hold onto some hope that there are effective treatments. The photos are priceless! So happy for you!