Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

saw palmetto ~ 2 months

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlosshelp, Oct 17, 2015.

1. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been taking saw palmetto 1000mg time release caplets for around 2 months now. I didn't have very high expectations, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Negative
    - no changes in shed or SD.

Positive
    - I do feel like it's helped with scalp pain significantly. I wrote a ~7 hr exam about a month ago and my greatest fear at the time was the intense bouts of scalp pain I'd get, so I was very aware about when these showed up and it seems like since SP I haven't dealt with it. There was however, this one time when I forgot to take it because I woke up very late and I had scalp pain which subsided after I took it. Not sure what's really going on here because I still have bumps and redness all over my scalp, but in terms of the actual pain this has helped a lot.
    - Something else I notice is that I'm not really losing many short hairs anymore. However I'm still losing some that could easily have gone on to be really long hairs because they have the same diameter as the healthy long ones. Crossing my fingers that it stops soon as well.
    - While I still have acne, no new cysts have popped up and this is the best my skin has looked in a really long time. What's interesting is that I never even thought about SP use to treat acne, but it does have quiet decent reviews on acne.org http://www.acne.org/saw-palmetto-reviews-973/ But it's only 30 reviews, so that's something to keep in mind.

This might also be unrelated to SP, but I've noticed that in comparison to Jan/Feb which was when my hair was completely terrible, my part has tightened and some hairs are coming back on my crown. I also was shedding a lot of my eyelashes at the time, which is another thing that sucked because I normally have very thick, long lashes but it seems like they've been restored back to their former glory. Now if my hair just followed suit!

So overall: I can't exactly confirm if this has significantly helped anything, but things are looking good and anything hormone related does take time to really exert its effects. I'm going to go on stronger things later on, I've just been trying to get my weight down properly first to avoid any heart complications on those meds. I will be sticking to SP though since I bought 160 caplets which should last me up to the end of the year. Hopefully I'll be able to bring in stronger reviews that I'm more confident about, but for anyone on the fence about adding this, I recommend it!

2. lost_angel

lost_angel New Member

Dislikes Received:
    side effects?

hello beautiful,
    ive been debating wether to take saw palmetto for Androgenetic Alopecia for so long but ive been reluctant too as ive heard so many horror stories about this herb 'destroying their life'.

Im curious as to wether youre still taking the herb and if u have any side effects. Any updates on hairloss while taking SP?

I dont know wether to take the risk. At this point i feel like ill be bald next month :(

3. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi! Unfortunately I don't have much in terms of hair loss updates. I continue to take the Saw Palmetto, but I recommend using it as an adjunct treatment. I wasn't expecting something significant with it but I do think it's good to include if you have limited options. I don't have any side effects and it still helps with scalp pain. I don't think there's much/if any risk associated with it for females.