Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

scalp disorder / chronic TE

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by rwchdr, Oct 2, 2015.

1. rwchdr

rwchdr Member

Dislikes Received:
    hi,
    i have written here a few times and tried to remain as optimistic as possible, but I'm at my wits end now...
    so, as it seems i'm suffering from chronic telogen effluvium, shedding ~100 hairs a day compared to the usual 10-20 and lost around half of my hair since january.
    I managed to get my ferritin up in spring-summer, hair loss decreased a bit in two months or so. but that was it, still a lot falling out. also started taking thyroid medicine in June. no effect on hair loss, but it corrected my hormone issues (brought my testosterone and cortisol down).
    my hair loss started with unbearable itching and burning at the crown area. this was preceded by my first real dye job in the middle of december - before that my stylist only used demi-permanent dye on my hair. I remember getting an adverse reaction with heavy flaking, itching and general discomfort of the scalp. Two weeks later I tried henna, but it was too messy so I went to my stylist again in January to dye my roots with some special ammonia free product with argan oil. I had no bad reactions whatsoever during application. Ever since my hair has been colored with that (have to color because of hereditary premature greying - i'm 25).
    Despite the lack of acute sensitivity reaction, my scalp has been TRUE HELL. My derm says seb derm. I had severe oiliness so I was put on low dose accutane (10 mg/day) three weeks ago. (I don't understand this greasiness because apparently my testosterone was corrected by taking the thyroid pills.) The accutane helps in reducing the oils a great deal, but the itching, burning, inflammation, sebum plugs and bad odor are still there. I don't know what to do anymore. Nothing seems to cure this scalp disorder of mine, meaning I'm possibly going bald slowly and surely. I don't see how something else would be at play since otherwise I feel quite great. Even my PMS symptoms have decreased in the last few months.
    Do I have some kind of scalp infection? Or allergy?
    My derm is really not helpful, the steroids he gave me only made it worse. Same with Nizoral and sulphur shampoo. Okay, any shampoo, to be honest... SLS free ones too.
    I'm freaking out, I had such beautiful hip length hair around last november-december. Okay, the hair itself is still beautiful and is not prone to breakage anymore since getting my ferritin up, but, there's barely any left of it :(
    maybe i'll post pictures later.
    please help! could you recommend something against constant scalp irritation?

thanks
    rwchdr

2. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I can relate to the scalp problem. My derm also said seb. dermatitis/eczema, but the topical steroids and Nizoral made it way worse.
    I also tried every shampoo there is.

I now found a shampoo that really calmed down my scalp inflammation (but still losing too much hair). It is from Vichy, it is a new shampoo sulfate free, paraben free, and silicon free. I didn't expect much from it, but it is the best one I ever tried. Maybe you can try it out...

good luck

3. rwchdr

rwchdr Member

Dislikes Received:
    thank you! which product is it exactly?

4. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:

It is called dercos dermo apaisant from Vichy.

5. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the exact same boat. Please share if you find anything that helps :( My seb term is insane!

6. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying a stemoxydine growth stimulant from the Vichy Dercos line, in case anyone is interested. I'll update with my experience when I've been on it for a while.

7. rwchdr

rwchdr Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips!
    I was recommended a product called Sentiree, it's some kind of herbal solution and it seems to have great reviews in my country. I want to order it but it's too expensive right now for me, as I'm only a broke university student :)
    Also, I have other news. Do you always dry your scalp thoroughly with a hair dryer? I developed this habit last year when I stopped using it due to fear of damage. Well, the last few days I started drying my scalp (not the ends) again, and it helps tremendously with my symptoms.

8. Kelly7

Kelly7 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was just thinking to myself five minutes ago, that when I used a hairdryer on my scalp twice in the past month, I had less shedding the next day or two. I never usually use a hairdryer but as I didn't want to go to bed with wet hair, I dried my scalp. I will try it again tonight because I prefer to lose 150 hairs rather than 300!