Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Scared Poopless by Alopecia Areata

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by amy32, Jan 19, 2011.

1. amy32

amy32 Guest

Hi Everyone,
    I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was devastated. The hair loss started a year ago, but it wasn't very bad...just a small coin sized baldness. Now I have a whole band of hair missing near my neck in the back. I have also lost a lot of hair on the left side of my scalp, but I did not take a picture of that to keep my face anonymous. I have posted here a link to two pictures of my Alopecia Areata.
    [attachment=0:6uuojvhp]amyAA1.jpg[/attachment:6uuojvhp]
    [attachment=1:6uuojvhp]amyAA.jpg[/attachment:6uuojvhp]
    The pictures may be a little blurry. I got injections 2 weeks ago (wasn't much painful at all for you gals out there that are kinda scared..the needle is really really REALLY small...waaaayyyyyy smaller than the amniocentesis needle i had plunged into me 5 years ago). I am very anxious to see results. I go back next week for more injections. My shedding has increased, and it disheartens me. I'm glad I found this site to have some sympathy. By the way my name is Amy. :)

Attached Files:

2. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi amy,

I'm sorry to hear you have been newly diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. The early days are scary and uncertain when you don't know how bad it will get or when it will stop.

I hope it is some measure of comfort to you to know that you're not alone. All of us here understand all the feelings associated with hairloss .

My own loss is also from Alopecia Areata which I've had on and off almost my entire life. I was very fortunate to experience regrowth numerous times after bouts of Alopecia Areata with the exception of the last bout that started in my 40's.

I tell all newbies to Alopecia Areata that Alopecia Areata and hope can go hand in hand because even in worse case scenarios the hair follicles are always able to regrow hair if the Alopecia Areata goes into spontaneous remission.

The cortisone injections generally work very well at jumpstarting regrowth in the bald areas in hope that the immune system will settle down and the hair can continue to grow.

Alopecia Areata is very unpredictable. Some people lose just a few patches of hair, then the hair regrows, and the condition never recurs. Other people continue to lose and regrow hair for many years as happened with me.

The loss of control one has over Alopecia Areata is very frustrating and one of the hardest things to accept. It hard to take it a day at a time but trying to project ahead adds even more stress to an already stressful situation.

I'm be glad to help you with any questions on concerns you may have. There are a number of us on these boards who have a hairloss diagnosis of Alopecia Areata. We totally understand how you feel at this time.

Hugs,
    Joann

3. amy32

amy32 Guest

Hi Joann,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I also appreciate you sharing your story. I am scared and definitely feel uncertainty. I divorced a few years ago. I was a basket case for awhile. Then 7 months ago, I started dating again. I was so happy that I met this great guy. We've been together 6 months now. I'm so worried that he will leave me if and when I lose all my hair. I've been waking up in a panic and checking the pillow for hairs (and yes, there's hair on my pillow :(
    I just finished showering not that long ago. There was so much hair in the drain. When I blew dry my hair, more fell out. Now I'm in tears. Anyway. I'll be visiting this site often. Joann, thanks again.
    amy

4. Angel92

Angel92 Guest

Hi Amy, it said your scared, I'm soo scared to, iv have it for 6months now, I almost feel like its a waiting game, do you feel that? Seeing whether its going to all fall out or grow back or what part of your body its going to affect next! I'm so scared of what's going to happen to me!, I see you have had the injections, I really want to try something, how have they helped you so far? Thankyou :)

5. AAat39?

AAat39? Guest

Amy, I am writing because back in 2009 summer my hair pics looked a lot like yours, with the loss of nape, large spots on top and diffuse shedding mostly on the left side of my head... It all grew back slowly, and then spring 2010 I got another spot and now all is going well. I just wanted to tell you my story and that the injections at this point in my life worked as long as I was diligent about keeping my appointments. Seemed about 3 did the trick. That means on the last spot I got, it took a third appointment before the injection started to show it was working. White fuzzy hairs. The hair grew back different at first but later returned to what I remember. This board and everyone's comments have been the most helpful support system for me as I went through the different stages of learning, understanding and acceptance. Hope this helps you.

6. freakyfriday

freakyfriday Guest

Hi Amy,

patience, I guess... is all I can recommend:)