Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

School and Alopecia

Discussion in 'Teens and Twenties Alopecians' started by blackeyedsusan, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Hi :) I'm new to the forum.
    I'm in high school, and I sometimes wear hats and bandannas to school because I play softball afterschool, which requires some taking on and off helmets, which is not good for the wig!
    Anyway, people have been asking me recently why I wear head coverings, and I really have no idea how to respond.
    I don't want to tell them I have alopecia, because mostly these people are just random classmates and not friends, but then I feel like saying "I dunno" and changing the subject will only make them more curious.
    Once a teacher even asked me in front of the class, even though he knew I had a hat pass! This made me so uncomfortable, and I didn't know what to say.
    I confronted him about it later and he said he was "just trying to make conversation". Am I right to be a little upset that he did that or am I taking it too seriously?
    On one hand, I feel like if I just told everyone who asked, and it wasn't a big secret anymore, they would stop bothering me, but I'm not sure I really want to tell people, because I'm afraid they won't accept me or will bully me about it/pull my hats off.

So, if you've had any experience with this or have any advice as to how I can deal with this, I would appreciate it a lot! Thanks :)

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I made up some story when I started wearing a topper but in retrospect wish I had been more upfront and said something like "I have a genetic condition which hasn't been kind to my hair and sometimes you have to help Mother Nature out a bit." Of course there's always "why do you ask?" Or "why do you need to know?"

3. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi and welcome!

I use to wear scarves to school as well, I know the questioning can get very uncomfortable especially from teachers! When I got questioned by a part time teacher I went to the Principle and requested that all members of staff were informed of my condition so I would not have to give an explanation in front of classmates. I was relieved it never happened again!

I do agree with Lily you don't have to give an explanation I think her replies are great! Mostly I would say I had a skin condition that affected my scalp and left it at that, if anyone pushed the issue and there was always a few, I would reply its personal I don't wish to discuss it and would walk away. These days I am more open but appreciate that is not always easy at school.

Think its great you are still doing all your sports :)
    sarax

4. tarazump

tarazump Guest

Similar problems

I'm on my mom account currently I'm actually 14. I've had alopecia for 2 years and over the last school summer vacation I lost all my hair and had to get a wig fast. Before I did I went to a bonfire with a baseball cap on and the little bit of hair I had left. When I got the wig for school again I made up a lie I had extensions and died my hair and shockingly enough it worked. rumors eventually died down and before my parents told the school about my situation which was very helpful. I also play sports I used to play soccer, volleyball, basketball, and lacrosse now I'm very committed to lacrosse and I also play volleyball and in the summer row crew. Later in the school year I got a much nicer wig and said that I undies my hair and again it worked great I had to adjust very fast. When soccer season came I chose not to play so I sat that season out. When volleyball came along I chose to tell the team about my situation. This was a great decision and makes it feel like you can tell anyone. It was very hard but believe it or not everyone on the team took it very well. Nothing changed my friends were still the same and also I made some new friends who I didn't think would be the supportive type of people but they were great Nd now we are great friends. For sports I play with the old wig and a bunch of people know so the questions gets eliminated. It helps a ton if you tell teachers and close peers. I haven't regretted that decision and know it was a good idea because now if a weird question pops up or someone questions my friends the answer is easy and it's she has alopecia and that's how it is it's not a big deal unless you make it one!:D

5. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Good for you tarazump!

6. kitkat09

kitkat09 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    In high school I just wore a hat and wasn't asked much (not even by the teachers, probably because of the nurse?). I didn't wear a wig until my senior year. I never had my diagnosis until i was in college. I would just ignore the conversation or tell them to drop it if they kept pestering me about it; or just tell them it's none of their concern.

7. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Could you say you had a bad reaction to color and you are letting it grow out? Sorry you are suffering so young and in high school! Once finished you wont even be speaking or seeing these kids again, trust me! XO