Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

SD - still unchanged.

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by viinca, Jun 8, 2016.

1. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    So I've been speaking to another woman who was diagnosed with SD over 6 years ago. She explained to me that her situation is unchanged and her hair loss is still the same as well.

It made me very upset to hear her story and lack of improvement. I too have been struggling with SD and subsequent hair loss since January and I am falling into a very sad and gloomy spiral because of it. Nothing seems to work and I wake up every day with the same greasy hair and consistent hair loss. My scalp is itchy and feels inflamed, I just wish I could forget about it.

How is everyone else's SD doing?

2. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried Apple cider vinegar with water? It relieved my SD for awhile.

3. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    I tend to pour it over my scalp after I shampoo and then rinse it off. It doesnt seem to change much of my condition unfortunately :/ hope your hair is still growing out Wolf

4. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am also into my 5th hair loss year, and I (and my derm) believe that the combination of SD and low ferritin are the causes. I raised my ferritin from 7 to 83 in one year time, and my hair loss did slow down a bit (but not enough for a recovery). I found that when I was on holiday at places with soft water that my SD was almost completely cured. Still a water softener is very expensinve, but I am going to safe the money to buy one. Do you have hard water where you live?

5. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Fleur1979 My husband and I had a water softener installed at our house. I have SD and have noticed no difference in my hairloss or the SD since we had it installed and it's been almost a year since we've had it :(

6. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ooow that is sad to read... sorry it didn't work.....

7. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I really had high hopes to :(

8. kitty_kates

kitty_kates Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going on 5ish years with diagnosed SD as well. Where i live, the water is very very soft. So i dont think that's a factor.

I've tried just about everything, because lets face it - SD is a life long condition, and it adapts to treatments.

My hairloss ranges from severe to non- existent, depending on how well i manage it. Unfortunately, sometimes nothing seems to work.

I try to alternate between 2 shampoos (and i wash my hair Every. Damn. Day.) One will work for a while, but when the itching and hairloss picks up again, it usually means its time to move on to another product.

In the beginning, Tgel was super effective for about 2 years. My hair stunk like a tar pit, but at least it was healthy and strong! These days it seems to go best with alternating Regenepure DR (ketoconazole ), Redken Scalp Relief anti dandruff (Zinc), and Tsal. Tsal seems to manage the itchies the best.

I also spot treat itchy patches overnight with a thrush cream that has miconazole and cortisone in it. On top of that, i have a prescription for 10% salicylic acid cream to break down any thick patches of buildup.

I had one really severe flare up around this time last year (winter in australia). I'm talking huge areas covered in really thick scabs that took chunks of hair when they came loose. What saved me was a little bottle i had bought in the US called Cortaid. Its a spray-on cortisone. Not as extreme as Steroid topicals (and less likely to cause a withdrawal flare). Its also super easy to use.

Basically its knowing what to avoid (no oils on your scalp ever!!) and keeping an eye on how your skin is responding. I have literally a cupboard full of medicated shampoos that didnt work or stopped working. i feel like its worth it though, if it means finding something that does help.

This is getting really long, but there are some positives here.
    Once you find a regimen that works, the hair WILL grow back. It isnt permanent. Also summer is the best season for SD sufferers. The sunshine is great at killing yeast.

9. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Im so glad you said it isnt permanent... The hair does grow back? The one thing I cannot stand from this SD is the hair loss... I can live with the itchiness etc but the hair loss is unbearable. When did you notice your hair growing back? What is a stable condition for you, is it when your scalp has 0 symptoms or just feels not as worse as usual?

I dont have patches of scales or a severe case, my SD is hardly visible. My scalp just feels oily/itchy sometimes and the back of my head has a waxy buildup.

10. kitty_kates

kitty_kates Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair grows back constantly. About 1/2 my hair is 6inches, whereas my bob should be about 12 inches. I also have a lot of shorter hairs.

It sucks, but at least it means i have good scalp coverage, even if the ends are thin.

I gage my SD on the hair shedding. It isnt always itchy, very rarely greasy, and it doesnt flake much unless i scratch areas where i can see buildup.

SD can be active without a lot of the typical symptoms, which is why im always treating it.

I wish SO BAD there was a silver bullet for this rubbish. :(
    In the meantime, i guess we have to keep trying.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding that its not just anecdotal that the hair grows back.

I have a dermatologist, and he explained that the inflammation causes temporary hair shedding. once the inflammation is controlled, the shedding will stop.

SD hairloss isnt the same as TE. Inflammation doesnt cause a 3 months delay like severe stress or illness. Its fairly instantaneous, and it responds as quickly.

11. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean inflammation however? Isnt the inflammation constant and therefore the hair shed continuous? Ive also noticed the ends of my hair are very thin, and the density overall is muuuuch less thicker than it used to be, but Im hopeful it will grow back slowly... :/

Do you have any advice on what to do?

12. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Kitty_Kates I just got some 10% salicylic acid but mine is mixed in olive oil (which i have always found soothing to my scalp) what is yours mixed in?

- - - Updated - - -

Im also going on 5 years of this. I get regrowth when a area is clear. Seems like when I color my hair it clears up as well. But I have been trying this and that for the past 5 years and still have it. So tired of this lifestyle!

13. kitty_kates

kitty_kates Member

Dislikes Received:
    Viinca, Its been shown that SD sufferers are hypersensitive to Oleic acid - a constituent of many oils, and also a metabolic byproduct of malassezia yeast. Inflammation can be induced in SD sufferers when yeast is as very low levels, by applying an oil high in oleic acid (such as jojoba).

Inflammation is basically the reaction of your skin to percieved irritants, and it involves a lot of signalling proteins and cell activation. I dont know why it causes hair shedding, but perhaps the follicles abandon the hair growth in favour of redirecting energy to healing the percieved injury.

Reducing inflammation involves keeping oleic acid off your scalp; by choosing the correct products, keeping yeast levels low, and applying / using anti-inflammatories when necessary. Steroid lotion is a powerful anti inflammatory, however your skin will become reliant on it, and usually symptoms return worse than before if steroids are used too frequently. This is what caused my worst flare-up, and why i only use mild cortisone if i get itchy.

If you're having a really bad day, antihistamines like hay-fever meds or paracetamol / ibuprofen can also help, as theyre a systemic anti-inflammatory.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding, my salicylic solution is in 'aqueous cream'. It was mixed by the pharmacist, so im not sure what the constituents of the cream are.

14. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much, for the first time in six months I have a definite answer of what has been happening to me.

I am fed up of breaking down when I see old pictures of my hair, only last year was it immaculately thick and healthy.

Do you recommend any non-oleic shampoos I can use? Would lifestyle changes help?

Thanks again for your help :) praying my hair grows back soon and that yours is sill growing healthy

15. kitty_kates

kitty_kates Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Viincia, oils are mostly present in 'all natural' shampoos, so i find that my scalp is happiest with simple chemically formulated shampoo. I read all the ingredients before i buy something, and make sure it has no jojoba, sweet almond, castor or coconut oils. i also stay away from essential oils because they also tend to irritate my scalp!!

Its trial and error, but i really like T Sal and Redken Scalp Relief anti dandruff.