Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Second minoxidil Dread Shed?! What Is A Girl To Do?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by reena, May 21, 2018.

1. reena

reena New Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's been at least 2 month now of increased shedding.

I responded well to rogaine up until this started again! grrrrr! I wash twice a week, and there were times I was losing under 20 hairs in the shower. I know this is kind of unprecedented and wayyy under the norm for typical daily hairloss, but heck, I was ok with it and I figured my hair had a lot of catching up to do after 14 months of telogen effluvium. Two months ago I noticed more daily shedding, then gradually more hair in the shower. I do have tons of new hairs that are kinky and dark shooting out of my head. I look so fizzy, and the longer strands are just more and more sparse looking. I use 5% rogaine foam once a day. I also take 150 mg spironolactone. Most of the hairs I am losing are long and thick, and the same thickness throughout or thicker at the bulb end, but I also lose a variety of smaller hairs and healthy looking hairs that only grew out 5 inches. I don't know what to do. The first dread shed 3 weeks into minoxidil was very bad, this isn't AS bad, but it's not good either. I should upload some picks of the progression on my shower sheds. How long should I stay on rogaine if TE is back to stay? Thanks <3

2. Simona1986

Simona1986 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same problem. The second dread shed has almost 3 months. I don't know what to think. Are a lot of persons which had a second shed after 6 months or 1 year. How much hair you shed? I shed a lot in the washing day (200 - 250 ) with blow dry and combing. I am lost :(

3. reena

reena New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm up to nearly 200 now pre shower combing, shampoo and wash, and then post shower styling. I actually save those hairs in shower (the bulk is lost while washing), and roll them into balls. I have some in a baggy from before the rogaine, then I have one from a month of reduced shedding after the rogaine. Sounds neurotic, but I just put them in a drawer because that's the only empirical evidence i have to show a dermatologist (not that they seem to care much :/ ). I'm not sure how bad this will get. It is so interesting how I had marked results and now back to an effluvium.

4. Simona1986

Simona1986 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    And in the non washing days? This it's weird. I shed only 20-25 hairs... i stick with rogaine for the moment. I don't know what to do and if it's a shed for the moment or... are almost 3 months.

5. reena

reena New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely shed more than more than 20-25. I might only shed around that if I only brushed my hair twice a day and didn't touch or finger comb my hair at all. If I were to tug individual strands, it seems like every other hair comes out in telogen phase.

6. Jan

Jan Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was down to almost nothing for 8 months on rogaine, but I'm getting to around 100 per day the last 6 to 8 wks, since June. I'm so discouraged. Yesterday it was about 35 and you'd think I had won the lottery. Summer shed, second shed(really my first since starting) .

How many are people losing for dread shed? I'm about 100 today, yikes!! I'm freaking out. Help

#6 Jan, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  7. Jan

Jan Member

Dislikes Received:
    Any updates, i'm still experiencing my first shed after a great 8mos.. been over 2 mos now, hoping it stops!! I'm at 75 today with washing. I wash daily, the day i skipped wasn't any better, and it felt awful all day.