Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

See your hair shedding?

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Carmen, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was talking with my mother over the weekend about my Alopecia Areata returning. She asked what made me look for a patch, if I had seen hair on my pillow or anything. I told her I put my hair in a bun on Wednesday, looked at the back through a mirror and everything was fine, but when I did the same thing the next day, I saw a patch of hair missing. It was just gone - no extra hair in my brush, not patch of hair on my pillow, nothing on the bathroom floor. I had the same experience last time my hair fell out too. Just wondering if you ladies have had that experience or if you actually see your hair shedding.

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have Alopecia Areata but I could run my fingers through my hair with a light grasp and pull out way too much hair.

3. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh wow! I'm always scared to interact with the hair around my patches for that reason. Also, the past couple of days, I've been having the burning pain that have made it really uncomfortable to lay on the side of my head that has the patch, do any sort of styling to my hair and even pull shirts over my head :( What type of alopecia do you have?

4. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Classic hormonal Androgenetic Alopecia, started in perimenopause.

- - - Updated - - -

Classic hormonal Androgenetic Alopecia, started in perimenopause.

5. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen women with Androgenetic Alopecia, but didn't know what it was called until I came to these forums. I'm thankful to be learning so much already. Have any treatments worked for you?

6. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm much older (69) and feel doomed by my body's reactions over the years to my hormone status. I tried everything out there, some success but not enough to keep me from "wearing hair." I have worn a topper for almost 10 years.

7. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hormones and the body in general are such mysteries. I've been up in the air on if it's worth seeing an endochronologist. I know my hair loss always happens during high stress times, but I'm just not sure if alopecia is only triggered by one thing (i.e. hormones OR stress OR vitamin deficiencies) or if it can be a combination of triggers. Overall, it wouldn't hurt to see if I'm deficient in anything, but with everything else going on in my life right now, I want to add as little to my plate as possible.

8. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:

If you haven't been tested for vitamin and mineral deficiencies I think it would be worth it. Low Vit. D can cause autoimmune issues to flare according to my rheumatologist. Get your ferritin levels checked too.

9. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much, that's something I've heard too. I upped my Vitamin D intake two weeks ago just to be on the safe side. I think it's worth getting tested to see if I am deficient or if anything else is going on. I'll do it soon, right now I'm focused on treating the alopecia; it's been so difficult trying to get an appointment with a dermatologist :-( I finally got one for tomorrow morning, so next I'll look for a good endochronologist.