Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Seeking Advice On Hair Replacements - Subtle Tape Extensions, Toppers, Wigs...

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by psoub, Sep 25, 2018.

1. psoub

psoub New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Beautiful Ladies!
    I have androgenetic alopecia and I would like to try new things - new solutions, feel feminine, be creative.
    You are the ONLY one who can advise me and who I would listen to.

SO, has any of you tried "invisible tape extensions" ? Y/N ? DOs DONTs ? Reco? Experiences ?
    I mean, I know it's bad ... but what could be worse ?????? My hair is thinning and I want to tape my baby-ish hair to even out my lengths. Just a little.... What do you think ????

If you think that the tape extensions are horrible, what are your hair solutions then?

Thanks for your POVs :rolleyes:;):cool:

2. alomom

alomom New Member

Dislikes Received:

3. alomom

alomom New Member

Dislikes Received:
    A good quality monofilament topper that compliments your existing hair is best. Many women live toppers. I would be glad to share specific details if you would like.

4. psoub

psoub New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi! Yes, please share the brands you like/recommend. Are you in the US ? Is it only thin european hair?
    How do you live with it ? Do you keep it night ? Do you keep it when you exercise and sweat a lot ?
    I would love more details - that would help me understand I can do it ! Thanks!! :rolleyes:

5. alomom

alomom New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Toppers can come in all types of hair and color. Yes I live in the US and have a name of a women called Chris for Hair in Northern California. She would Skype with you and design a piece that fits your needs. These toppers if created directly are so light you do not even know they are on your head. Yes. they have clips in them to stay on your head. She has a nice website and her number is 925 245 0194. She is honest and straight forward. If you want to see a website to give you ideas of toppers go to "top secret haircessory" They are in California also but a bit more pricey. Toppers come in different lengths and densities and can be a life saver for those not ready to transition to wigs. Call or write me anytime. Here to help. PS It is my daughter that has Alopecia Universalis and that is why I got into this area of helping others.

6. AmandaB

AmandaB New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just this year I have bit the bullet and began wearing hair toppers. With the advice of my hair stylist, I ordered a tape-in hair topper from hot heads extensions called the wonderfill. I do NOT recommend this topper. It was very full and added a lot of hair, which made the change extremely noticeable. More importantly, it is gaged to be semi-permanent lasting 4-6 weeks before removing and retaping in. I couldnt wash my hair everyday, or else the tapes seemed to dissolve. You also cant use any products with alcohol when using tape in extensions.... fyi: every single product has some sort of alcohol in it! My piece never lasted in my hairhfor more than 2 weeks and it hurt. It hurt when I laid down and it pulled severely at my hair. At one point it actually ripped out a lot of my hair. Talk about painful and emotional!
    My 2nd hair piece is also from the hot heads brand, but is a clip-in. It is AMAZING. It's so lightweight, comfortable and beautiful. I can wear it up, down, curled, straight. I paid $475 for this piece. My salon is a carrier of hot heads extensions and the brand specializes in numerous pieces for hair loss and tape in extensions.
    I love that I can take this piece in and out and honestly, I forget that I even have it in. I also love that I can wash my hair everyday, but only have to wash the piece once every 2-3 weeks.

7. Iyyi

Iyyi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi! At first, I thought it was only alopecia areata but now it went to alopecia universalis. I am so depressed. How old is your daughter and how long ago since since she was diagnosed? Does her hair back now? Thank you.

8. alomom

alomom New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am sorry I did not write back for such a long time. I check this website every few weeks. My daughter was 22 when she was diagnosed. She has had Alopecia Universalis for about 7 years now. Her hair has not really grown back but she is on Xeljanz and her eyebrows and lashes have come back for the most part. Her lashes were amazing before she developed Alopecia Areata. She is getting married in a few months and her future husband loves her for who she is and not the lack of hair. She does wear human hair wigs that I have designed and had produced. I took a trip to China 3 years ago to better understand the wig industry. I learned a lot and like to help those when possible so they do not make the mistakes we made early on. Feel free to contact me anytime. I am a phone support person for the NAAF organization. They are a great organization to stay up on what is going on with research for Alopecia Areata.

Phenix likes this.
  9. Iyyi

Iyyi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for responding. I was diagnosed with alopecia last October 2018 but the progression was so fast that I am only seeing some strands of hair in my scalp now and been a month that I noticed I am losing body hair too. I am still on that denial stage. Kept asking myself why things like this needs to happen. I am currently wearing a human hair wig but it’s just those cheap ones. I don’t know where to buy the best one.

10. Iyyi

Iyyi Member

Dislikes Received:
    My doctor is sending me to do undergo laboratory tests again before he put me on cyclosporine. But I don’t want to take any oral pills that could affect my organ, like my kidneys in the long run.

11. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    If anyone still reads this, DON'T go for tape extensions. I wore these for six or seven months and they looked amazing and were very comfortable and easy to look after, but they caused massive traction alopecia on the back and sides of my head. I have half the hair I started with after wearing those. Everything online will tell you they cause no damage but it's not true. Even the most lightweight and gentle extensions will pull out and rub off your hair, and the removal and reapplication process will do the same no matter how gently and carefully it's done.

If you have enough hair, wear a halo extension and hair fibres (halo extensions can be worn even with very little hair and cause no damage as they're supported by your head rather than attached to your hair). If you don't have enough hair, wear a topper. The clips can cause traction alopecia but this won't be as extensive as the traction alopecia caused by tape extensions, plus you don't have to wear the topper 24/7 so you can give your hair a break.

As far as hair fibres go, the best ones I've tried are:
    - batiste dry shampoo in beautiful brunette or divine dark (about £4, covers a surprising amount of hair loss and great for all over the head as it adds volume too)
    - mane spray (I think this is £12-£20, great for receding hairlines and comes in lots of colours)
    - makeup revolution root coverup powder (about £5 and great for the front hairline and parting)

As far as toppers go, there's a lot of reviews on Instagram and Youtube so you can see what they look like on an ordinary person rather than a model.

12. alomom

alomom New Member

Dislikes Received:

sunlit likes this.
  13. Iyyi

Iyyi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi! My current situation is that I don’t have anymore biological hair to tape or clip on any extensions. That’s why I am looking for wig. But I am having a hard time to look for that fits me.

sunlit likes this.
  14. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't worn a wig so I can't comment exactly, but I recommend looking on YouTube and Instagram for reviews of wigs. You'll find lots of women wearing/reviewing wigs on there and be able to message them and ask them what they think.

15. alomom

alomom New Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is my take on wigs. There are some really good synthetic wigs out there, my favorites are Noriko and Rachel Welsh. Now that being said, you need to confirm they are monofilament top, lace front and closed wefted or even better all hand tied wigs. All hand tied caps are lighter and breath nicely. Brand Name Wigs is a very good company to work with and they have a nice website and their customer service is really good. They match pricing of other websites and they are legit and very reliable. For a good human hair wig there is a gal I have worked with called "Chris for Hair" She lives in Northern California and has many manufacturers that she works with. She too has a good website and she will FaceTime with you to discuss your needs. Lets be honest, most all human hair wigs are constructed in China. It is not all that easy to work directly with these factories that is why it is good to find honest people to work with and do not mark up their wigs making them to expensive. To create the specifications for a custom wig takes a lot of time and much back and forth with the vendor to get it right. I am always happy to give advice and guidance so that when you go into a wig shop you are asking all the right questions. I have made so many mistakes that were costly, it is important for you to learn from MY mistakes. Regards to you all.

Iyyi likes this.