Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Selenium?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by justme, May 1, 2008.

1. justme

justme Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    (female) I’ve been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and have been taking Levothyroxin 75 mcg for about two years now. I just recently had lab work done, which indicated that my thyroid levels are low again, which means I will have to increase the amount of Levothyroxin I take daily. I have about 30 ongoing medical conditions, and I do take many medications along with this one. I asked my pharmacist about hair loss (as mine has been thinning and coming out for over a year now, but it’s really bad now though), which of my meds could be causing it, and what vitamin(s) I could take to combat it. He told me that my hypothyroidism was most likely the cause of my hair loss, and suggested I take( 200 mg of selenium everyday )to stop the problem. Is he correct? What kind of doctor would I need to see for this problem? What more can I do? Help me, PLEASE!! There is no pattern baldness in my family. I used to have a nice long full head of hair and now it’s so thin. I cry everytime I wash my hair because so much comes out at once. This problem is making my depression worse as well. Where can I go and what can I do? I’m on disability so I do not have a lot of funds to combat this problem so yet another issue with which to deal. HELP!!!!!
    Thank you so much for your help!
    Answer:
    (Hypothyroidism is a cause of hair loss and thinning. First you must get your thyroid problem regulated. Best to see a good medical doctor who feels that this problem falls without his/her expertise, possibly working with a dermatologist to follow your hair loss. An endocrinologist may be a good choice for a specialty.( You also asked about taking selenium — it should not be harmful and actually may help.)

What do you think has anyone tried Selenium?

Just wondering , Valentine :heart: :hmmm

(Off baldingblog)

2. Merry

Merry Guest

I know you can read about the current possible benefits of selenium, which might be true......(I know someone who takes it to combat cataracts) but be careful as it is well known that too much can cause your hair AND nails to fall out. So do not overdose on it. I'd go see a doctor first.