Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Several Diagnosis, Scarring Alopecia?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Jlo, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Jlo

Jlo New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone, I've been diagnosed first with Androgenetic Alopecia, then i went to a serious dermatologist that saw my scalp with a dermoscope and told me there were no signs of Androgenetic Alopecia and that he thought I have TE. He also saw some inflammation and redness but dismissed it telling it could have been normal also because I'm on the way of being diagnosed with lupus, so he thought it was normal to get some inflammation. I'm over obsessing it could be Lichen Planus, i told him my concerns and he insists he doesn't see scarring. He checked twice but honestly I feel no good at all. What do y'all think?

Attached Files:

2. Jlo

Jlo New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have no itching at all, never, even when i don't wash my hair. My scalp never itches but IT BURNS.

3. Delaine

Delaine New Member

Dislikes Received:
    When I first started to have hair loss 2 years ago I was also concerned about Lichen Planus and also Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia. I had a skin biopsy done at the back of my scalp and the results came back suggestive of chronic telogen effluvium. There was no indication of lymphocytic scarring alopecia. Although I have thinning all over it is thinner on the top. I think if they had taken a sample of the top of my scalp it would probably have shown some female pattern loss due to my age.

Is there any chance you could have a biopsy done to get a more definite diagnosis?

It is interesting that you are waiting for a diagnosis of Lupus. I have Sjogren's Syndrome which can share some of the same autoantibodies as Lupus such as SSA and SSB antibodies. Did your dermatologist suggest your hair loss could be due to Lupus? SSA antibodies can make you sensitive to sun and in my case the sun can trigger a flare which in turn seems to cause more hair loss. I do so much better in the winter.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. If it is due to Lupus and you can get the disease under control I have read your hair can regrow. I notice in my case I think I am going bald, start researching wigs and then my hair starts to look thicker. I have always had thin fine straight hair but now I have to constantly have the hairdresser change my cut to hide the thinning areas. It also takes so much longer to style. My hair loss has really changed my life. Due to Covid I have to stay home more and it is almost a relief not to have to socialize with friends and worry about them seeing my thinning areas.

I wish you luck on your journey. Please keep us posted.