Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Shampoo for oily, irritated scalp

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by ElPatoEllington, Dec 11, 2015.

1. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have a recommendation for what shampoo would work well on an oily, irritated scalp? I'm currently using 1% Nizoral and T-Gel daily (excessive, I know, but I'm super oily) but I know that's harsh and I'd like to balance it out with something that's gentler but still good for oily hair. I know Nizoral is the gold standard for things like seborrheic dermatitis (I also have dandruff- yay) and I do love it, but lately at night the area of my head that touches my pillow has been throbbing with pain and irritation. Also... guys I am SERIOUSLY oily. You could easily rub me on a skillet 12 hours after my shower and fry some chicken. Any other oily, irritated ladies out there with suggestions?

2. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you ever tried a tea tree oil shampoo? Giovanni and Trader Joe's both make really good ones, tea trea oil is antibacterial/anti fungal and it is good for oily hair.

3. Gigi

Gigi New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Krobertz likes this.
  4. Krobertz

Krobertz New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've used Nizoral before. It's just for short-term to take out the inflammation- works very well. I'd also used shampoo was prescribed just long enough that your scalp feels better. Then tried oil scalp massages and ACV rinses.

#4 Krobertz, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  5. Fros

Fros Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am exactly the same ! My hair/scalp is so oily that it is a struggle to not wash my hair every day (people keep telling me that it cause more hair loss when I wash it every day) and the roots of my hair/scalp(?) hurts so much some days it feels bruised ! I also have seasonal dandruff.

I have tried Nizoral But I feel like it makes my hair loss and everything else worse.

I have been using the crescina shampoo lately and it's been ok, my hair is still oily but not as much and the pain I mentioned is less.

6. Leelees

Leelees Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    If I can jump onto this thread, what conditioner do you all use? Thanks!

7. Simona1986

Simona1986 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    For me it's very good the shampoo from Dr Organic Tea Tree and sometimes i use Nioxin 4.
    Conditioner i use from L'oreal(for dry or damaged hair) Anyway i don't put the conditoner on the roots. It's important to find one good for your hair. Mine it's dry to the ends. And i like to use a serum for ends.

8. Marry1993

Marry1993 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using Tea Tree shampoo too (Benedictins products)

9. Mishmash6035

Mishmash6035 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly...Denorex. When I had TE, my scalp tingled and burned all the time. My scalp was also oily because I was losing so much hair. It was the only shampoo and conditioner that gave me relief. I still use it today 3 times a week.

10. Fros

Fros Member

Dislikes Received:
    I can't use a conditioner because my hair is so fine and oily that not matter how little i use my hair gets oily faster and I have to volume ... I use a Moroccan oil serum though which weirdly doesn't make my hair more oily but also leaves it smooth and makes it feel fuller.

11. Mishmash6035

Mishmash6035 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's 2-1 shampoo/conditioner. I totally understand. My hair grew back and till this day I can't use it. The extra hair that comes out really freaks me out.

12. jj5643

jj5643 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I started using a shampoo called Degrease by Maple Holistics. It is the best shampoo I have found to control my oily hair.