Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Shampoos?? What Do You Find Helpful

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Caitlin, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Caitlin

Caitlin New Member

Dislikes Received:
    So I am new to androgenic alopecia. I have been suffering from it for years but have only recently been diagnosed as I have only 40 percent of my bio hair left it is only getting worse and am determined to steer clear of as many chemicals as possible as I'm only 20. I was wondering what shampoos you all use or have found helpful in promoting healthy regrowth if at all possible. I am so lost as to what shampoo to be using to best care for and treat my scalp for Androgenetic Alopecia.

2. kats

kats New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello!

First of all, sorry for my English it´s not my native language.

There is a study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18498517
    that shows that ketoconazole and piroctone olamine may have some mild effect in stopping hair loss.

(maybe because of their antiandrogenic properties, maybe because they eliminate a seborrhoeic component of hairloss, I don´t know it
    but I´m pretty sure that no miracle shampoo can regrow hair in case of Androgenetic Alopecia. especially, an aggressive one).

I´m on 5% minoxidil foam once daily and I´ve been using 2% Nizoral (ketoconazole) shampoo for a while but I didn´t notice any difference, only that it dried my hair awfully.
    I still use piroctone olamine shampoos for seborrhoeic dermatitis though.

Also, I use pumpkin seed oil, mint tea and other "natural" things with potentially antiandrogenic effects but mostly to keep my conscience clean.
    I don´t really expect much from them.

Unfortunately, minoxidil is the only thing that can stimulate hair regrowth, in case you are responsive to it.

p.s. I´m talking about hereditary Androgenetic Alopecia, I know nothing about Androgenetic Alopecia caused by PCOS and other medical issues.

3. Lady_purple

Lady_purple New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Caitlin,
    I actually like Nioxin (system #2) - its gentle and the conditioner is really moisturizing. Smells minty and I like that.
    Whether or not any shampoo/conditioner systems work to regain hair seems unlikely, so using something gentle and moisturizing is what I go with.

4. vikimor

vikimor New Member

Dislikes Received: