Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Sharing Positivity! (non-rogaine Hair Growth)

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Delaney Graver, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Delaney Graver

Delaney Graver New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone,

I would like to share some good news and hopefully it can remind me to keep a positive attitude in the journey forward, as well as inspire others. :)

I was diagnosed with androgenic alopecia when I was 22. I was living in a foreign country, thousands of miles from home, and scared out of my mind. The diagnosis gave me loads of stress which definitely didn't help my hair. The dermatologist put me on rogaine for a month but then I decided I didn't want to continue treatment for the rest of my life. So I stopped rogaine, got a hair topper, and wore that for a few months before I bit the bullet and chopped all my hair off. I then bought myself a nice wig and embraced the look. It was a tough transition, but I felt more confident than I had in the past few years.

As far as treatments, I went to a doctor specializing in natural medicine. I took several tests and found I was sensitive to certain foods. I also found my diet was extremely low in protein, so over the past few months I've been avoiding certain foods, eating fresh and unprocessed meals, taking digestive supplements and piling on the protein. Its a slow process, Im sure my hair would've grown back quicker with rogaine, but this feels better in the long run. I also recently bought a personal infa-red light. Im very excited to see how light therapy may improve my hair as well. It says its a 6-month+ process, so I'll be sure to update if i see good results.

My hair is still very thin, and I still don't feel like my old self, but I try and keep a positive mindset. I think its important to avoid taking pictures on those bad hair days and keep your mind busy elsewhere. My wig has been my saving grace, I still wear it every day, and it gives me the confidence I need to face myself in the mirror.

I hope whoever reads this has a good (or better) hair day, and I hope we can all help each other move forward.

(left photo: july 2018 - right photo: july 2019)

Attached Files:

idk, DivyaJ and TinaM1968 like this.
  2. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Such an awesome and positive story especially for those of us who what no parts of medical treatments not rogaine. Your hair looks good!! Please do keep us posted . Inspiring !!!

3. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow... that's amazing and inspiring...thank you for posting the pictures...

4. Marsha

Marsha Member

Dislikes Received:
    What a beautiful message and words! After having my first bout with seb dermatitis, I was also diagnosed with androgenic alopecia. Now years later, hair grew back, but very thin, unlike my beautiful thick hair and I am now having another seb episode in a different area, and worse. I am taking meds for it and it helps. It does get easier to accept, ladies; time heals all wounds. Keep your head held high, grab all the peace and serenity u can, and find the way to get as much happiness as possible, whether it be a topper, wig, or whatever. Peace to all.

5. unefemme

unefemme Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! Such an inspiring post! Thank you for bringing light into lives!

6. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Delaney Graver thank you so much! We need more positivity here! You're hair looks greatly improved. I would be thrilled with such an improvement. I too have thought just recently that I am probably not eating a lot of protein seeing that I eat a plant based diet. Going to include some protein smoothies which I personally hate and see how that goes.

Thank you again for your post!