Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

shaving head for transplant

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by farha, Oct 11, 2007.

1. farha

farha Guest

i want to ask if it is necessary to get the head shaved for hair transplant or it can be done without shaving.

2. scraggy

scraggy Guest

Farha..

Iam not sure, my friend in canada had a transplant, but i am sure that they only shave where they are going to implant the hair....

Scraggy

3. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think they do. When I saw a doctor about a consult re hair transplant he said not to even think about it at this point because it would just damage the hairs I still have that are "barely hanging on." Sigh. I think people just go on after the transplant without having to cover up specially because of it. But I am not an expert on the subject at all!

4. angel706

angel706 Guest

Farha, the whole head does not have to be shaved, no. Some doctors will shave the donor strip that they remove from the back of the head, and also shave down the recipient area where the grafts are going. Other doctors will only shave the donor strip, but not the recipient area.

Are you considering having a hair transplant? Because if so, there is a lot of research you need to do, and your choice of doctor will be absolutely CRUCIAL to whether or not you have a good result. This is if you are even deemed a good candidate for the surgery.

Can I ask what type of loss you are experiencing? Is it diffuse loss all over the head? Or is it more in a male-type pattern (receding hairline and temples?)

I had a transplant in Feb. 2006. I can tell you it's not for everyone, and you have to be very realistic about your expectations. You will not gain any new hair from a transplant, you are just moving around the hair you already have.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions...

5. farha

farha Guest

dear angel ,

i had a hairloss 10 years ago and no more shedding now.but my main thinned out areas are crown near top of the head and temples deep meaning i can hide it by styling.

there are not typical bald patches but the areas have very less hair which makes the scalp visible.

my neck area is fine which as far as i know is the donor area.
    i hope you get the idea by this

6. angel706

angel706 Guest

Farha, without seeing pictures, it is difficult for me (or far more importantly, a hair transplant surgeon) to make a determination about whether the type of hairloss you have makes you a good candidate for surgery.

Here is what I would suggest: Research, research and MORE RESEARCH!!! If you are seriously considering this as an option, you owe it to yourself to find the best surgeons out there. Many of them will do a consultation at no charge (though some have a minimal fee for this) and many of them will do consultations by phone or e-mail once you send them pictures. Do NOT let geography be a limiting factor for you...that is, don't choose a doctor just because he/she is close to where you live.

Do yourself a big favor, and go to http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com. This is a great place to collect information about hair transplants, see the results others have had, get advice, and most importantly, educate yourself. Their list of coalition surgeons include some of the docs who are using the most up-to-date and refined methods and instrumentation that is currently available.

Having said all that, let me give you my own personal opinion about hair transplants for women: They can be moderately helpful, but they are not going to get you back to your old density. You are, after all, not gaining any more hair than you had previously...you are just moving them around to new spots. I think transplants work a lot better for men because for men, having "thinning" hair is still seen as having no hair. For us women, having the "thinning" look is still unacceptable. Having spent the amount of money I did for the results I got, I don't think I would do it again.

Best of luck to you...you've got a lot of research and thinking to do.

7. Friends,

The recipient area (where the grafts are placed) is not shaved. The donor area (the strip where grafts are harvested) will be shaved, but it is also an area that will be taken out surgically so that grafts can be cut out for implantation.

Unless you are very self conscious about your hair and your daily life and self esteem have been severely affected (all of that applies to me), then I recommend wigs or hair pieces before going the surgery route.

That's just my opinion. But if you go the surgery route, know that at the very best, a hair transplant procedure may provide you with the illusion of more hair, but you will still be very thin.

I had my procedure because the hair in front is so thin that my scalp shows through and Toppik just could not conceal it anymore. I don't intend--at least for now--to have another hair transplant. I am hoping that with therapy I will come to accept and be comfortable with wigs.

BIG POINT: If you plan to have a hair transplant procedure,
    make sure that you research your doctor extensively. Read all articles written by him/her. Find out his reputation--not through websites where he may be a paying consultant--through as many channels as you can. Find out if he has specialization with women--most doctors do not. If you can, go with a hair transplant doctor who is also a plastic surgeon and board certified. Do not look for conveniently located doctors or at the cost (cheaper is not always better). And avoid the hair transplant mills like Bosley, etc.

Hope this helps.

8. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

i myself do not know if that is required, but this is the right place to ask

9. scraggy

scraggy Guest

I can only tell you about my pal in Canada that had 3 hair transplant surgeries...and she pd a lot of money, and says she is not satisfied, ofcourse its better than it was, but its not what she had hoped for...and she is now in debt because of it...thats all i can add to this hair transplant subject...but she is not against it..she said she did it because she realised that her hair was not going to grow back, so this was the only answer for her...she uses the lazer comb now, and nioxin and she is going onto rogain....her hair still bothers her more than ever...she is always saying i should do it, and i explained to her i just could never go that route, but each one of us has to do what we can ,to try and make this nightmare more bearable..!

Scraggy.

10. angel706

angel706 Guest

Farha, I wrote another reply to you yesterday, but I haven't seen it show up yet. I referred you to another website as a place to do some additional research, and perhaps that is a no-no.

Anywhoo, I will only echo very loudly what Asian Female said: DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!! A simple Google search will lead you to many places where you can do this. I would avoid the "hair mills," such as any place that uses TV advertising.

I'd also echo what Scraggy had to say about her friend who has had three procedures and is still not satisfied. Transplants will not give you back your original density, and for a lot of women, this is unacceptable. Unfortunately, in our society, it is unacceptable for women to have even "thinning" hair.

Knowing what I know now, I would have saved the chunk of money I spent and saved it up for some really good human hair pieces instead.

Hope this one makes it past the admins...best of luck to you, Farha!

11. wall

wall Guest

I did not have to shave my head.