Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Shedding Again After 7mths On Rogaine

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by nitu1, Aug 8, 2017.

1. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Started Rogaine in sept 2016 every other day and then everyday starting November, had great success, with some regrowth and NO SHED and this lasted till about about mid-April 2017.....then i dont know what changed or happened but the shedding started all over again. I keep hoping it will stop but no such luck so far. I am not sure what to do at this point.
    Has anyone else had this experience with Rogaine? I am using the 5% women's foam once daily. Also take viviscal 2x and iron tablet.

2. Lea

Lea Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Nitu1,

I had the same experience, just one year earlier than you. I started using the foam 5% full time from November 2015 and had great success with it until the beginning of April 2016, I started shedding a lot. I was pretty upset because I thought that Rogaine had stopped working. To be honest, it never really stopped shedding from that point on. I should also add that I never used the full recommended amount, always much less (a little more than a dab on my pointer finger). Since it was enough to start regrowth in the beginning, I didn't want to use more (for fear of health issues). Perhaps if I would have increased the dosage it would have stopped shedding, I don't know. I do think that despite the shedding, Rogaine still helped to slow down hair loss and it did spark some new regrowth, which counterbalanced the hair loss I was experiencing. I recently stopped using Rogaine altogether this past June and have transitioned to hair wearing... now that I'm off Rogaine I can see that the product did make a difference, even while I still was losing hair using it.

3. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    :( I had some regrowth and was feeling my hair getting thicker when it all started to go downhill again, now in august, i feel its back to where it was before starting rogaine. I am hoping, that the shedding will go down and regrowth will kick in, but i feel hopeless for the most part.

4. Maasai

Maasai Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've nitu1,

Are you sure it's not the shed that happens when you've been on rogaine for awhile? I recall that during some of my research I came across people who went through a period of shedding about a year after starting rogaine, then the shedding stopped and they continued regrowing hair again. Maybe give it some more time?

5. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well i will keep with the rogaine as i am more afraid to stop it, but i hope you are right and there will be continued growth :(

6. Pamela.Galloway

Pamela.Galloway New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! The same thing happened to me with almost the exact same timeline. I was using men's 5% foam ( dermatologist recommended the men's formula years ago). I experienced the expected initial shed, then stopped shedding and had a wonderful regrowth - people actually complemented me on my hair! Then about 8 months in something changed - may hair started shedding again and thinning.
    Even with the severe shedding, I refused to stop using Rogaine - I didn't want to lose what little hair I had left. For some reason, I decided to try switching from foam to liquid. I switched to men's 5% liquid and the shedding slowed down, but regrowth was extremely slow, and my hair just looked bad - kind of tired and lifeless.
    I finally went to a barber and had him cut my hair very low - I'm an african american female with a short natural hairstyle. After the hair cut I continued using the 5% liquid. It's been about 2 months now and my hair is starting to look healthier, thinning has definitely decreased and shedding has not returned.
    I'm not sure why any of this happened the way it did, but I will say, I noticed my hair was starting to get very dry from the foam- just before the shedding started. I think maybe the haircut simply got rid of the damaged hair and allowed the regrowth that had started when I discontinued the foam to speed up since my hair was no longer breaking.
    Hope this helps someone.

7. Leelees

Leelees Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Jana,

Can you post the name of this shampoo to this thread, and where it is available. It won't sound like an informercial - lots of posters post their product recommendations. Thanks.

8. Chillynorway

Chillynorway Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not saying that the shampoo doesn't work but everyone should have a healthy dose of skepticism when someone is plugging their own product.

9. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you but your son has a different type of alopecia and i dont know that this would work for me with CTE and aging related i guess.

10. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Did you find the shed has decreased or stabilized. It seems, this is a common thing for a lot of people sadly. I hope the shed reduces for me soon, i feel quite down at times.

11. roro

roro Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Nitu, think I started minoxidil at a similar time to you - sept 2016? Am using 5% once a day. Also seemed to be responding well, but started shedding end May this year. Hoping this is seasonal, as I had a similar shed the exact same time last year. It's still continuing currently (last year it went on until sept/oct; so I didn't reall notice any minoxidil related shedding), but I feel like I've lost some of the progress I've made, which is making me feel down; so I very much know how you feel. Have you been diagnosed with CTE? I'm fairly sure mine is Androgenic alopecia/female pattern hair loss because of family history, but also been experiencing periods of stress in last few years and relatively low iron stores (was prescribed full on iron supplement from the doctor, but have really struggled to get levels up over even 50)

12. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    HI roro,
    I have had shed since my twenties but i had a lot of hair so i didnt start worrying till recently, i definitely have CTE and possibly now Alopecia Areata. My shedding is still there but seems to be stable, may be i will never have that no shed phase again :(

13. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Its not uncommon to have periodic shedding with Rogain and then followed by good regrowth.

Its all over mens forums as happening and looked at like a positive thing.

Just stick with it..

You probably need a DHT fighter though either topical or oral in conjunction with Minoxidil if you can tolerate them.

14. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    sorry disregard my previous post as I though you had androgenic.

If you have areata then its just your auto immune system...I don't know that minoxidil is helping you at all in this. CTE either as these are triggered from body ejecting your hair..where androgenic is DHT that attacks follicle shrinking it..the minoxidil is a vacillator that helps combat androgenic by stimulating hair follicles.

15. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I don't have areata must have been mistype or autocorrect mishap