Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

shedding and rogaine

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by nitu1, May 23, 2017.

1. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi All
    I started on rogaine on sept 2016, i started using every other day and then towards the end of the month i was using it daily. I used the 5% women's foam, 1x at night. My shedding literally stopped, the difference was noticeable. I hadnt had to worry about shed but recently around April 2017, i am noticing shedding again. Its bothering me so much, i just cannot go back to how it was, the stress after every shower. I did slack off a bit on the iron and vitamin d, so i am starting to take the iron more regularly now and will include the vitamin D. I also was on viviscal but not sure if that helps but i am willing to go back on that too.

I guess for those on Rogaine for some time, did you notice increase in shed and did it taper off? Also, what other vitamins were you taking. I dont see a lot of small regrown although even in the 6 mths, i have noticed the crown has filled in a bit so it must be helping. I was hoping the increase in shed wont return :(
    Thanks

2. brown

brown New Member

Dislikes Received:
    SAME BOAT

Hi Nitu. I have been using the rogaine foam for a little more than a year. My shedding never completely stopped but it is pretty normal most of the time. I do go through heavier shed days that sometimes last a week or two and sometimes just a couple days. I always wash my hair forward in the shower so I can see the amount of hair falling. Some days it's a lot. I don't think my hair looks any different after though. I really think that rogaine is saving my hair. I would probably be bald by now.

3. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the response. The increased shed started in April and hasnt really let up yet, i guess thats why i am worried. I noticed it towards the end of one rogaine container, I didnt know if the very bottom stuff wasnt as good so switched to a new bottle but the shedding is continuing. Prior to this, after starting Rogaine, there was a long period where i would shed very little after shower.

When you use rogaine, do you use it till its totally empty or do you leave any behind at the bottom and move onto new container? Not sure if i make sense.

4. brown

brown New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use it till empty. I do find that some cans appear a little more watery but I use it anyhow. I wouldn't worry about the shedding. I must be growing more than I shed because my hair is looking pretty normal.

5. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, do you see a lot of small hair sticking out? I hardly ever do but i think it has filled in for me, i just hope shedding doesnt keep going, i hate shower days, i was starting to not stress and now its all coming bacl :( and just cant go through it all again.

6. brown

brown New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really notice hairs sticking up Nitu. But I have very fine hair. It would be hard to see them. The only time my scalp is visible now is when my hair is wet. I think that is quite normal with fine hair.

7. roro

roro Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Nitu, I started Rogaine at the same time as you - September last year, but used it every day from the start (5% foam every morning). I was shedding at the time anyway, but I did notice a tapering off in shed after a few weeks and over the winter was hardly shedding at all. Since the end of May, I have been experiencing a lot of shedding. I experienced a similar shed at the same time last year too (pre Rogaine use); so it may just be seasonal shedding (I seem to recall others on different threads talking about still experiencing seasonal shedding while on Rogaine). I was also ill about six weeks ago, so it may be a response to that - who knows? My shed has both long and short hairs and it's really stressing me out. I did notice hair growth again after being on Rogaine after a few months use - no huge filling in, but I was comfortable enough to wear my hair down again, which I hadn't done for ages. Both my doctor and hairdresser commented on seeing hair growth too. But now I'm not sure whether I've imagined it, as I think my hair loss seems to be getting worse again - or maybe it's just the same and I'm noticing it more because it's summer. Argh!