Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Signs and Symptoms of PCOS?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by natfan05, Mar 13, 2011.

1. natfan05

natfan05 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    How does one know if they have pcos? I'm waiting on my lab results from the doctor (He did tell me everything was in normal range, including my hormones but thought I should have a copy to post up here)...are hormones the tell-tale sign of PCOS?

Aside from the hairloss...
    Should I feel symptoms of ovarian cysts...like pain?
    I do have oily skin, break out pretty easily but I keep it under control with care, I noticed I have more hair under my chin then I used to so maybe I've "developed" PCOS?

2. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Hello,

I don't know how much I can help, but I will share my experience. I have been diagnosed with PCOS and according to a document that my RE gave me from the American Society for Reproductive Medicine women who demonstrate two of the following 3 three characteristics, in absence of other specific causes of these problems, meet the diagnostic criteria for PCOS:

1) Chronic anovulation

2) Chronic Hyperandrogenism

3) Polycystic appearing ovaries (PCO) on ultrasound

I do not have have Polycystic ovaries and I'm not sure about the anovulation, but since my cycles prior to Metformin were at times irregular, then I believe I was probably not ovulating. I do have complex hemorrhagic cysts that cause me pain, but they are not the kind associated with PCOS. But I definitely have just about all the symptoms of Hyperandrogenism. My worst symptom besides hair loss is acne and oily scalp/skin. And I also have extra hair (hirsuitism) where I shouldn't have it (chin, tummy, and toes).

All my tests were normal, except that I have insulin resistance that had already turned into Diabetes by the time I was diagnosed. My RE has explained that hyperandrogenism does not always show in the blood work. This is hard for me to understancd as I figured it would have to show up, but she explains that I may be having either surges of high levels that return back to normal or I may be higher than what is normal for me. For example, my Testosterone was 35 when tested, but maybe my "normal" is 20 and the high insulin raised me to 35, so my body reacts to this. I hope this makes sense.

It is very confusing, but definitely post your results and I'm sure you will get lots of help. Hope this helps a bit.

3. tennis1986

tennis1986 Guest

I know it can be very different from woman to woman, but my symptoms include:

-very cystic ovaries (shown in ultrasound)
    -occasional ovarian pain, but fairly rare and doesn't really impact my life
    -hair loss on scalp
    -abnormal hair growth on arms
    -absence of periods for long lengths of time

However, after running the battery of tests, I'm a little strange in that I have perfect sugar/insulin levels and thus wouldn't benefit from Metformin (spelling?) at all. My only hormone which showed up as "off" was testosterone. I'm now on a combo of Yaz + Spironolactone and feel pretty good. :)

4. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Actually you could still benefit from metformin when you wil get off the bcp for example.
    Insulin resistance does not show in bloodwork.

5. tennis1986

tennis1986 Guest

Interesting - I did not know that at all! I'll have to keep that in mind when it is time to go off the BCP. ;)

6. aries

aries Guest

Dying curls - What pill are you on? I'm thinking of going back on. Also, have you changed your diet/sugar intake? If so, has it helped?

7. aries

aries Guest

I called my doctor today to go back on the pill and she was not available. I spoke to another doctor in the practice and she said with my family history of stoke and the migraines with visual disturbances, do not take the pill.

8. VMmom

VMmom Guest

Strangely enough, Metformin has been found to benefit even thin women with PCOS and/or those who do not test as IR. I am one of those thin, non-IR women and have been on Metformin off & on for a few years. It is the only thing I take. I think it helps regulate my periods, though it doesn't really do much for the other symptoms that I can tell. For me it is mainly acne/oily skin and now hair loss apparently. I am also kinda hairy (arms & legs) but that's a family trait so I'm not sure it's the PCOS affecting me or not.