Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Skyla IUD and Rogaine

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by losing_it, Nov 20, 2016.

1. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! My hair loss began probably 6 years ago, and three years ago I stopped birth control due to it. I don't think the birth control really had anything to do with it, but I went off in hopes that it would miraculously stop the hair loss. It did not. Anyway fast forward three years and Rogaine is the ONLY thing that has helped me. It has been an absolute miracle for me, and I thank my lucky stars for it every day as I am applying it.

So, let me get to the point. I recently got into a very happy and committed relationship, and we are just terrible about using condoms, so I quickly decided I needed some form of birth control. I decided on the Skyla because it is the lowest hormone device available other than the Paraguard (which I had horrendous periods on, and thus had it removed ~8 months after insertion. Now that the Skyla is in, I am so paranoid that my hair loss might come back. Obviously I am still using Rogaine, so hopefully the Rogaine will overpower any possible chance of that, but I can't shake the anxiety right now.

Does anyone have experience with the Skyla? Or experience with using Rogaine while on any form of birth control? Thanks in advance!

2. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    losing it, I am also considering Skyla for HRT. Before my premature ovarian failure, I had the same trouble with the Paraguard. As I understand it, the progesterone is very low, and very local. I'd love to know how you're doing on it. I hope it's working for you and not making things worse.

3. lmunoz10

lmunoz10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi losing it! I am interested in this topic as well!

I'm also wondering if my birth control is contributing at all, although I've resigned myself to believe that it probably won't help if I stop taking it, either. I take Lutera, which has some androgen activity and I have been on this pill for about 5 years. I've heard about the horrendous hair loss that occurs after stopping or switching birth control so that's the only thing keeping me on it. Did you experience this at all?

I'm thinking I might take the plunge because I really want to wean myself off of stuffing myself with hormones, and Skyla was one of the options that I was very interested in. I will keep you updated on any changes on this side. In the meantime, I'd love to hear about any others who have already tried Skyla.

4. losing_it

Dislikes Received:
    So far so good! I was going through a high shed period for a while, but I think it's just a Rogaine cycle shed, since it came on almost immediately after the insertion (not enough time for it to be the cause), and it's been a little up and down since then. I'll definitely try to update a couple months from now!

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Lutera. I was on Trivora for quite a few years before I got off birth control all together. I was hormone free for 2 years before turning to Rogaine. I don't attribute my hair loss to birth control since I was hormone free for so long without any improvement (and actually it was wrosening). But so far, so good on the Skyla. I have been spotting every day since I got it, which makes me worried about my ferritin, but I've been trying to remember to take an iron supplement every day. I will update in a few months!

5. lmunoz10

lmunoz10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the update!:)

6. losing_it

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! Just wanted to give an update. It's been a little over two and a half months since I got my Skyla and I have been shedding a lot on and off since then. I feel that I am losing some volume but not massively. I am at a loss of what to do. Fortunately I do have a gyn appointment for my annual in a little over a week, but I mentioned hair loss to her in the first appointment and she didn't appear to be familiar with it.

I'd like to give the Skyla more time to see if this is just a phase (which I've been through before on Rogaine), or if it is truly the IUD. I'd also like to add Spironolactone to my regimen to see if that helps. Since the shedding is bothering me I need to have a conversation with my boyfriend about it, I've never told him about my hair loss or Rogaine use yet (we've been together for 3 months and I am VERY happy). I am nervous to talk to him about it, but I think hiding it will ultimately do more damage in the long run.

Anyway, I'll definitely give an update a few weeks or a month from now, but as of right now I am not feeling good about the Skyla and think there is a good chance I will get it removed eventually.

7. Chasrogers01

Chasrogers01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the update. All of this information is so helpful to me. I hope your shedding stops soon! Let us know if you decide to try Spironolactone and what you decide about the bc.

8. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi losing_it,
    May I ask how long have you been using Rogaine? I have been on rogaine for 2 years and periodic shedding on Rogaine seems to be normal. It is hard to say how long they will last. But regarding birth control, I have noticed it is really hard o say which one cause hair loss and which ones don't. anything that messes with your hormones has a chance of causing hair loss. The best thing is really Condoms I have realized since it doesn't mess with your hormones.

9. LosingHope

LosingHope New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I too am in the same seemingly sinking boat.

Was on Spironolactone 50mg and no BC and life was good. Added in ortho cyclen, which I am told is a traditional go to and 4 months in I'm shedding 300+ in showers. Tried to fix it a year later per drs advice and went off Spironolactone (dumb dumb dumb) and lost more hair. Quit ortho and yep, lost more.

Now I need BC back in my life and I'm torn. A few endos told me mirena and an estrogen patch but that seems like such a gamble, right? So I was thinking Sklya like you but read more horror stories about acne and hair loss. Acne seems very controlled with 150mg Spironolactone that I'm currently on and adding Yaz made me want to drive off a cliff over the holidays so I quit that and ugh, what to do!?

I think I want my hair first and foremost and can live with condoms but being on Spironolactone, what if GOD FORBID it breaks?

This is all consuming for me.. guessing it is the same for you ladies. I'm driving all 3,207,435 of my drs crazy :(

10. losing_it

Dislikes Received:

I have been on Rogaine for 1.5 years. I know that periodic shedding is normal and this could possibly be all that it is, but I am still very nervous, since I got the Skyla right around 2.5 months ago. My hair is pouring out of my head right now. I will admit that about 1 year ago exactly I had a big shed. I am not planning on getting my Skyla removed until some time passes because I don't want to make any decisions I will regret.

Unfortunately my boyfriend is uncircumcised and well endowed, so condoms really bother him because they rub on his foreskin. And I know this to be a fact because he constantly got soft when we were first dating and I wasn't on birth control. So I need to find something! I've thought about some of the low androgenic birth controls but I just haven't done enough research to feel comfortable with them yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh boy do I feel your pain! I haven't experienced acne at all yet, but my hair is coming out like mad and it is really hard to remain calm when this is going on! I've never used Spironolactone but I am thinking that is my next move. Other than the hair loss (which may or may not even have anything to do with the Skyla), I love it! I had a lot of spotting at the beginning but that is now gone.

As I posted in a previous comment, my boyfriend really can't do condoms because he is uncircumcised and they rub on his foreskin and hurt him. I know he would tell me that he can deal with it if it is important to me, but I hate to put that burden on our relationship. I feel that I need to figure out something for birth control that is not condoms, and as you said, it's just SUCH a gamble, every time. I'm feeling hopeless right now :(

11. losing_it

Dislikes Received:
    Latest update! My shedding seems to have slowed down a bit, but it is still troubling to me. Like an average day now would be my previous high shed days, whereas a couple weeks ago every day was off the charts, haha. I still think I will have my Skyla exchanged for the Paraguard, but I don't feel like it is an emergency anymore. I think I will have it exchanged next month unless the shedding drastically slows down.

12. Ruth

Ruth Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Losing iT. Could a copper iud be the solution for you. It is without hormones

13. losing_it

Dislikes Received:
    Yep that is what I am going to try next. It is a bummer because I had the copper one a few years back but removed it because the periods are really heavy. Back then I was single and using condoms anytime I had sex anyway, so it wasn't worth the heavy periods. But now that I need a reliable form of BC and the Skyla seems to be affecting my hair, I suppose the heavy periods will be worth it. Just giving updates because I know some people were interested in how the Skyla might work out. Sadly, it seems to not be a great option.

14. losing_it

Dislikes Received:
    Just thought it was about time for an update!

What's going on: I self removed my Skyla on February 13, so that is nearly 7 weeks ago now. I am still shedding ridiculous amounts, but perhaps slightly less than while it was in (more "this is distressing" amounts versus "sheer panic mode" amounts). My hair has definitely lost some volume, not a crazy amount, maybe 10-20%. I'm sure it is not noticeable to other people, but I notice it with little hints such as, I am an operating room nurse and my OR cap feels less full... my bun falls more easily when I am working out... my ponytail circumference feels smaller in my fingers... my temples are definitely showing more than they were just a few months ago.

How I feel: Like ****. I knew that getting the IUD would be a risk, but when you are in recovery, you just don't remember how devastating the actual process of losing hair is. I dread getting into the shower each day. I wince and feel defeated each time I find a hair that has fallen throughout the day. Ahh, how wonderful it was to not experience this for over a year. As terrified as I am, I realize that even if the state of my hair gets as bad as it was before I began using Rogaine, it was pretty much fully recovered within 9 months of starting Rogaine. That gives me hope!

What I'm doing about it: At the suggestion of another user here, I have bumped my Rogaine usage up from once per day to twice per day, although I use about a half dose in the morning. So 1/4 cap full in the morning, and 1/2 capful in the evening. My boyfriend and I are using condoms currently. We had talked about me getting the Paragard, but I told him I don't feel comfortable doing that until my hair goes back to normal, and he totally understood. I have been using Maca to rebalance my hormones, but I've stopped for the time being since they say to give yourself breaks every so often. Does anyone have experience with Maca?

The future: I have been trying to clean up my eating, but certainly still need to cut back on sugar. I've also decided that if this is still going on beyond 3 months I will have another round of PRP. If that doesn't help perhaps I will try Traditional Chinese Medicine again. I was doing both of those shortly before I started using Rogaine and I attributed all of my success to Rogaine, but who knows, perhaps it was a blend of those things. We will see! I will continue to fight this, and I will NEVER mess with my hormones again. I will take this as a lesson learned. If it never stops and I have to go back to extensions, at least I already have experience with it, so it should be easier than before :)

Final thoughts: Hair loss sucks. I have known for a long time that it is something I will be dealing with lifelong, and I do believe that it is easier this time around. I feel that I've learned a lot about myself during my bouts of hair loss. Doesn't make it easy, but at least I know there will be "ups" along with the "downs." Love you guys! We're all in this together, in some way, shape, or form.

15. ERNurse

ERNurse New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My husband is intact (uncircumcised) as well, which is AMAZING for sex (check out sexasnatureintendedit.com and yourwholebaby.org ). He’s very sensitive too and wearing a condom ruins the gliding action of his foreskin, decreasing pleasure for both of us. I have the Skyla IUD currently, but am having a lot of hair loss, so want to get it removed. We are done having kids (we have 4) so I’m going to try and convince him to get a vasectomy. Unless he’s up for having more lol!