Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

SO FRUSTRATED!!!! Was improving, crash and burned and lost it all

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Heron, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Heron

Heron Member

Dislikes Received:
    So I was using Rogaine, was taking Desogen, and 26 mg Iron supplements, plus B complex. Everything was going well after my biopsy. I was starting to see everything fill in again.

Then all of a sudden I started losing hair again - a TE shed as it was coming out in 'groups' on the top and sides. I happened to have an endocrinologist visit that found my TSH at .4, the very bottom of the acceptable range or it's in the hyperthyroid range. So I groaned and figured that that was why I was losing hair again, plus I would suffer from hair loss again shifting the thyroid dose.

So I dropped my thyroid dose and 7 weeks later my hair was still falling out. Usually the thyroid dose change only goes on for a month or so with me. I went back for my TSH lab test after the dose change yesterday and I happened to have an open order for ferritin and iron. I wasn't really supposed to do this for another 2 months or so, but I figured why not.

Well, my ferritin has gone from a hard-won 34 to 28 in two months, with supplementing the same!!!! It's probably from exercise, or maybe thyroid problems, I don't freaking know. All I know is that I lost weight to look better, and now I'm all messed up.

MY HAIR LOOKS TERRIBLE. THE WORST IT HAS EVER LOOKED. Just when it was looking better!!!!

I am so angry at my body right now, really, body, WTF! Going on 4 years of this crap!!!! I have no idea whether it's the iron, thyroid, or what...although I have noticed being more tired lately, so I'm betting it's the ferritin!

Worst part is I seem to be allergic to most iron preparations so I have to find a way to up the dosage as 26 mg isn't doing it for me, and any more made me really itchy or sick.

2. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    So sorry to read this Heron. It can be so devestating. I also thought I was getting a bit better, but today it suddenly was around the 300 hairs again after combing it only.

It could very well be the ferritin. Have you thought about iron infusions?

I try to think now: All I can do is live life healthy and reduce stress, and if my hair still want to leave me than there is nothing else to do, but it is a hard journey. I am also over the 4 years of hair loss now.

3. DisTressing

DisTressing Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I echo that..WTF! Iron also has made me extremely ill. I just had an upper endoscopy yesterday which revealed gastritis inflammation that I suffered with several years ago, and I believe the iron wrecked my stomach again. I now take 27 mg's every other day in the form of a chewable tablet, by Nature's Plus. I don't know where I am now with my ferritin levels but this is the best I can do and even that sometimes gives me lower abdominal pain. I don't really have any other words of wisdom on this, as either of the culprits you mentioned may be the evil forces behind your hair loss, and it may be a factor of both of those things.

4. CLC

CLC Member

Dislikes Received:
    You briefly mentioned weight loss - that makes my hair fall out like crazy.

5. bc2005

bc2005 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    When did you start desogen? I am in that as well.

6. Heron

Heron Member

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt anyone would give me iron infusions for a Ferritin of 28. 34 seems to be my magic number for normal levels of shed.

I am doing a lot of reading about iron supplement tolerance (I have problems with this). I started exercising more and it had a large impact, obviously. I had been supplementing with 36 mg elemental iron because that was all I could tolerate. Over the months it seems I have adjusted to this dose so I will add another morning dose as well, probably of 25. Then we can go from there and see if I can increase it more.

I was under the impression I was allergic to iron supplements but now I suspect I was linking two things in my mind that weren't linked. Low iron can cause eczema, which I have. I have noticed myself getting more itchy lately, so it is likely that as the iron went up the eczema disappeared. Hopefully the additional iron (and I will buy liver pills too) will get me back up and into the 40s at least.

If I hadn't impulsively 'cashed in' that test I would really be back to square one, even taking supplements! Meanwhile the hair falls and falls.

bc2005, I have been taking desogen since January of this year. No problems.

7. Heron

Heron Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is day 2 of 90mg of iron supplements. I am doing ok. Shed was significantly down today but I'm sure that's just fluctuation as I haven't been taking the higher dose for very long at all.

8. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    hey heron, just a thought... how long have you been on rogaine? I had a MAJOR shed about 7 months after starting rogaine. It lasted for about 3 weeks and had a lot of regrowth after the shed... maybe that's what you're experiencing now.

9. Heron

Heron Member

Dislikes Received:
    My shed's been going on about 7 weeks, gradually worsening, and that timeline matches up with my labs. Not saying it isn't but right now it's really looking like ferritin.

Honestly I would love to stop the Rogaine and may try if my hair ever fills in again. I didn't have a huge shed and I don't think I have Androgenetic Alopecia.