Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

So frustrating

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by uhmeeliabedelia, Dec 24, 2013.

1. First off, before I start complaining I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! :) haha

Second, I was just searching for a wig online and I'm having such a difficult time! I still haven't found one that's exactly the right fit for me. I feel like every advertisement or almost every wig review video on youtube is geared toward African American women :( It's so hard to find a wig (that's reasonably priced) for caucasion girls.

Please help! If you have any advice on how to find a good wig, or any of your "go-to" wig sites that'd be awesome if you could share!

In the past I've used fairywigs.com, but they take forever to deliver and I still haven't been able to find an every day wig from them.

2. Porshiana

Porshiana Member

Dislikes Received:
    uhmeelia, im not quite sure what your looking for. could you elaborate being a little more specific? what is your hairloss type? A good many African American women wear wigs simply to make their hair have a more caucasion texture, so perhaps you would be surprised how well they do look on caucasion women. if you look at my pictures, this is valerie by freetress equal, a wig aimed toward and worn by african american woman, shown on an african american model if you look up images on google

- - - Updated - - -

COLOR4_3.jpg 51SmCc5QQ7L._AA160_.jpg CAM00092.jpg CAM00090.jpg
    My freetress valerie on different races of models and then on myself. dont mind me i just woke up. this is a few weeks old and brushed out. it dependson how you style them. you kind of make them your own.

3. Porshiana, thanks for the reply. I'm a lace front type person and I've purchased free tress equal as well as sensatinnel in the past. Neither really worked for me :/ I tried to make it look natural but the lace was too dark and it was just way too much hair for my head. You're completely right though about making them your own, I just need to find a system that works for me I guess..

4. Porshiana

Porshiana Member

Dislikes Received:
    I thought the lace color was a problem too. Until i was shown it is conpletely insignificant. Do you still have your old lace fronts? If so pull them out. Use some tweezers to pull hairs out at the hairline to make it more uneven and natural. Then Cut the lace off completely to the hairline. Right up to the hairs. Thentake nail or cuticle clippers and cut and edges of lace that doesnt have hairs on it, making the lace edge crawl further into the hairline. Then, since you were unhappy with them anyway, try. to research and or determine the easiest wayto thin the wig. It must be possible. You can try different areas of the wig. Removing every other layer of hair or pulling hairs from each layer or cutting out the lowest layers. I'm sure somethingcould work.

5. psychpharm

psychpharm Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi umeelia. I don't know if you have seen this girl's channel but she had dark hair and had alopecia and wears wigs.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/my0little0secret?feature=mhee

She does some video reviews I believe. and shows how she bonds her hair.

I *think* at one point she said she ordered from this chinese vendor:
    http://www.rpgshow.com/

Even if that isn't what you are looking for, I like to watch her videos and wanted to show her to you!

6. Porshiana

Porshiana Member

Dislikes Received:
    I bond similarly, just ultrahold, tape, and then more ultrahold instead of ghost bond. But its tacky and if your not careful dust can stick to it causing a mess. So i bond behind the hairline so the wig completely covers it. For the edge itself i used to use clear nail polish and tap it with a Brush while drying to dull the shine. I recently bought gluture medical grade skin glue and use it instead and its awesome too. Both dry solid and eliminate any tacky dusty hairlines. But the polish flakes and must be replied every day or two. This glue is the bomb diggity. First time ever using and I've had it on 5 days no problems, not even needing a touch up yet. I used such a thin line too.

7. psychpharm, I actually have seen her youtube videos! she's awesome isn't she?! She's the one who inspired me to start wearing wigs in the first place. The first time I tried to apply a full lace wig like that I made such a mess :/ I haven't tried again since. I'm really angry right now though because I just bought a front lace human hair wig from fairy wigs.com and it looks nothing like the picture, is extremely dried out, and just looks terrible. I'm so angry, I spent like $150 on it. UGH. I'm starting to think that spending $300-$400 is the only way to get a decent looking wig.

8. askalice

askalice Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    RE:I'm so angry, I spent like $150 on it. UGH. I'm starting to think that spending $300-$400 is the only way to get a decent looking wig.

That is true. $150 is crazy cheap for a hh wig. If you have quite severe alopecia you might try a comfort wig from Fortune-about $400. Fabulous hair made from nicely treated Mongolian hair. The comfort cap has PU around the front so you can either let it suction onto your bald scalp or use some tape.

9. askalice, have you gotten a Fortune wig before? I've seen pictures and they do look nice. Do they sell lace wigs?

10. Eve

Eve Guest

I know this question is for Askalice, but I just wanted to add my experience with Fortune wigs.
    I have purchased one Eroupean HH wig from Fortune, which was $3,000 & two Mangolian HH wigs. The Mangolian wigs were $800 each.
    The Eroupean hair is very soft & silky. It feels amazing! The Mangolian hair is nice too, just a little coarser texture, but really worth the money. They look undetectable. Fortune wigs are very thick & bulky at first , but after a good hair cut they look amazing!

11. Eve, thanks for your reply. I need all the suggestions I can get. $3,000?! how long did that one last... That's a lot of money, not sure if I could ever afford anything like that. But $800 is probably do-able if I save. Did you get the wig online or at a shop?

12. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi
    Just thought I would chime in, I have two Fortune wigs one Mazali and the other is a Comfort. I think they are good value for money and I found their customer service excellent. I bought both mine online although because of my small head I did speak to them on the phone. I think my comfort cost about $479 the Mazali was a bit more expensive. I have had my Mazali for nearly two years and it still looks really good, my Comfort I have only had since September. I love both my wigs and they are lasting a lot longer compared to what I have had in the past for a lot more money. They are quite generous with their length of hair too I was surprised with both mine how long they were.

Hope that helps :)

btw no they dont do lace wigs only front lace but you have to visit their salon to have it fitted

13. Eve

Eve Guest

Yes, $3,000 was a lot of money! I purchased it seven months ago. It is in great shape. I don't wear my wigs as much, because I still have lots of hair. I mostly wear toppers.
    Yes, I did order them online. Their customer service is excellent. They don't do lace wigs. Their Mazali is skin top. If you try that, you may not want to go back to lace. With lace, you can still see the knots, but with skin top, you can't.

14. askalice

askalice Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for that fast reply. About lace wigs-no- but I think it worth asking if they would do a custom order of a lace front type of cap. My Fortune is mid blond Mongolian hair and very nice-if a company can do blond hair that stays soft, that is pretty great.

15. Carol617

Carol617 Guest

Hi, I'm also is my 20s. It's so frustrating we have to face this in this age:(. I'm from Asia(Taiwan), it is really hard to find nice wig , too. I've recently bought this wig online(gemtress wig) it looked nice on thus girl. If you buzz your hair I think you can wear it with no glue or tape. I haven't received it yet, maybe I can share after I receive it.
    http://www.heralopecia.com/forum/topics/update-on-my-gemstress-wig?xg_source=activity

carol :)

16. Carol, I hope that one works out for you! Definitely please do share pictures once you get it!

17. Honestly I would go TOWARDS the wigs for Alopecia Areata women, since they are the majority of wig wearers and have better insight into the industry. You can get a great wig from sites that cater to African American women, just order it in your size, I see white women wearing "black women" wigs all the time and they look great.
    You might want to look into a glueless lace front wig, where you can specify the lace color (try RGPshow) and then you won't have to worry about the adhesives that come along with full lace wigs.
    I won't touch glue, but when I've worn wigs before, I would add my own tape tabs with clear duct tape of all things and use a red-liner tape I got from HairDirect, it was very secure.
    Good luck!