Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

So I'm thinking it might be the ferritin... (first time posting)

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by eggplant, Nov 21, 2014.

1. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi my name is eggplant. I've had hair loss going on for over a year (not quite sure when it started, but I started to notice something was off in Sept 2013). Have probably lost about half of it by now. I've been diagnosed for over 10 years with congenital adrenal hyperplasia (I'm 29 now) and have been on spironolactone since then. At first I thought that might be the culprit, but last spring I talked to my endocrinologist and she said my form was too mild and my numbers weren't off enough for that to be it (we also started me on BCP -- a norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol combo at the time figuring that couldn't hurt). But the hair loss proceeded as before. Saw my primary and ran blood tests in June. He said my iron and vitamin D were low and to take supplements and a biotin supplement. Started a multivitamin with 18mg iron and 1,000 IU vitamin D, and have been taking Biotin (I forget the strength, but I doubt it's had any effect anyway because.....)... the hair loss has continued to proceed. (One other thing I have considered during all this is that it could be that I've been washing my hair less which I've read can cause hair loss and more recently I've tried washing it more. Still waiting for any results on that one).

I've also been reading about the possibility of low ferritin, and I finally got a hold of my actual test results from June and:

Ferritin: 9.9

What do you all think? Is it a likely culprit? I'm suspicious I'm still not getting enough iron with a number that low and no change in my condition. Any supplement recs? Should I bother running any by my doctor?

ETA: Also wanted to add that I have a derm appointment next months. It's with a new office and I'm seeing the PA (I had to wait months just to get an appointment with a PA). I made it for a mole check but I hope they can help with this issue too. Do you think they would do a biopsy or make me wait? I'm starting to get to the point where I feel like I won't have any hair left if I'm not aggressive enough about it. I'm also on the verge of losing my mind. The stress is affecting my mental (and probably physical) health.

#1 eggplant, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, Your ferritin is really low. Mine was at 16 when I started supplementing. It took me over 6 months but I raised it to 113. Unfortunately, we then cut back on the iron and it plummeted back to 43 and then to 69 and last test two months ago, back down to 63. So I am also working to get it back up again. I feel like I am mainlining iron! As far as hair loss, I'm not sure it's made a lot of difference for me. I keep hoping though. I have friends who have low ferritin and have full heads of thick hair but everyone is different. For overall health though most definitely work on getting that number up and your hair health may just follow!