Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

So Many Women With Unknown Caused Hair Loss...

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by TinaM1968, Oct 31, 2018.

1. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

#1 TinaM1968, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    MouseGraft likes this.
  2. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    Tina,
    What else can cause miniaturization? I have hormonal hair loss that was triggered by a supplement. Started at TE, turned to CTE and now doctors say Androgenetic Alopecia. Hardly any new growth in 3 years. Pretty much what falls out, stays out.
    My zinc is slightly low, ferritin started at only 17. (I just asked for that to be checked and she did a panel but not that, so annoying) I had a full thyroid panel and PCOS blood work and all of it came back normal. When I look at it most of the numbers are right in mid range. I have Seb Derm too that causes itching and graininess.
    I am not overly convinced I don't have some underlying issue. But I can't wait forever and I am going to start Rogaine soon before it gets any worse.

3. C89

C89 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your very interesting posts. I have had no luck with the medical profession - lots of referrals and blood tests that all returned 'normal' but resulted in a final diagnosis of 'unknown'. I am very interested in your anecdote above about the woman who regrew her temples as I have no hair on the sides of my head and feel like I have tried everything! Can you tell me what she worked on and how she was able to get her thyroid numbers in check? Is it something someone without a diagnosis or reliable medical support could try on their own? Thanks.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  4. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    It was a DIM supplement. It was to help regulate my hormones. It was recommended by a Naturopath. I was on one brand for a couple years with no issues and then switched brands and was on it for a year before I realized it was probably the brand change! Two weeks after I stopped those pills my shedding drastically reduced, but never fully stopped and now nothing real grows back.
    I had a biopsy done and it said that there is some miniaturization but it is so subtle that a clinical context would be needed to be sure. If it is that subtle then why do I see my scalp and have no growth??
    My body treats me like I am in peri menopause but I am only 34 and still get periods, though they are very irregular.
    My zinc is just below the bottom normal at 54 and it says the range is 60-130. So I need to raise that for sure.

5. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    Tina.
    Can I ask your age? My loss seems so similar to yours. I was told I had such subtle miniaturization from a biopsy that a clinical context was also needed to be sure. Mine definitely started as a TE, continued into a CTE. Now it seems like Androgenetic Alopecia and really looking at my mom, I think she has similar thinning, mine just was triggered 25 years younger than hers was :( No one else in my family has actual loss, just some thinner hair. My dad even has his hair still! Though it has thinned out since he has turned 60. (I will add that he is also incredibly unhealthy and I am certain has many nutrient deficiencies)
    I am gearing up to start rogaine and it is stressing me out! One of three things will happen, it will work great and I will be thrilled. It will not work and that will be disappointing. Or the worst option, it will cause a huge shed and not regrow anything :( I think most people fall into the first two categories, but it is still a worry of mine.

6. C89

C89 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your reply. I never hear of anyone curing hair loss at the temples, so I was just curious how it may have been achieved. I've tried everything at this point, but only supplements and vitamins that had no obvious risks and logically had a chance of making a difference. At this point I'm taking nothing and that's fine by me since it's tiring and expensive! I will always give something a fair try if it makes sense, but there's not much more you can do when you've exhausted the whole medical route including skin biopsies etc. only for the final diagnosis to read 'unknown'! I'll just keep going and looking for answers on my own. All the best to you and I hope you have a positive outcome soon. :)