Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

So, what HAS worked for you?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by lemongrass, May 20, 2011.

1. lemongrass

lemongrass Guest

I thought it would be helpful to have a thread on treatments that have helped some people with their hair loss.

2. Hayley

Hayley Guest

Dianette and Rogaine.

3. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rogaine (5% foam),, but not enough

4. Hayley

Hayley Guest

This made me think that i should have said more. Rogaine and Dianette hasnt been a "cure" that gave me all the hair back that i had before, but its given me enough.

5. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes I think I should have just been happy with what I got.. a LOT of people would have been happy with my results. But once it started effecting my face, it reminded me that it doesn't just sit around on my head and it could start effecting other things.. I'm too anal to use something that won't give me all my hair and too paranoid about the side effects. Not sure what I'll do when something great comes along.. there's a down side to everything. All I know is, I'll only stick with something that makes it possible for me to throw away the concealer and pack away the hats..

6. Hayley

Hayley Guest

Its all up to the individual. You might have seen my hair and thought "oh my god i wouldnt be happy with that!" haha its just what you think you can cope with. I havent had all those side effects that you have, although when i do eventually stop my skin might improve loads and i'll realise that actually my skin was affected but if i did have all those effects, i'd probably make the same choice as you.

7. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's exactly it.. what we can each cope with. I'm really glad to see you happy with your results so far. I doubt very much you're getting any of my side effects without knowing it though.. I'm pretty sure you'd know, so that's awesome.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my last post so anyone thinking about trying rogaine that might be reading this won't take what I said to mean it didn't work for me. It did, it just didn't work enough in the areas I needed it the most.

8. lemongrass

lemongrass Guest

What kind of results did you get?

9. Pink

Pink Guest

for me it would be taking no stress...
    when I am not under any stress, my hair shed is 10-15, otherwise 150-160 or even more

10. RugBug

RugBug Guest

worked as far as stopping the shed??? not a single thing. nada...zero.

worked for my over all health? working out, vitamins and sunshine

worked for my emotional well being? this forum and the friends I've made here...my friend and trainer at the gym....Flora and David.

worked as far as acceptance? putting things in proper perspective and laughing about it as often as possible. oh...and Toppik.

11. lemongrass

lemongrass Guest

I don't know why people are so obsessed with monitoring how many hairs fall out every day. What matters in the long run is how much you're growing, not how much is falling. As long as you grow enough to replace the fall and maintain your current density, that's all that matters.

12. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Lemongrass, I used to be a 'hair monitor'. That is because my first clue I was losing hair was massively, suddenly shedding boatloads more than I ever did in 41 years of living. In 6 months of noticeable increased shedding, I lost over 40% of my hair. Now, of course I would not have measured a 40% decrease in my ponytail if I grew back hair 'fast enough'; but clearly, the shed was greater than normal for me and growth wasn't likely to suddenly accelerate too, KWIM? It wasn't 'OMG how many hairs am I losing' but 'OMG this is soooo unusual; how bad is it'?

sooo.. 'hair counters' count, I think, because it is an indicator of more hair loss before it becomes visibly evident - IF like me, one is losing hair rapidly.

I stopped counting at some point as a) I can tell how many hairs pretty closely just looking at a pile of hair, and b) I can no longer be bothered to know, since I feel my loss is hopeless anyway. But for sure I understand the urge to count. It's something we can *know*.

13. dying curls

dying curls Guest

balancing my hormones with BCP / HRT

14. Maelle

Maelle Guest

Nothing really yet.

15. as324.

as324. Guest

Changing diet. taking all my supps.

16. RugBug

RugBug Guest

and.....it HAS worked? As234.... did your shed decrease and you've regrown hair? Is there hope? 'cuz I feel like I'm spending a half an hour everyday that I'll never get back....taking all these supplements..... but IF, in the long run, there is a payback...of any kind...I'll gladly do it.

17. Chickadee

Chickadee Guest

Suppressing my (rollercoaster perimenopausal) ovaries with Yasmin
    Bioidentical estrogen during the week of my period (Estrogel)
    Bioidentical progesterone during the last two weeks of my cycle

Also:
    Low carbohydrate diet to lower blood glucose and cortisol
    Betaine to help absorb protein and iron
    Reduced-gluten diet to help absorb iron
    Sleep, sleep, and more sleep to help recover from adrenal stress
    Sublingual B12
    Vitamin D for overal hormonal health

18. as324.

as324. Guest

At rugbug,

yeah it has haha..i thought i said this a bunch of times on the boards before. i used to lose 150+ hairs per day every day and now the average is around 30. I dont know if i have new growth yet but I probably do. I can't really check for new growth because my part is still tight except the right temple, and i dont expect that to start filling in until after awhile. but i just lose a normal amnt of hair at this point insteaed of my 150+, it used to be awful i could pull at my hair for all hours of the day and gobs of hair would come out.

19. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    How long did that go on for?

20. aries

aries Guest

as324 - Could you please list what you take under your regimen section? Thanks.